VC Gauge Properties?

How are the properties for resizing and positioning gauges on the VC panel determined? I know each gauge in the panel.cfg file has a string of numbers separated by commas determining their positions and sizes, but how do I interpret what each number means?

Example: gauge16=172Things4!transponder, 1035,691,276,61

I'd like to try adding a DME gauge/instrument underneath the radio stacks into the Carenado Cesna 172N Skyhawk II, and I've swapped a few of it's instruments before for more modern ones, and now I'd like to try adding a DME. I know there needs to be holes for the gauges to show up in the 3D cockpit, but is their a way to have the gauge move towards you? Like move in or out of the panel? :confused:

1035 is the longitudinal starting position of the gauge on the panel from the left edge of the screen.(in pixels)

691 is the vertical distance down from the top of screen starting position of the gauge.(in pixels)

276 it the horizontal pixel length of the gauge and 61 is the vertical pixel length of the gauge.

The rest is all magic to me!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

how do I interpret what each number means?

Example: gauge16=172Things4!transponder, 1035,691,276,61

Ok, here we go!

I'll highlight each number I'm talking about in red so there's no confusion about how many after the gauge name to look to find a number,

The first number, 1035,691,276,61, indicates the gauge's horizontal position on the cockpit's image. It's in pixels, so in this example, it's 1035 pixels from the far left of the image used for the VC. The second number, 1035,691,276,61, is the position vertically, from the top of the image. So, the first two numbers define exactly where on the image used, the upper left corner of the gauge is located.

The next number, 1035,691,276,61 defines the gauge's horizontal size. In this case, 276 pixels, measured from the top left corner. The last number, 1035,691,276,61, defines the gauge's vertical size, from the top left corner of the gauge's image.

Is that what you wanted?

Like move in or out of the panel?

No. The gauge's position is defined in relation to the plane of the image utilized by the VC's .mdl file. IE: It's always in the same plane as the other gauges. Unless you have access to the VC's .mdl file raw data, or use MCX to gain access, which gets into lots of fun legal "stuff" to deal with.

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

PS: As usual, Zippy beat me again. He types much faster than I...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Ok, here we go!

I'll highlight each number I'm talking about in red so there's no confusion about how many after the gauge name to look to find a number,

The first number, 1035,691,276,61, indicates the gauge's horizontal position on the cockpit's image. It's in pixels, so in this example, it's 1035 pixels from the far left of the image used for the VC. The second number, 1035,691,276,61, is the position vertically, from the top of the image. So, the first two numbers define exactly where on the image used, the upper left corner of the gauge is located.

The next number, 1035,691,276,61 defines the gauge's horizontal size. In this case, 276 pixels, measured from the top left corner. The last number, 1035,691,276,61, defines the gauge's vertical size, from the top left corner of the gauge's image.

Is that what you wanted?

No. The gauge's position is defined in relation to the plane of the image utilized by the VC's .mdl file. IE: It's always in the same plane as the other gauges. Unless you have access to the VC's .mdl file raw data, or use MCX to gain access, which gets into lots of fun legal "stuff" to deal with.

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

PS: As usual, Zippy beat me again. He types much faster than I...

Ah, ok yea that helps. I forgot about how the gauge numbers are defined in position and sizing the gauge, so that's why I asked about it. I've swapped gauges out for other gauges before, and isn't too hard as long as there's a hole for the gauge, but I was asking if it's possible for the gauge to move outward and come through the texture of the panel, but I guess there strictly needs to be a cutout for it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ah, ok yea that helps. I forgot about how the gauge numbers are defined in position and sizing the gauge, so that's why I asked about it. I've swapped gauges out for other gauges before, and isn't too hard as long as there's a hole for the gauge, but I was asking if it's possible for the gauge to move outward and come through the texture of the panel, but I guess there strictly needs to be a cutout for it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Johnny - Don't you worry about a hole. You find a spot big or small enough, figure out what your gauge positions might be (I usually look for something close to where you want the gauge to go, then get ready to make a guestimate, first two digits are critical, the third and fourth are mainly for size) and then plant it. Holes not required! The easiest is the replacement where you have a circular gauge already, you found a replacement same size, Eazzzzzy Peazzzzzzy! Did I spell that right?

Rick :cool:

Hey, Rick

You better be extra careful now. You learned TWO words!

I try to limit the things I learn to no more than one per day. Much more than that and I get brain-cramps...

:rolleyes: :p ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes, unlike the 2d panels that downwind uses, in the vc there needs to already be a cutout to place it in. Can't create those, so will have to first remove a gauge to create a hole to place the new one in.

In many vc's not all gauges you see are listed in the panel.cfg file. If you want to remove a radio to make room, but that radio is not listed in the [VCockpit] sections, you can not remove it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, unlike the 2d panels that downwind uses, in the vc there needs to already be a cutout to place it in. Can't create those, so will have to first remove a gauge to create a hole to place the new one in.

In many vc's not all gauges you see are listed in the panel.cfg file. If you want to remove a radio to make room, but that radio is not listed in the [VCockpit] sections, you can not remove it.

Well there you go! Yes, that is all I use, 2d panels, sorry Johnny Boy, I guess you will have to keep holes in mind when working with gauges on a vc! That I have not done, so it may not be so easy!

Archived