I don't know who to ask for help in learning flight simulator x operational functions

KrayCott AirCo

I am currently learning Cessna 172 with Garmin 1000 on FSX, and I can't seem to figure out how to make the G1000 autopilot work. I simply cannot find the autopilot on switch. I need help figuring this out.

On the same theme, is there any place in forum where unfamiliar users can ask questions that well-trained users have the answers to, without feeling like ignorant fools ? I am certain to have a lot of operational and functional questions, and all help is definitely appreciated.

Thank You.

I am currently learning Cessna 172 with Garmin 1000 on FSX, and I can't seem to figure out how to make the G1000 autopilot work. I simply cannot find the autopilot on switch. I need help figuring this out.

On the same theme, is there any place in forum where unfamiliar users can ask questions that well-trained users have the answers to, without feeling like ignorant fools? I am certain to have a lot of operational and functional questions, and all help is definitely appreciated.

Thank You.

Yes, FSX contains a Learning Center which teaches all this and much, much more.

…..On the same theme, is there any place in forum where unfamiliar users can ask questions that well-trained users have the answers to, without feeling like ignorant fools ? I am certain to have a lot of operational and functional questions, and all help is definitely appreciated.

Thank You.

You have already 'found' it...….

If FSX is your sim of choice then asking your questions in this forum is a good place to start.

Remember this - you are not a 'ignorant fool'. Most of people that will give you help and advice via these forums were in your very same shoes when they started out.....they will have built up the knowledge that they have by reading through threads and asking questions in this and other such forums.

A good source of info that you will find useful is contained in the Tutorial web page - hover your mousse cursor on the Articles button and select the Tutorials link - loads of useful info there about various aspects of flying, etc

Regards

Brian

I second Mallcott's reference to using the Learning Center as your starting point. You can access the Learning Center from the menus while in-game but you might find it more useful to make a link directly to the LC files and view with your browser (either in-game or out-of-game). The start-up file for the learning center is at 'your-fsx-install-folder/uires/lc01.htm'. If you make a shortcut to this file you can use/view it independently of FSX.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thank you, each and every one who replied.

Specifically looking on the Garmin 1000 (I think that is the large Primary Flight Display Visual on the cockpit left side directly in front of the pilot. not the smaller altitude and autopilot in the center). I can't enter a photo here because I don't know how to. But I can't find an autoppilot on-switch for when I am ready to fly, or after I am in the air

Thank you, each and every one who replied.

Specifically looking on the Garmin 1000 (I think that is the large Primary Flight Display Visual on the cockpit left side directly in front of the pilot. not the smaller altitude and autopilot in the center). I can't enter a photo here because I don't know how to. But I can't find an autoppilot on-switch for when I am ready to fly, or after I am in the air

I have circled the icon for adding pictures/screenshots. I recommend .JPEG images under 485KB is size.

screenshot.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My FSX C172 G1000 PFD (specifically) has no buttons or switches between the heading and altitude knobs. That is most of my question's problem. On the PFD left side there are no switches between heading and altitude knobs. If there were, I would not be in the (embarrassing) position of having to ask for help and guidance..

I do appreciate your efforts in trying to set me straight.

My FSX C172 G1000 PFD (specifically) has no buttons or switches between the heading and altitude knobs. That is most of my question's problem. On the PFD left side there are no switches between heading and altitude knobs. If there were, I would not be in the (embarrassing) position of having to ask for help and guidance..

I do appreciate your efforts in trying to set me straight.

OK, so post a pic of what you see;)

I am assuming that the C172 you are using is the default FSX aircraft..

Look at the picture in post #3 - this is the AP function you need to use.

In the 2D panel view you can bring up the panel by pressing Shift+2 or by using the menu system - View > Instrument Panel > Radio.

In the VC mode the AP panel is located just above the Engine Mixture knob (big red thing) which in turn is located between the two yokes.....OR.....you can use the same method described for the 2D panel to display as a separate item....

Note that the use of the label Radio is misleading and, if you wish, I or someone else can give you simply instructions on how to rename the label.....

Regards

Brian

Where is my Menu bar? BTW, I'd never realized there was one until I saw Mr. Zippy picture above. I place a red rectangle in the attached picture where the menu is missing.

Cheers

What do you have checked off at the bottom of your page? Should be flightsim.

flightsim.JPG

I have not yet learned how to post a picture of what I do see. but where i see is on the G1000, on the hard vertical control panel just left of the PFD. My panel has no controls between the heading and altimeter knobs

I am looking for the G1000 AutoPilot On/Off switch - if there is one on my model.

I do not know what the term VC means. Please clarify.

Also, at the risk of butting into another conversation, I have learned -I don't recall who or what taught me, - on my windows 7 FSX setup, I can get an FSX menu up at upper left corner by pressing the ALT

key on my keyboard.

I appreciate all of the help I am getting here. It makes FSX 'flights' educational, challenging, and altogether enjoyable.

Thank you who respond.

I do not know what the term VC means. Please clarify.

It stands for Virtual Cockpit. Also known as the 3D cockpit. It's the cockpit view that FSX normally opens with, if the settings are all default, when you first load the plane into the world.

If in doubt, you can hit F9. That will change to the VC if it's NOT the current view. The other choice is the 2D cockpit view. If you hit F10, it calls up the 2D view, F9 for the VC.

You can tell the difference fairly easily. Try moving your view around, usually done with the "Hat" switch on a joystick. The switch that looks like a Chinese Coolie's hat, the conical one, that moves in 4 directions. Actually, it moves in a complete circle, really. Usually, using the hat switch in the 2D view causes the view to jump to a new direction, rather than moving smoothly.

Also, at the risk of butting into another conversation, I have learned -I don't recall who or what taught me, - on my windows 7 FSX setup, I can get an FSX menu up at upper left corner by pressing the ALT

key on my keyboard.

If you mean while sitting in the plane on the runway, for example, that is 100% correct. That's the default key assigned to call up the menu. It will be present if you switch to Windowed mode. It sounds like you normally fly in Full screen mode. Nothing wrong with either way, just commenting.

Does that help any?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thank You. Using Default (came with FSX program) C172 w/ Garmin G1000. Had lots of help trying to figure things out here. Very grateful for help. Still trying to find Autopilot on/off (?) switch. Looked at control panel left of PFD between heading and altitude knobs. Empty. (no controls between heading knob and altitude knobs).

Thank you to each responder. Thanks to forum helpers, on my FSX C172 G1000 PFD, I have learned that after bringing up menu (by pressing ALT key), bringing down 'views' to 'instrument panel', then pressing 'radio', I can get an autopilot switch box appearing in my upper right corner in front of and covering the registration plate. Each helper makes my 'flights' more educational, challenging, and enjoyable.

Thank You to each and all forum contributers.

Thank You. Using Default (came with FSX program) C172 w/ Garmin G1000. Had lots of help trying to figure things out here. Very grateful for help. Still trying to find Autopilot on/off (?) switch. Looked at control panel left of PFD between heading and altitude knobs. Empty. (no controls between heading knob and altitude knobs).

Assuming you are good to go, then? Now you need to practice adding pictures/screenshots to your posts. This is, sometimes, a vital step in helping you fix problems.;)

was it like this G1000?

5029-cessna-172sp-yellow-balckzip-40-thumbnail.jpg

Different Aircraft, but exact same G1000, with same left control panel, that is, no switches/buttons/knobs between heading and altitude.knobs.

I learned -with forum contributors' help- how to pull up menu and autopilot. I think a few posts back I wrote down what I learned.

Then I went fsx C172 G1000 for a fun flight from Cessna field (KCEA) (Wichita) Kansas to Dodge City (KDDC). I chose KCEA as starting point because the airplane's life cycle begins there. Did a little experimenting along the way. Even racked up 2.7 instrument hours (in heavy cloud cover) on a 3.1 hour flight. (No, my flight was not direct, I zigzagged quite a few times, and went long distances off of my direct heading). Was even able to blind approach KDDC using ILS ending with a halfway decent landing on the runway, with no incidents to speak of. I like the G1000. All I have to do is get accustomed to it.

Archived