Computer problems today!

Downwind66

okay, had some computer problems today, went to use Acronis Imaging software, it didn't work as well as i had hoped.

Anyway, my original FSX was installed to C:\Programs Files (x86), and I had to unstall FSX anyway, so new install was to C:\FSX.

Now, I go to change something in the aircraft.cfg folder and FSX asks me what kind of changes these are and i typed config changes, now everything relating to config files is showing Adobe Reader, with file tyhpe config changes???

It's a mess, I thought with a straight install it would be a snap! NOT! And also, never did see a prompt of how I uninstall the FSX that was in Program Files (x86) ? I am thinking now I should have answered notepad for the changes? It's been a long day and I'm not thinking straight!

Rick

################# NEVER MIND, I FOUND MY ANSWER ON GOOGLE!##########

Stay tuned for the next chapter!

In the future, whenever any prompt comes up that you do not understand, take a screen grab of it before you answer it.

I say that because, all due respect, after reading your posts I am not sure what you did.

I know of no set of circumstances where FSX would ask you "what kind of changes...".

Now, I go to change something in the aircraft.cfg folder and FSX asks me what kind of changes these are and i typed config changes, now everything relating to config files is showing Adobe Reader, with file type config changes???

I also do not know what "the aircraft.cfg folder" is, I suspect you mean file when you say folder.

Is this a file type association problem? Does Adobe Reader try to open when you double-click on an aircraft.cfg?

If so, right-click on an aircraft.cfg and select "Open with...". Then choose "Choose default program...".

Either select Notepad, or if not given as a choice, navigate to the Notepad.exe (C:\Windows\Notepad.exe). Make sure there is a check in the "Always open with..." box.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Bean - It was a prompt, why I got it, i have no clue. it was in relation to file association and what program you want to make changes. I read it wrong, shame on me! it is fixed. i should have answered notepad.

What is the best way to remove this old FSX it is buried within the walls of Program files (x86) ?

It does not appear on the add/remove programs list, but it is still installed. Can I safely just right click the program for a delete or is there a better way?

Rick :rolleyes:

################# NEVER MIND, I FOUND MY ANSWER ON GOOGLE!##########

It sounds like its from a space movie. But, google is my friend.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

What is the best way to remove this old FSX it is buried within the walls of Program files (x86) ?

It does not appear on the add/remove programs list, but it is still installed. Can I safely just right click the program for a delete or is there a better way?

You should start with the add/remove programs list and uninstall in the reverse order of install.

So if you have Acceleration, you have to uninstall it first before you will see the core FSX in add/remove programs. Same thing with the Service Pacs.

There will be files left over that the installer will not remove, addons for an example. Are you sure the entire program is there after uninstall or just bits and pieces?

This is the definitive article on uninstalling FSX- https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Read it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

okay, had some computer problems today, went to use Acronis Imaging software, it didn't work as well as i had hoped.

Anyway, my original FSX was installed to C:\Programs Files (x86), and I had to unstall FSX anyway, so new install was to C:\FSX.

Now, I go to change something in the aircraft.cfg folder and FSX asks me what kind of changes these are and i typed config changes, now everything relating to config files is showing Adobe Reader, with file tyhpe config changes???

Delete Adobe Reader. It sublimates the .air file and assumes a role in reading .cfg files which is completely unnecessary. Its only real use is to read pdf files, and your web browser already does that.

Archived