Rocks in California

Near Santa Barbara we were looking to see if ORBX showed the Serra Cross in the mountains. Sorry, they don't. However there's some pretty good looks at typical California fire trails. Sadly, RW this area has according to the news suffered some awful fires this year!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Boy, oh boy, that all looks familiar!!

I hiked all over those hiss as a kid. Some GREAT places to watch the July 4th fireworks out over The Bay. Or to watch the fog rolling in off the sea at dusk.

I believe I even noticed Skyline Blvd in the 6th picture. Home of Alice's Restaurant, for those that remember THAT little ditty.

I even saw some of my favorite surfing beaches there, too!

Thanks for the great pics, and memories, Michael!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi Folks, thanks for looking!!

Yes Pat, as I have mentioned before, my buddy had a V-tailed Bonanza and we flew up that way often. (When we could afford the avgas!!) Though if I were ever were at Alice's, I don't remember it.

But then again there are one or several other visits I've made to places I don't remember. Perhaps there was something in the air back then??:rolleyes::o

G'erard, you being up a good question. Some places like Jay Peak, Devil's Causeway, etc. are obviously rock. Again in these shots, I believe you can see lots of exposed rock as well. But I've always thought of mountains being primarily made of rock. Perhaps I'll change my rock titles to rock that is exposed.:confused:

Michael

Remembering Fire Trails: During this era I was primarily posted at MCAF Santa Ana and lived for a time in Orange nearby. Directly past Orange were the Saddleback Mountains. There was a motorcycle and dune buggy area there which first introduced me to riding fire trails on a motorcycle.

Funnily enough, if you knew the routes well enough, you could often get from point A to point B in So. Ca. quicker riding fire trails than driving in traffic on the freeways! Especially on Friday and Sunday afternoons when everyone loaded up to go to/from the mountains for the weekend.

My TR-6C motorcycle could handily run over 50mph on the fire trails as long as you didn't encounter someone coming the other way on the same track!!??:eek::eek: That sure beat sitting still on the freeway!! I'd bet big bucks that after 911, those fire trails are now hugely off limits to the general populace!:mad:

Perhaps I'll change my rock titles to rock that is exposed.:confused:

Michael

No, no Michael, don't change anything. That's all good. I was just kidding! :):) Typical French spirit, I think! :) Cheers

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Excellent shots, thank you.

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived