B17 Flight "Yankee Lady" Willow Run Airport - May 2008

I thought I would share a ride I had in the B-17 "Yankee Lady" which flies out of Willow Run airport in Michigan. Normally it's only a 15 minute ride but that particular day there was a photo shoot scheduled of the aircraft in flight. We were honored with a flight of 1 hour and 15 minutes. It's an experience I will never forget.

Looking towards the cockpit in flight

DSC00043.JPG

Towards the tail out of the observation window

DSC00045.JPG

Starboard gunner's window

DSC00047.JPG

Out the nose looking north above the Detroit River

DSC00051.JPG

Gunner's window again with the view of .50 cal.

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

Starboard engine view while making a turn

DSC00061.JPG

Another gunner view

DSC00062.JPG

Ammo belt to the .50 cal

DSC00065.JPG

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ball turret

DSC00067.JPG

Coming in for the landing. View from the Radio Operator window.

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

P1001416.jpg

P1001417.jpg

P1001419.jpg

Had to throw in a picture of my C-172 I owned back then :-)

P1001422.jpg

P1001423.jpg

P1001431.jpg

I was inside for that landing picture. The wife took it from in front of the museum.

P1001444.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - What an experience for you! That is one beautiful aircraft, I do love the bare metal, but what a bear to keep polished! Oh, and I do like your C172 also!

Thanks so much for sharing the pics with us David! Some, most of us will never have an opportunity like that, so it does give us a chance to see from someone else's camera! I also like to view all the videos out there on YouTube! Never get tired of them, always something you missed the first go around!

Rick :cool:

Thanks for all the comments. For about the last 10 minutes of the flight, I sat in the radio operator's station and thought about the history of the B-17 and those that fought in them. I read a lot about the missions and what those folks went through. It is so crowded inside the plane even though it looks big. It was just big wings, fuel tanks, powerful engines and a large place for the bombs.

I could not imagine what they went through at those high altitudes, extremely cold, being shot at and flak all around. The noise must have been intense.

It was just an honor and I was so humbled by the whole experience.

Forgot the bomb bay view:

DSC00053.JPG

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - What an experience for you! That is one beautiful aircraft, I do love the bare metal, but what a bear to keep polished! Oh, and I do like your C172 also!

Thanks so much for sharing the pics with us David! Some, most of us will never have an opportunity like that, so it does give us a chance to see from someone else's camera! I also like to view all the videos out there on YouTube! Never get tired of them, always something you missed the first go around!

Rick :cool:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the comments. The polishing is done in early spring by an army of volunteers prior to them starting to fly the aircraft for rides and airshows. I guess it's quite an undertaking. The earlier the volunteer gets there the less likely they have to do the underside of that baby! I guess it takes a toll on the back, shoulder and knees :eek:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived