New Simmer

Dazzy

Hi All

Just purchased FSX Gold disc based edition online for $30 ( its arriving by ebay soon) and I'm keen to update it to the latest version/specs.

Any suggestions on what to download/install etc to make it suitable for a learning resource for flying, going for my student pilots license early next year?

Dazzy

Hi All

Just purchased FSX Gold disc based edition online for $30 (its arriving by ebay soon) and I'm keen to update it to the latest version/specs.

Any suggestions on what to download/install etc to make it suitable for a learning resource for flying, going for my student pilots license early next year?

Dazzy

Very little needed, but it won't be suitable for real world flying training, except in the broadest of senses. The Sim contains its own Learning Center with input from Rod Machado a real flight instructor

Flight 1 and Reality XP offer much better Garmin integration

A2A offers more realistic training aircraft such as the Cessna 172 and the Piper Cherokee 180, but do not offer anything with a Garmin, save for easy interaction with the addon developers mentioned above.

Don't over-invest in addons for flight training purposes, you can find many training schools with simulators that contribute to flying hours, and many have FSX-derived desktop simulators doing what they are good at.

There is no updated version.

Also, the disk set box says it is not to be used for real world flight training.

Real world trainers will tell you teaching someone to fly for real takes more time if they were simming first. It takes a lot more time to unlearn bad habits that the simming teaches. More time than it takes to teach a blank mind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, the disk set box says it is not to be used for real world flight training.

Real world trainers will tell you teaching someone to fly for real takes more time if they were simming first. It takes a lot more time to unlearn bad habits that the simming teaches. More time than it takes to teach a blank mind.

To add to the dialogue, the use to which the P3D-based desktop simulator in our flying club is mostly put at the moment is for continuity practice with the Garmins in club aircraft - you don't want to sit in a flyable aircraft and pay £145 /hr just to sit and press buttons - and for flying in to unfamiliar airfields which have been updated with addons in our stationary sim - unofficial but useful when flying into a new field for the first time when used with the actual chart. This has proved it's worth on qualifying cross-countries.

It is NEVER used to teach anyone anything about real flying - although it was used to provide `flight experience` to visiting schoolkids on a winters day when the airfield was socked-in and we could barely even see the aircraft on the line. We used the sim (with real world weather installed) to show them why the planes were not leaving the ground - sweaty palm moments!

The interesting thing being the cost of all the addons would suffice for several hours of actual flying training for an individual and an instructor! :pilot:

Best to get your flying training in the air, not behind a desk! :D

Many people have successfully used FSX to help with their flight training over the years. However, yes, there can be issues if the aspiring pilot has learned bad habits. The best course of action is to work with an instructor to use the sim where it can really help, like understanding how VOR navigation works, for example, and avoid the pitfalls. There are also books for this purpose too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Pilots-Training/dp/0764588222/ref=nodl_

I agree with Loki.

Our virtual club mentors over 90 kids (Young Falcons) over a 2 year course, & after the 1st year, we have a Wings Parade for the seniors who have completed the course. (Virtual PPL's)

WE also invite private pilots to visit, & we get 15-20 planes, singles, twins, gyro's, a 'copter & once we had an MB326 flying in. The pilots take the kids up for a circuit or two. After take-off, the kids actually have a 'hands on' flight. They get a sponsored gliding flight during the year as well.

So, the comment that they learn bad habits by simming, & training takes longer, bears no proof whatsoever, in the 12 years that we have been mentoring the kids.

Without exception, they have been praised for their flying ability, thats after 2 years, every 2nd Saturday morning, except for school holidays, of lectures & practical lessons & flying on simulators.

Oh, our 16 PC's are about 6 years old, running Windows XP with FS2004. We have, to date, nearly 30 kids that have entered the commercial, private & military flying field. Simming has really helped, & has provided a grounding.

Obviously, you cannot do this just by 'gaming/simming' on your own.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I agree with Loki.

Our virtual club mentors over 90 kids (Young Falcons) over a 2 year course, & after the 1st year, we have a Wings Parade for the seniors who have completed the course. (Virtual PPL's)

WE also invite private pilots to visit, & we get 15-20 planes, singles, twins, gyro's, a 'copter & once we had an MB326 flying in. The pilots take the kids up for a circuit or two. After take-off, the kids actually have a 'hands on' flight. They get a sponsored gliding flight during the year as well.

So, the comment that they learn bad habits by simming, & training takes longer, bears no proof whatsoever, in the 12 years that we have been mentoring the kids.

Without exception, they have been praised for their flying ability, thats after 2 years, every 2nd Saturday morning, except for school holidays, of lectures & practical lessons & flying on simulators.

Oh, our 16 PC's are about 6 years old, running Windows XP with FS2004. We have, to date, nearly 30 kids that have entered the commercial, private & military flying field. Simming has really helped, & has provided a grounding.

Obviously, you cannot do this just by 'gaming/simming' on your own.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

There is proof and examples out there of student pilots having spent time on their own with a sim learning bad habits, usually relying on instruments too much. This doesn't mean that flight sims should be avoided though as they have helped students cut down the time needed in an actual plane. Well organized programs like what you have are good examples of doing it right.

I am not a pilot. never was ...never will be. due to a lot of reasons both physically and other reasons including age...BUT...I am here to tell you that I can testify that I have ridden in commercial jet cockpits, and private plane cockpits and been allowed to fly the plane in the private plane when the pilot handled the throttle and whatever else....and because of my experience with FSX and in those days that was all there was or FS9,,,I was complimented because I knew what the instruments were , their location, and what they meant...I was informed that I needed to "Look out the window" and not just look at the instruments...Ha....so , I am obedient, and "Listen" cuz in my real job years ago, I had to listen in order to catch people in a lie...enough said...so I encourage whoever to use flight sim to assist or help them in aviation..but listen to your Instructor..and as someone said..."Never get too big for your Britches"....and I believe you will be able to fly anything that they make..

There is proof and examples out there of student pilots having spent time on their own with a sim learning bad habits, usually relying on instruments too much. This doesn't mean that flight sims should be avoided though as they have helped students cut down the time needed in an actual plane. Well organized programs like what you have are good examples of doing it right.

I could always tell when a student had been spending too much time on a flight sim, they'd have no feel for the airplane and had their head down on the instruments to fly. On their next lesson (or 2, or 3, or 4....) they'd find the panel covered in paper except for the engine instruments and airspeed.

There were some epic freakouts, but also some good flying done afterwards.

+1

Archived