Changing my fsx.cfg file?

Mac6737

Sorry, but I have another .cfg-related question.

The REX SkyForce 3D manual emphasizes that you can't truly enjoy its hi-res graphics, unless you go to your fsx.cfg file's GRAPHICS section and edit the line to read TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. Well, my value was set at only =1024, so yesterday I did what they recommended. (I saved the change anyway, despite the warning that I might "lose formatting," but I saved a backup.) I had a few crashes that I suspected might be the result, so I changed it again to 2048, and the sim behaved properly. I closed it.

This morning, that cfg file was back to the 1024 value, and I had not touched it. What's going on here?

I've learned from other threads on this forum that Windows 10 is weird about letting you change cfg files. And I've learned that taking them out of fsx altogether and editing on my desktop, does not help (separate subject). For instance, I tried that with a panel.cfg file to make the GPS window stay on top (add the line "type=special", which always used to work with Windows 7), but the result was that FSX simply failed to recognized the airplane -- it disappeared altogether from the choices.

So, how about if, instead of trying to make the changes in Word (the current FSX default for a cfg file, I "open with . . . Notepad"? Is that a good idea? Or would I then be totally messed up?

Thanks,

Mac6737

Core i7-8700

Windows 10

FSX Accel

Invidia GTX 1070 8GB graphics card

Aorus Z370 gaming motherboard

msi 27" monitor (2560 X 1440)

All .cfg changes should be done in notepad. Some say they use Notepad+ but Notepad will do the trick. Now if you do make changes in the FSX.cfg and then go into FSX/Settings and move any of the Graphics sliders, that will affect FSX.cfg.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Wow! As it happens, I DID change a couple of sliders. So that may explain the fsx.cfg reversion to 1024.

BTW, I did not see a great deal of diff when I changed that value, but maybe FSX graphics are like fine wines -- it takes a connoisseur to appreciate the difference between white and red.

Thanks again, guys. (You are guys, right?)

I'll vouch for myself.....I don't shave my legs and wear a dress, if that's what you mean. ;)

Not valid definitions, there, Zippy!

I'm from your AO, and you know as well as I that there are a lot of guys that shave their legs, and wear dresses around there. BTW, is Polk St. still the center of such activities? Just curious. I'll never be back there...

I know a number of women who don't (shudder) shave their legs, or wear dresses, although often the shorts they wear, I really WISH they'd shave their legs.

You need to select different defining characteristics, man!

Pat☺

On the original subject, there's a trick you can use to keep FSX from altering your file. Well, it won't prevent it, but you can easily get it back. As soon as you get the changes you want made, save the altered file off with an easy to recognize name. Then, if you change any sliders, and you KNOW the sim altered the settings you put in, just go in and make YOUR copy of the .cfg file the one the sim uses. IE, delete the existent FSX.CFG, and copy YOUR version as FSX.CFG. That way, you can play with sliders all you like, but the changes you made are still there. Or, learn what the slider actually alters in the .cfg file, and there's an entry for every slider in the sim, and go change them in the .cfg file manually. It won't alter the new .cfg file with the changes you've made to it.

Just a couple thoughts, I get so very few, any more.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well, even though I am a guy (at least, my wife tells me I am) I am actually entitled to wear a skirt - or rather, a Kilt, since by marriage I am a member of the Gray Family of the Sutherland Clan.

But in this case, no one would doubt that I am a man, since the Kilt carries with it a Claymore (the Scottish saber version, not the American explosive one).

Jorgen

But, in a desperate attempt to keep this thread on its wobbly tracks, after I edit the FSX.CFG and am happy with the changes, I print it out, so if I make changes or use the sliders in the future, I can easily get it back to what it was before.

I also try to add comments after the changes I have made, but have found that in many cases these comments do not stay for some reason.

Jorgen

I believe the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= entry is the texture size, and if your GPU can't handle HD textures, I wouldn't bother. Plus, you're putting more strain on the Comp. I just use 1024 and no HD clouds or airport buildings for example. They look perfectly fine to my eyes and it saves on processing power. Go overboard and you're asking for trouble. As was the case when you used 4096.

There should be no issue with a nVidia GTXX 1070 with 8 GB and TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096, my GTX 960 with 4 GB can handle that.

Maybe you should post the FSX.CFG file here.

Jorgen

Depends on what else has been changed, that we haven't been told about...

Good idea to ask for the contents of FSX .cfg.

I always ask for it, because there are often errors introduced unwittingly.

Resetting the FSX.cfg after changes...

The Only thing I have 'upped' that I need to reset is the LOD radius; I normally run with 7.5 but, as noted, any setting change will pull that back to 4.5.

I use the SAVE/LOAD setting feature.

After I've made changes that will reset my LOD, I go into settings graphics or scenery (i forget which)

1. Save my current settings to a standard "current.cfg"

2. open and edit the LOD_RADIUS with notepad back to 7.5 (and/or any other setting that was reset)

3. Load the edited current.cfg back into FSX - no restart required.

(total time 30-45 sec; I have a shortcut to the cfg file on my desktop - yes, I use it a lot)

Continue to fly

This saved config file ONLY contains 39 parameters - it isn't the whole config file; you should be able to easily change any of these back to your non-standard settings if you want.

Mine looks like this

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[DISPLAY]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25

[PANELS]

QUICKTIPS=0

PANEL_OPACITY=100

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=7.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=23

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=0

[WEATHER]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=8

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=0

GADensity=0

FreewayDensity=15

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=77

LeisureBoatsDensity=0

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

[MULTIPLAYER]

WeatherString="User-defined weather"

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

A quick glance doesn't yield any issues.

I actually set my TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 400 and I'm using a GTX 1050TI.

My LOD_RADIUS is 4.5.

MESH_COMPLEXITY is 80.

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=24

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3

Add this:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

After ground_shadows I have these:

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1