Call signs and ATC question

Kirk

So, another beginner question... When I speak to ATC and say something along the lines of, "Delta Echo Xray Sierra Whisky with Romeo..." what is the "with Romeo" part referring to?
Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Hi Kirk,

My amateur understanding (I don't pretend to be an expert on this subject) of what is meant by "with Romeo" after the callsign ((Delta Echo X-ray Sierra Whiskey) most likely the aircraft Rego))

in the Phonetic alphabet, eg; Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey X-ray Yankee Zulu).

"Romeo" is more or less the same as saying "Roger" or "message understood received loud and clear". Just a throwback to the early days of radio communication (morse code) where messages were needed to be understood as received ready to receive further instructions which were in unambiguous alphabetical format.

Cheers Jethro

A quick read through this link might explain better, along with other radio callsign useful info.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pilot-call-signs-from-A-Z

Romeo" is more or less the same as saying "Roger"

Nope. While Jethro would be right if "with Romeo" were part of the call sign, the "with" is the clue that it's not part of the call sign, but instead is shorthand for, "And I have information Romeo." That means that you have listened to the ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service) broadcast identified as Romeo, which is updated at least every hour (more often if things change much). The ATIS gives weather and runway information, among other things, and each update is identified with the next letter from the phonetic alphabet (which Jethro has listed above), so that the next hour will be "information Sierra," then Tango, etc. After Zulu it goes back to Alpha.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Inuss nailed it on the head. Just reminds me of a first date I had once when my callsign was Cessna 4NR. I believe it was in November as well. My date thought I was a little egotistical everytime I would radio in as Four November Romeo. I couldn't convince her it was just aviation talk. Happy Friday!

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

Much appreciated Inuss, thankyou:), I have learned something valuable:cool:. ( I am at this moment squirting BBQ sauce on both feet, perhaps they will be tastier where they are now firmly wedged in my mouth, ha ha! I did say, I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject.

Also thanks to Kirk, thankyou for asking the Q, we can all learn something new each day I certainly did.

Cheers Jethro

Archived