172 Skyhawk over PHX Sky Harbor

Hi Kenny!

fine pic! Just a question on the other hand: we in France, when we get the PPL, we get it for life. Of course, the right to fly, which is a 'qualification' -- hope the term is correct -- is subject to that you keep flying some hours each year. Which means that when we want back to flight, we don't have to pass our PPL again, but just to be checked for taking back the qualification. The same in the U.S.?

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Great shot! Always enjoy seeing Phoenix.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Thanks to everyone that responded to my screenshot, as always I enjoy reading what you all wrote. To answer Gérard, holding PPL is having Private Pilots License, thanks for bring that to my attention thought I put it in parenthesis. I lost my PPL due to that nasty thing called health bad enough to be pulled. From time to time I go back to small aircraft's in Flt sim. Kenny

Hi!

Well it seems so that in France we have a different regime. Because the yearly medical control is for the renewal of your right to fly a plane only. But that's not linked to our PPL. That's linked to what I call a 'qualification.' Hence even when not flying for a long time, one still can ne named a pilot, because we still hold our license. That's a kind of inalienable basis. All the rest, of which the right to actually fly, is factor-dependent

Cheers!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hi!

Well it seems so that in France we have a different regime. Because the yearly medical control is for the renewal of your right to fly a plane only. But that's not linked to our PPL. That's linked to what I call a 'qualification.' Hence even when not flying for a long time, one still can ne named a pilot, because we still hold our license. That's a kind of inalienable basis. All the rest, of which the right to actually fly, is factor-dependent

Cheers!

Gerard - Over here in the states, the PPL is yours for your life. It's is only good, as long as you can pass the medical and be able to get a couple successful trips around the pattern and the flight instructor signs you off, okay to rent their aircraft. The PPL can lay stagnant for years and it can be brought back to life with a successful medical and checkout. Nobody can take the actual license from you UNLESS you did something stupid like buzz the White House, then I am sure they would be looking for you and physically revoke the license! If you're a good boy, it will be good as long as your health stays in order and you can still show profiency!

Kenny, from what he says, can't use his PPL because health issues would prevent him from passing a medical. I myself am questionable, as I have had 2 stents placed, will that prevent me from getting a medical, I don't have a clue. Price of flying (renting) has gotten so high, I could ill-afford flying on retirement income! So, I am not going to entertain trying to get a medical! BUT, we both have our PPL's, nobody can take that away from us. At least, they're not knocking on my door! The FAA doesn't even know one's situation, unless you were to put them on notice or an FAA physician notifies them of failure to pass a medical. At that point, you might be contacted?

I for one, am not giving mine up, ever. You never know, situations change. But they better hurry, as I am losing precious time! LOL! Thank god we have the flight sims, to pacify our needs, our passion of flying that once fulfilled our addiction! It works for me as I am sure Kenny, as well!

"we both have our PPL's, nobody can take that away from us"

Thanks for that answer. Both regime, in the US, and France, are the same indeed. Usually that's about like that in terms of aviation, with some discrepancies here and there

Thanks Downwind66, Larry and enjoyed your story Gérard as for France. It sounds as though our countries are similar the same way when holding a PPL to some degree, asDownwind66 stated we too hold our PPL for life as long as you can pass a two years if I remember medical exam. For pilots that maybe cannot pass their exam for PPL, there is the option of LSA (Light Sport Aircraft), you must have a current drivers license, pass less then normal medical, fly 20 hrs duel with instructor & 20 hours solo after all that you can take up a passenger. The problem is that there is rules like can fly from sunset to sunrise no night flying, no instrument flying, plane has a certain weight restriction and a certain engine. This gets people flying either because they lost their lic due to medical or cannot spend the amount of money for PPL, the FAA hopes that sometime you will upgrade into you PPL. This why I love Flight Simmimg as it allows me to fly, even though I do not leave the ground. Thanks to all who create Flight Sim and downloads. Kenny

Thanks Downwind66, Larry and enjoyed your story Gérard as for France. It sounds as though our countries are similar the same way when holding a PPL to some degree, asDownwind66 stated we too hold our PPL for life as long as you can pass a two years if I remember medical exam. For pilots that maybe cannot pass their exam for PPL, there is the option of LSA (Light Sport Aircraft), you must have a current drivers license, pass less then normal medical, fly 20 hrs duel with instructor & 20 hours solo after all that you can take up a passenger. The problem is that there is rules like can fly from sunset to sunrise no night flying, no instrument flying, plane has a certain weight restriction and a certain engine. This gets people flying either because they lost their lic due to medical or cannot spend the amount of money for PPL, the FAA hopes that sometime you will upgrade into you PPL. This why I love Flight Simmimg as it allows me to fly, even though I do not leave the ground. Thanks to all who create Flight Sim and downloads. Kenny

Ahhh, yes, Kenny, I think you are referring to the Recreational Pilot Certificate. This came out long after I got my PPL, so I am not that versed about the requirements and/or restrictions! And I too, will say again as you have above, we are all fortunate to have flight sim whether you have ever held a PPL or you started out flight simming w/o any formal flying lessons! I often think that had I not gone the PPL route, how much harder it would be to learn the fundamentals of flying on your own! I marvel at seeing someone on here, struggling to make sense of the whole thing, which makes me wanting to help in any way I can. My father was a PPL and god only knows, I leaned on his knowledge many times! At least Kenny, you and I had an instructor sitting next to us to show us the way, to keep us out of trouble, and that says a lot for where we are today! 2 guys who love this thing called flight, we still have our memories, but the flight hasn't left us totally, thanks to Flight Sim!

Thanks for sharing Kenny! Rick :cool:

for life as long as you can pass a two years if I remember medical exam.

Back upon there: when I wrote 'qualification' that was the term for 'rating,' in English I think. That should help for a better understanding. In France, it's only the rating which is subject to the medical exam and flight hours requirements, and not the PPL itself

Very interesting different countries have there title of PPL. Yes you are right it is called Recreational Pilot Cert. Downwind66 me too, I got mine in 1973 Jr in High School, lost it at age of 36 due to a heart issue (bummer). When everyone was getting high, I was flying high. I was born into the aviation world as my father was a test pilot for McDonnell Douglas on 8's, 9's and beginning of the 10's until he had a few heart attacks and the FAA medical examiner pulled it. That' nice of you to help the none PPL out on sims Downwind66 when they need it. The problem with me when using sim it is not the real thing, and I am not sitting there to instruct that sim pilot. I have a video of my solo for my memories for ever. Thanks Kenny

Archived