FSX/Accel vs Win 10, again

Hi all,

Yes, another FSX vs Win 10 problem thread.

-I had a corrupted FSX install, decided to delete and reinstall.

-Deleted FSX IAW these instructions https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

-Rebooted, reinstalled FSX 2 disc Deluxe. Never got a registration screen. Ran for 2 days with no interruptions in one flight.

-Installed FSX Acceleration, rebooted, ran. Also never got a registration sign-in, but it timed out and got the 1-8004005 error.

-Went into Regedit and did the PartMgr fix https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?253089-quot-Product-Activation-Error-1-80004005-quot-What/page2

Still getting timed out and asked to activate product. Tried both the FSX and FSX Acceleration activation codes, no luck.

Thoughts?

TIA

uhm, fsx, (deluxe and accel) also need activating online.

same as steam.

you can then run steam offline.

But, should be possible to get fsx cd edition going.

Just make sure the system is cleaned of fsx.

reboot after uninstall.

you said "I deleted" I hope you meant "uninstalled"...

make sure time and date are set correctly in BIOS. And then shutdown, wait a minute or two, reboot, and check if they are still correct. If not correct, the BIOS battery is empty and needs replacing.

Then also set time and date correctly in Windows.

Installing win7 gives you a clean OS. Similar to properly uninstalling fsx.

Installing Win8 fresh does the same thing.

Installing Win10 fresh, ditto.

You sound a little bit random. Maybe eat a little to get your sugar levels up, before you go at it again. It often helps.:p:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

uhm, fsx, (deluxe and accel) also need activating online.

same as steam.

you can then run steam offline.

Did not know Steam could be ran off-line. I might give that a try

you said "I deleted" I hope you meant "uninstalled"...

Correct. Incorrect phraseology on my part.

make sure time and date are set correctly in BIOS. And then shutdown, wait a minute or two, reboot, and check if they are still correct. If not correct, the BIOS battery is empty and needs replacing.

System just rebuilt with fresh CMOS battery. By "empty" I hope you meant "discharged". :cool:

You sound a little bit random. Maybe eat a little to get your sugar levels up, before you go at it again. It often helps.:p:D

I'll call mom to deliver some pizza and Red Bull to the hangar. I mean, basement. Come on over.

Did not know Steam could be ran off-line. I might give that a try

Steam (and your entire game library) periodically won't work off-line unless you go on-line and enter your pass code, which is why I won't ever get FSX SE. Granted it only takes a second, but still a pain.

As you know, once FSX boxed is activated, it NEVER needs such non-sense (unless re-installed again). So once you install it, NEVER un-install/re-install it.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Steam (and your entire game library) periodically won't work off-line unless you go on-line and enter your pass code, which is why I won't ever get FSX SE. Granted it only takes a second, but still a pain.

Which is why I don't do cloud-based computing. If you don't have internet access, you're dead in the water. And sice I travel a lot I can't always count on internet access.

As you know, once FSX boxed is activated, it NEVER needs such non-sense (unless re-installed again). So once you install it, NEVER un-install/re-install it.

Exactly. Unfortunately, I had to uninstall it due to a hard disk problem.

Steve, by any chance are you running FSX in compatibility mode. Most people forget about this. If you are, MS will not accept the activation.

I recently crashed FSX & re-installed it. Went thru the activation process w/o a hitch. Hope this helps..

And why pay an extra $25 for something you already own. If something goes wrong they can't offer any support..

In your Steam Library menu, you can select the 'verify' feature and Steam will check your installation for any missing or corrupted game files and then repair or replace them.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have never experienced this......and I have over a dozen items in my steam library (although FSX-SE is not one of them) - some I only play irregularly and despite this I have never had to re-enter any codes. In fact, prior to posting this I played a game that I have not played for over a year and did not have to enter any code - due to the game settings had a hefty 1.5 Gb update to install but other than that no probs.

My experience is that, once you have download, installed and activated the product you can, via a number of options, dictate how the product is run and updated:

Steam Client Options: NOTE the Steam Client is required to play Steam products and is set by default to automatically start at boot up and run in the background. You can alter the behaviour of the Client but you can't stop Client related updates as you can for products.

A. Set the Steam Client to auto start in Off-Line mode - When the PC boots you will get a info box stating that the client is set to Off-line mode along with two options - Start On-line or Start Off-Line - select the appropriate option. You get this message/options even if there is a internet connection available. Using this option when you launch a Steam product it will start immediately.

B. Disable the Steam Client from auto-starting - You can set the Client to not automatically start with windows. Using this option when you launch a Steam product you will be prompted to start the Client and log into Steam before the product will start.

Product Options: NOTE not all of these options will work with all products - it is dependent on a number of factors, some set by the developer and some set by the game/product type - e.g a MMO will require you to be online.

A. Set the product itself to run in off-line mode - i.e. you don't need to be connected online via the Steam Client, even if there is an active internet connection.

B. Select various options WRT how and when the product is updated. The default is automatically set for updates to be delivered immediately - i.e. all products will update as and when updates are available. You can set products to:

(i) only update when run - i.e. if you have multiple products, individual products will only update when you attempt to run them (you get a message that the product is being updated and will start once the update is complete). This will only happen if there is an active internet connection and is irrespective of whether you have set the product to run in off-line mode.

(ii) only update when the Steam Client is in on-line mode - All updates will be delivered as per the default setting mentioned above.

(iii) only update when you check for updates via your library page - i.e you do a manual check for updates. You can also pause/cancel any ongoing updates using this method.

Regards

Brian

Steve, by any chance are you running FSX in compatibility mode. Most people forget about this. If you are, MS will not accept the activation.

I recently crashed FSX & re-installed it. Went thru the activation process w/o a hitch. Hope this helps..

And why pay an extra $25 for something you already own. If something goes wrong they can't offer any support..

Yup, thanks for checking, I tried running it without Compatability Mode, no luck, then under Win 8 and Win 7, also with no luck.

Ironicly, I was going to break down and buy FSX Steam this morning and discovered I had purchased it a couple years ago at a discount, guess I'll have to download and install it off my phone hotspot and give that a try.

I have never experienced this......and I have over a dozen items in my steam library (although FSX-SE is not one of them) - some I only play irregularly and despite this I have never had to re-enter any codes.

It's usually Steam wanting to verify your email address or something. Then they give you a code that you must enter to be able to log back in then you can access off-line.

Also seen when a game is updated, they want you to log in the first time.

Then of course there are games like 'Race Room Racing Experience' that are internet only mandating being on-line.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Archived