Looking for a regional jet ( short to medium flights) for fsx

stubby2

I've been researching the above for a few days. I have narrowed my choices down to a few candidates. I like the Majestic Q400 and the Aerosoft CRJ 700 and possibly the Ifly 737 NG. I was concerned that the PMDG 737 NG would be a frame rate killer. I am not looking at airbus since I am not a fan of fly by wire.

I am leaning toward a jet (as opposed to the Q400 turbo prop) however this plane seems to be highly regarded. One concern about the Aerosoft CRJ is that I hear when released it was very buggy and may still be after an initial patch.

I have looked at the manuals for some basic data and read reviews. I would appreciate any thoughts folks on this forum might have.

I have and enjoy the Q400. It is a big challenge, but totally worth it.

My favorite regional jet is the Quality Wings BAe 146/Avro RJ package. Amazing work they did on this, and you get a lot for the money.

I don't have the CRJ. I do have the Feelthere ERJ-135/145 package and really like it. The VC isn't very good, however. The 2D panel is excellent, though, and works for me. Fun little jet to fly for sure.

The TFDi 717 is top-shelf, but pretty demanding on the computer. It is a gorgeous plane, and a blast to fly.

I don't have the iFly 737, but the PMDG 737 runs very smoothly on my I5 based system. It ran smoothly on my previous, very modest system too.

I was concerned that the PMDG 737 NG would be a frame rate killer. .

Their planes can be, although you can improve things greatly by turning off HD cockpit textures. Their cockpits still look great even without them.

Even on my old I5 that isn't very good for FSX, I only drop to 15fps or so with the 747v3 when I'm over something really dense like LAX. That's with Activesky, Navigraph, and Air Hauler running and communicating with the sim, too, and I have the scenery sliders up pretty high and am running Orbx Vector which can be a framerate vampire.

In short, unless your computer is significantly underpowered, you should have options to make the PMDG stuff work fine for you. I'm very, very impressed with the 747, though I haven't gotten the 737 yet.

I bought this and am happy with it. Great cockpit, easy to fly, easy on frames, passenger cabin view, etc. Nicely done little plane even if they’re being phased out in the real world.

https://www.commerciallevel.com/webshop.php?actie=pshow&pid=103&groep=11

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I have and enjoy the Q400. It is a big challenge, but totally worth it.

My favorite regional jet is the Quality Wings BAe 146/Avro RJ package. Amazing work they did on this, and you get a lot for the money.

I don't have the CRJ. I do have the Feelthere ERJ-135/145 package and really like it. The VC isn't very good, however. The 2D panel is excellent, though, and works for me. Fun little jet to fly for sure.

The TFDi 717 is top-shelf, but pretty demanding on the computer. It is a gorgeous plane, and a blast to fly.

I don't have the iFly 737, but the PMDG 737 runs very smoothly on my I5 based system. It ran smoothly on my previous, very modest system too.

I took a look at the Quality Wings product and it looked like a good product for short money. Maybe not the same depth as PMDG but certainly worthwhile . I looked at the manual and noted that you can fly sids and stars but I saw no indication of Navigraph support. I am assuming the database is updatable.

Their planes can be, although you can improve things greatly by turning off HD cockpit textures. Their cockpits still look great even without them.

Even on my old I5 that isn't very good for FSX, I only drop to 15fps or so with the 747v3 when I'm over something really dense like LAX. That's with Activesky, Navigraph, and Air Hauler running and communicating with the sim, too, and I have the scenery sliders up pretty high and am running Orbx Vector which can be a framerate vampire.

In short, unless your computer is significantly underpowered, you should have options to make the PMDG stuff work fine for you. I'm very, very impressed with the 747, though I haven't gotten the 737 yet.

I went to the PMDG site and my computer does meet the recommended specs. I don't have a lot of other addons other than active sky so maybe I should reconsider. I was wondering if it is possible to do a hot start. Sometimes I feel lazy and don't want to go through all the startup procedures.

I bought this and am happy with it. Great cockpit, easy to fly, easy on frames, passenger cabin view, etc. Nicely done little plane even if they’re being phased out in the real world.

https://www.commerciallevel.com/webshop.php?actie=pshow&pid=103&groep=11

Norris - Very nice choice, indeed! I have both the MD83 and it's longer brother, an MD90! Both are a pleasure to fly!

Stubby2 - Norris has recommended a very nice aircraft. One option for you, and you might have some fun doing it. Go over to the HJG site, they have some nice downloads over there. It is about as close as you can get to a payware download, without any "out of pocket" doing it!

http://simviation.com/hjg/main.htm

I must have about 6 of their aircraft, very high quality, and you piece them together yourself, according to base aircraft download, livery choice, and any extra's such as panels, options etc.

Good luck and let us all know what you finally chose for your regional jet!

Rick :cool:

I give a plus 1 for you to consider the Embraer ERJ135 or perhaps the ERJ145. I regularly "fly" the Wilco Embraer Legacy bizjet which is a variant of the ERJ135 airframe but more modern. The ERJ135 is about 50 passengers with 2/1 and a single isle seating. The bizjet is about 13 passengers (depending on options) but a 20 passenger 1/1 executive transport config. is available.

I took a look at the Quality Wings product and it looked like a good product for short money. Maybe not the same depth as PMDG but certainly worthwhile . I looked at the manual and noted that you can fly sids and stars but I saw no indication of Navigraph support. I am assuming the database is updatable.

Yes, it is compatible with Navigraph data.

For free go to the library here and check out file names: fsx_lear45_upgraded.zip and forgotten_gauges.zip

Also, fly by wire is not exclusive to Airbus. The 737 uses fly by wire as well as many other aircraft. It just means you're not using cables and pulleys to control the aircraft. You were probably thinking that because Airbus in their infinite wisdom has damn near everything automated and takes control of the A/C if it thinks the pilot can't fly it correctly. One reason why I don't care for Airbus.

I went to the PMDG site and my computer does meet the recommended specs. I don't have a lot of other addons other than active sky so maybe I should reconsider. I was wondering if it is possible to do a hot start. Sometimes I feel lazy and don't want to go through all the startup procedures.

Well, the one thing that annoys me about the 747 is that by default it loads with the engines running and everything set up for flight with the exception of the FMS. I'd rather it start powered down, with ground connections hooked up and ready to go, but for your purposes, their default is perfect. ;)

Well, the one thing that annoys me about the 747 is that by default it loads with the engines running and everything set up for flight with the exception of the FMS. I'd rather it start powered down, with ground connections hooked up and ready to go, but for your purposes, their default is perfect. ;)

You can change that default state in the settings menu in the FMC.

They do actually use cables and pulleys as well as hydraulics. Boeing didn't move to FBW until the 777, and now 787 and 747-8. The 737 retains the older system as they didn't think it was worth re-certifying the aircraft with a FBW system.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/B_NG-Flight_Controls.pdf

Even widebodies like the MD11 use pulleys to link the yoke/human interface to the hydraulic system.

You could possibly look at the Feelthere Embraer E190. I dont have it personally but it seems a low demand short haul jet. Very commonly used too so you'll never tire of routes.

The Qualitywings 757 is also very low demand, and Captainsim have released an updated 757 which looks excellent and gives you the option of transatlantic flights on top of short/mid haul.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just wanted you to know that I just purchased the Qualitywings bae 146 package. I won't get into all the details regarding why but it's done. Thanks to everyone for their input. There were 3-4 planes I'm sure I would have been happy to fly.

Archived