Various FSX Issues

tjs_1445

Good evening,

I have just had my PC upgraded at some comsiderable cost to be able to run FSX smoothly. However there are many issues. I have constant sound issues (crackling and buzzing) that are associated with FPS. The sound issues lower the fps whoch makes the sim totally unflyable. These issues begin from the moment I open the sim to the moment I close it. Also, in the VC of every aircraft I am struggling with my FPS. Its really low. Im unsure why and there is no PC issue as its prefectly capable of running the sim.

PC specs:

Dell Vostro 430

Intel i5 650 - 3.20 Ghz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10

Also, I had a more powerdul power supply and new cooling system fitted.

When I got the PC back from repair yesterday, the sound issue was the only issue, not the low FPS in the VC. I am able to Run Xplane 10 wirh no issues at all.

I hope someone can help as I would love to be able to run FSX again without any hiccups. Apologies in advance as im a little unsure when it comes to PC hardware.

Kind Regards,

Toby Smith

I have just had my PC upgraded at some comsiderable cost to be able to run FSX smoothly. ...

Intel i5 650 - 3.20 Ghz

You realize you are running on a 2011-era processor, right?

As well, are you running FSX SP2 or Acceleration?

Cheers!

Luke

Toby - I have a Dell desktop computer with an i5 processor, 3.2 ghz, and it runs FSX just fine. I will qualify that statement. I consider myself borderline of possibly pushing this computer too far! I have stayed away from installing SP1 and SP2, also I have the FSX acceleration disk which I have also refrained from installing, as this most certainly might push my computer "over the edge!"

One thing you might have tried, but if you haven't, in the Sticky threads for FSX you will find a sticky on Software and Hardware Tweeking. I have never had to use it, but I often hear others recommending it to those who are having problems!

Give that a try and see if it might help. You say it runs X Plane 10 without issues and that is encouraging, meaning it might be something simple as minor settings in FSX. Hang in there and don't give up, just yet! Just understand, your computer could have been a improved a bit more than what you have right now. Mine runs fine. I have had some aircraft downloads that absolutely refused to work for me. Not many thank goodness, but a few! I think, scenery add-ons will be where you will find more problems? Can't say for sure, as I haven't downloaded any to this computer. Freeware aircraft, I have had very good luck in doing so!

Good luck and happy flying! Rick:cool:

Okay, next, go to the forum on this site, PC HARDWARE VIDEO AUDIO, and start reading some of the threads in that forum. Kirk, a new member on this site, recently had a problem with his sound, maybe read what he did to correct his issues. Sorry, I can't be of more help, but eventually you will get help from others who may have experienced this, or you will stumble upon what is causing this issue. Good luck Toby, hang in there!

Rick

Here is one such article

Aug 2012

Default Fsx (Crackling and popping sound) W7 **Possible Fix**

I might have found the fix to the crackling and popping sound i have been having problems with lately. If anyone else has the problem the might know what im talking about

1. First go to your control panel

2. Then go to hardware and sound

3. Then go to where it says (Sound) manage audio devices

4. Then scroll over the speaker and make sure its highlighted

5. Then click on properties

6. Then go Enhancements and make sure all enhancements are disabled

7. Then go to advance and Then click on the (24bit, 96000hz) thing

8. I have windows 7 64 bit so you might have to mess around with the advanced settings to pick the right one

9. I had it on (24bit, 192000hz) and when i changed it to a lower hertz # it seemed to fix the problem

Here is the link to my video if it dosent load on the post

Hope it helps you...it helped me after trying to find any kinda form to try and fix it..and questions inbox me and I will try to help you soon as possible

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Blog this Post Report Post

Jul 2008

Tennessee.

Nick, I've had this crackling sound issue with loss of frame rates over heavy scenery and weather for quite some time. Don't know if that is your experience as well or it's just sound. Anyway, my fix was in biting the bullet and purchasing a GTX570 card. The bottleneck apparently was my old GTX 285.

Use the free DPC Latency Checker V1.3.0 while running FSX and see what you get. I was up in the red at about 4000us with the GTX 285 card and dropped in the green under 500us with the new card. No more FPS drops no crackling either and a smooth flight experience.

Regards,

FRED B

Intel i7 4770K 3.5Ghz 8MB Quad, Haswell OC to 4.2G, ASUS Z-87 PRO, 8G RAM DDR3 2400, GTX780, 2x120GB SSD, 750W PSU, Corsair Hydro H80, WIN 7 Pro, FSX SP1,2, FSC 8 ,UTX, GEX-EUROPE, REX- Ess

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Blog this Post Report Post

Aug 2012

yeah I Had my config edited with (http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html). And I had a problem with the sound and the scenery. I turned down my sound frequency because if you have it to high i think it takes more resources from your computer. Like every now and then I will have a crack or a pop. But with my new config and turning down the sound hertz i noticed a big change. Let me know if it helps any If not ill look into to it more. And possibly your sound card needs updating but i would mess around with your sound hertz...let me know how it worls

%%%%% Sorry I had to do it this way, but copying links within this site do not work well. It does appear others have had this same problem! %%%%%

The venetubo site is long dead, good, cause it didn't work anyway.

What downwind said earlier about SP2 is not correct. Installing SP2 (and SP1 of course) will actually make fsx run better and with lower load on the pc.

(it should however be installed on a clean fsx install, not on one with addons installed.)

the sound issue could be because of: sound driver/sound settings/damaged audio cable to speaker. And the sound issue is probably causing the low fps, not the other way around.

PS: Downwind, you may have a 3.2 ghz cpu as well. But is yours 16 year old? His is. He has an i5 650. But I thought your i5 has at least 4 digits in its name. (and is a lot more recent.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The venetubo site is long dead, good, cause it didn't work anyway.

What downwind said earlier about SP2 is not correct. Installing SP2 (and SP1 of course) will actually make fsx run better and with lower load on the pc.

(it should however be installed on a clean fsx install, not on one with addons installed.)

the sound issue could be because of: sound driver/sound settings/damaged audio cable to speaker. And the sound issue is probably causing the low fps, not the other way around.

PS: Downwind, you may have a 3.2 ghz cpu as well. But is yours 16 year old? His is. He has an i5 650. But I thought your i5 has at least 4 digits in its name. (and is a lot more recent.)

Okay, il, you seem to know what my comments inferred. I know that I am border line on what my PC can handle. I bought the new dell computer in 2012, I bought FSX Gold online via EBAY, with the hopes that my PC could handle it. With all that I had read, at the time, I was doing very well, with the Deluxe portion (2 disks) of the Gold set. I stayed clear of the Acceleration disk, not wanting to take my system over the edge. I never inferred that Toby should stay away from loading SP1, SP2 or the Acceleration disk! I will tell you this, Paul Craig encouraged me to download SP1 because it will afford me better results in my flight simming experience. I downloaded SP1 and soon realized it was a big mistake. Most of the add-on aircraft that I had which had LED (red lit instruments) instrumentation, became totally distorted! I soon realized, this was not going to be a pleasant thing for me to look at, and, I immediately uninstalled it. Go back and read my post! I told the OP that my i5 processor PC runs FSX just fine. I then went on to qualify that statement by saying that I DID NOT install SP1, SP2 or the Acceleration disk, for fear of losing a well running FSX program!

Rather than being a critic of what other members provide in being part of a flight sim community forum, try reading the forum threads a little closer. Before jumping to conclusions, make sure you have accurately ascertained what has been said!! Now with that being said, why don't you see what you can do to help the OP!

Downwind,

You said accel, or SP2 would push your system over the edge. That is not true, having SP2 or Accel installed would make fsx run better.

I posted that as advice to both the OP. And also to you.

I'm not telling you to make any changes.

Just letting the OP know that having SP2 would help with fsx performance. And having it installed will give him better fps.

Also, letting him know that the sound issue is causing his low fps, not the other way around.

And Downwind, if you don't want to install SP2, fine by me. To each his own.

For you it may be difficult to install, as you have addons installed already.

But you said having SP2 would make fsx be harder on your PC, and it's not the first time you said that. Your info there is incorrect, and I thought you'd want to know.

As for the OP, he may not have addons installed. Not sure. So for him the info could well be very useful.

About the venetubo site. The link is part of a post you re-quoted. Thought it would be good to know that "fix" is not recommended. (And that the site is dead). Saves him from a long search.

For me, answers are about helping the OP of a thread with the question he asks. With correct info.

It's not my goal to criticize. Not my goal at all. I do correct info from others sometimes. That can't be avoided.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before I got my present system, I had an i3, also running at 3.2 GHz, with 16 GB of RAM and a nVidia GT 620 video card, and that system ran FSX with Acceleration just fine. So neither SP2 or Acceleration will put an i5 at 3.2 GHZ over any edge.

FYI, SP1, SP2 and Acceleration (which includes SP1 and SP2) contains bugs fixes and improvements galore, plus that Acceleration has a couple of new "features" such as the F/A-18.

I would highly recommend that you install Acceleration - and you can actually uninstall it if it doesn't improve your system.

To both you and the OP: make sure that your version of Windows is updated to the latest level - there is no excuse for not doing that. The updates contain bug fixes galore. I am assuming - assuming away - that the OP has looked around for audio driver updates..... and if the OP is running his audio off the video card, then it's doubly important that the video card drivers are up to date.

To repeat, update the drivers... it's free anyway and just takes a few minutes.

And to the OP: if you still have the issue after the driver and Windows updates, then try posting your FSX.CFG file here, and we'll (well, at least I will) take a look at it and if we can do anything with it.

Jorgen

First and foremost, do you have FSX installed to the programs folder? If so you're gonna have to uninstall the whole lot. Reason being is that the programs foilder is a protected space in Windows and it will cause issues. Not saying this is the source of your current issue, it may, but in the long run it would be better to install FSX to the root drive C.

What that means is you know how you click on your hard disk under the My Computer icon (Not sure if Win 10 has that) and you can see all the folders and what have you on the main C drive? That is the direct location you should install FSX to. So your path will look like this: C:\FSX Use that path in the installation launcher of FSX. Not the default programs folder like FSX wants.

Windows 10 or a driver is more than likely your issue. I would ask anyone here that currently uses 10 to tell the OP how to use FSX in a Win 10 environment. I know there are some tricks and what have you that need to be deployed.

Another thing that could be an issue is Nvidia's sound options. Though I'm not sure. This is one of those things were it be better if I sat in front of the computer and messed around with it myself. But I can tell you one thing. I'd dump Win 10 and promptly install Win 7. HAHAHA Well, that's just me anyway. :D

I think that was a loud and clear prompt for me to put in my whatever cents (again), since I run FSX under Win 10 (as CRJ knows).

CRJ is absolutely right in that especially under Windows 10, one should not - repeat, absolutely not - install FSX to the default location at C:\Program Files (x86), as this will sooner or later cause issues because of the folder's protected status. Installing to C:\FSX or something like that is the way to go, as dumping Win 10 and installing Win 7 is probably not an option.

However, as CRJ also says, this may not be the root cause of the OP's issues with the sound.

Here's what needs to be done, in my very own opinionated copyrighted© opinion™:

First of all, update Windows 10 to the very latest level - if there is an issue with the OS, all bets are off and all help useless.

After that, update the sound device's drivers. If the sound is running off the graphics card, update the nVidia drivers. If the sound is running off a separate sound card, then update the drivers for that. If the sound is running off the motherboard, then get something like Driver Booster 6 and update the drivers with that (I am mentioning Driver Booster 6 because I have that and it works just fine).

All of this has to be in order before you even start thinking about the sound card settings.

Although I have a nVidia GTX 960 graphics card with sound option through the HDMI connection, I run my sound off my Asus Z170-A motherboard, and it works fine.

Comments to all the above are welcome....

Jorgen

Hi Toby,

As pointed out by Jorgen and others try updating the sound card driver...…...

Also, seeing as this is Win 10, download the DirectX Redist pack from HERE - this pack contains files relating to DirectX (DX) versions 9, 10 and 11. Download and SAVE the file to a temp location (DO NOT run it directly from download menu). Then right click on the file and select Run as Administrator. The installer will check what versions you have installed and then update any new/missing/corrupted/invalid files. Once installed reboot the PC using the RESTART option before testing FSX.

DX works in conjunction with sound/video drivers - FSX needs version 9C but the version that ships with disks is way out of date and are incompatible with Win 10. Likewise, a vanilla Win 10 install does not ship with DX 9 installation files and only comes with 10, 11 and 12 depending on the Win 10 source files build state. Note that you can have multiple versions of DX installed and each app will independently use the most compatible version.

Regards

Brian

Hi again,

Managed to fix the low FPS problem and discocered that its not linked to sound. The crackling and popping audio is caused by the GPU. When I uninstalled the Driver the sound worked just fine. So its either a GPU issue or a driver issue. Im still looking into it. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks, Toby

Archived