GPS/Navigation/Autopilot 737

TKessel

It has been a couple of years since I had FSX. I was hoping to be able to install it from my DVD on my Win 10 pc, but finally gave up and got it with Steam.

I seem to recall in the past when I had an active instrument flight plan, I could use the autopilot to follow the gps headings. I have the gps switch on OK, and autopilot and heading on, but the default 737 never seems to track the heading on the gps. I must be missing something. Any suggestions as to what it may be?

Thanks, Ted

It has been a couple of years since I had FSX. I was hoping to be able to install it from my DVD on my Win 10 pc, but finally gave up and got it with Steam.

I seem to recall in the past when I had an active instrument flight plan, I could use the autopilot to follow the gps headings. I have the gps switch on OK, and autopilot and heading on, but the default 737 never seems to track the heading on the gps. I must be missing something. Any suggestions as to what it may be?

Thanks, Ted

Do you also have the altitude hold on? I don't know if this is correct, but do you start out with the switch in the NAV position and the A/P doing all of the flying?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks, Mr Zippy,

I can use autothrottle OK, after take off to control airspeed. I have the autopilot on and in the Nav position to control altitude and heading. But I when I switch from Nav to GPS, nothing happens for the heading interacting with the GPS flight plan. I remember it did before FSX/Steam. I just think I'm missing a step somewhere that I used to know, but forgot. - Ted

Stupid question, but might have been overlooked. I don't fly the default 737, but is there an AP engage button? If so, that's like master on for most everything except IAS. Is AP on? Is there an AP button? You might have to cycle through 2D and virtual cockpit to see it. Not sure. Like I said, I don't fly that particular aircraft. I only fly the real deal, i.e. PMDG's offering.

Yes, AP is on and holding altitude and heading. When I switch the Nav/GPS toggle nothing happens to the aircraft heading, although the "needle" in the display changes to let me know how far off I am from the GPS course.

Thanks, Ted

Yes, AP is on and holding altitude and heading. When I switch the Nav/GPS toggle nothing happens to the aircraft heading, although the "needle" in the display changes to let me know how far off I am from the GPS course.

Thanks, Ted

Hi Ted, the switches/buttons you need to switch on are:

F/D ON

A/T Arm

NAV/GPS to GPS

SPEED

VOR LOC

ALT HLD

CMD A

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Fsx is steam is not a new version of fs. It's a new edition of fsx.

Like a new edition of a book. Same exact text and title, and author, but now sold by a different company. So no longer by "George Allen and Unwin" but by "Penguin publishing" for example.

Expand your search. Threads about fsx, which have been written since 2005, will explain this as well.

Actually, flying a flightplan in fs works the same way in fs2004.

Or is the issue that it works in all planes but not in this one?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no LNAV switch in the default 737-800, it's labelled as VOR LOC.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived