just another getting back to sims post..

Kent_T

I first got in to flight sims with FS2000 back when it was still shiny and new, then FS2002, pretty much was obsessed with it back then. Then dropped away from it to do other hobbies over the years. I tried getting back into it a few years back, bought FSX a Saitech yoke and CH peddles. But never got in to it like I did with the older versions, FSX has great graphics, but something about the software I just could not get a feel for, so that didn't last long. So here I am again wanting to get going again. I sold the peddles a year or so ago needing money and I never got the feel for them, and with bad knees peddles just made it harder and painful for me. I've lost interest in other hobbies for various reasons, ham radio, vintage (Atari) video games, etc..

My current desk is too shallow to use the yoke, so I can try to figure out where my old Logitech Wingman Force is, or buy a basic Thrustmaster USB joystick on Amazon for $25 (not one local store stock PC joysticks..). Can't afford to go more then that being on a disability income for 6 years now.

going though some video on youtube I seen some videos on Xplane 11, i've never used anything other then FS, so no idea how i'd like it or how it's run on my computer. I'm only really interested in light planes, Cessna, etc. in the past only occasionally loading a commercial jet to fly. So I figure that's what I'd go back to. I took a couple real intro lesson back around 2002 in a Cessna 152 and Diamond DA20. I don't see going in to super realistic flights, just causal airport hopping, I used to love setting up crazy bad weather and landing in it..

So here my PC specs..

AMD Athlon 2, 3GHz dual core

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

My backup computer:

Pentium-D 2.8GHz

Geforce card that I forget the version of.. probably around4 years or so old.

4GB RAm

Windows 7 32bit.

So the point of this rambling post is comments about the cheap Thrustmaster stick, Xplane on an older PC. or anything else that might help me get going again and stay with it...?

--

It looks like your system has just about the minimum requirements for xplane 11. And only very slightly over the very minimum requirements for xplane 10.

If it does indeed run you'll probably get very low frame rates only.

Xplane recommends people with a weak system to try the demo first.

https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/system-requirements/

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-system-requirements/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My backup PC is boxed up right now, but my main machine handled the 11 demo pretty good, just a bit of lag as it first loads then fine after that on the default settings, keep in mind my video card is a lot newer then the PC itself from an attempt to mine one of those flakey cyrpto money coins, it has 4GB or video RAM :)

although wasn't easy to fly with a mouse, still figuring out what to done joystick wise. it did look nice

--

, still figuring out what to do joystick wise.

Try to check out the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. :cool:

The price won't cause nightmares and it needs a very small amount of acreage on your desk (the base is 8 inches square).

For all of that, you get the basic stick, 12 buttons, an 8-way hat switch, a built in rudder and a throttle.

Try to check out the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. :cool:

The price won't cause nightmares and it needs a very small amount of acreage on your desk (the base is 8 inches square).

For all of that, you get the basic stick, 12 buttons, an 8-way hat switch, a built in rudder and a throttle.

It looks nice, I'm a bit leery of Logitech stuff after all the items they just abandon making drivers for after a couple years. I see on Amazon.ca the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X Flight Stick is a bit cheaper with pretty much the same features and a lost more then their very basic joystick. IF my PC had an old game port I could dig out my Gravis 2 button stick :) I have a rough idea where my old Wingman Force is, but the base is so huge on it I won't have room for anything else, and the drivers for it have always been flaky on Windows & and higher, centering drops out and your left with a free floating stick with zero resistance..

--

It looks nice, I'm a bit leery of Logitech stuff after all the items they just abandon making drivers for after a couple years. I see on Amazon.ca the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X Flight Stick is a bit cheaper with pretty much the same features and a lost more then their very basic joystick. IF my PC had an old game port I could dig out my Gravis 2 button stick :) I have a rough idea where my old Wingman Force is, but the base is so huge on it I won't have room for anything else, and the drivers for it have always been flaky on Windows & and higher, centering drops out and your left with a free floating stick with zero resistance..

I have use 2 Logitech joysticks so far and both have been reliable. The USB cable on my old Attack3 finally broke some wires on the inside and I splurged on the Extreme 3D Pro. The only software for these sticks was Logitech Profiler.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

+1 Mr Zippy and Bob - I've used a Logitech 3D Pro for 12 years with no problems and no drivers required from Vista onwards - it's a genuine "plug and play" device.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived