Windoze update failed me!

Ok, i know i shouldn't have but i installed the latest windows update (feature update windows 10, version 1803). KB4134661

Fsx won't start. Error id=25 null.

Any ideas?

Ive tried uninstalling the update to no avail.

I've tried deleting fsx.cfg to no avail.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stinger - Does Windows 10 have a "Restore back to an earlier time?" That will take you back before the update was downloaded!

Ut-oh! Did you have Windows 10 prior to this update? This looks like an entire new release of Windows 10? What Windows version have you been running?

Rick

And Windows 10 won't allow you to remove that update? In my Windows 7, in the Installed updates section, I believe it will allow you to remove an update? Maybe Windows 10 is different? Just looked it is in the Installed updates, lower left corner of the screen.

Uninstall an Update from the Settings App

The option to uninstall Windows Updates (not driver updates) is buried in the Settings app. Head to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history. Click the “Uninstall updates” link here.

This link takes you to the “Uninstall an update” dialog, where you can uninstall an individual Windows Update if it’s causing problems on your system.

This only lists all the updates that have been installed since the last major update, or “build“, of Windows 10. For example, Windows 10’s Creators Update, Anniversary Update, and November Update were all major updates.

RELATED: How to Roll Back Builds and Uninstall Updates on Windows 10

To roll back a build of Windows 10, head to Settings > Update & security > Recovery. If it’s been less than 10 days since you installed a build and you haven’t removed its files with Disk Cleanup, you’ll see a “Go back to an earlier build” option. Click “Get started” to roll back to your previous build of Windows 10. For example, if you used this option after installing the

Want the link, I can do that also?

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-Windows-10/

Ok, i know i shouldn't have but i installed the latest windows update (feature update windows 10, version 1803). KB4134661

Just in case everyone runs to their update settings now (just like I did :cool: ): I'm running that update since 18/05. No problems.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Uninstall an Update from the Settings App

The option to uninstall Windows Updates (not driver updates) is buried in the Settings app. Head to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history. Click the “Uninstall updates” link here.

This link takes you to the “Uninstall an update” dialog, where you can uninstall an individual Windows Update if it’s causing problems on your system.

This only lists all the updates that have been installed since the last major update, or “build“, of Windows 10. For example, Windows 10’s Creators Update, Anniversary Update, and November Update were all major updates.

RELATED: How to Roll Back Builds and Uninstall Updates on Windows 10

To roll back a build of Windows 10, head to Settings > Update & security > Recovery. If it’s been less than 10 days since you installed a build and you haven’t removed its files with Disk Cleanup, you’ll see a “Go back to an earlier build” option. Click “Get started” to roll back to your previous build of Windows 10. For example, if you used this option after installing the

Want the link, I can do that also?

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-Windows-10/

I have tried uninstalling the recent updates....no joy. No options are available to go to an earlier build. [emoji26]

SORTED !

I managed to get it work by copying fsx.exe to the desktop. Then i deleted the fsx.exe file (which was showing 0 bytes) in the main folder. Then i copied the desktop copy ( which was showing the correct amount of bytes) back into the main folder (it wouldn't start from the desktop).

Double clicking it when it was back in the main fsx folder(now showing the correct amount of bytes) had me back in business.

Once pinned back to my start bar all was back and working.

Phew !

Cheers all

Stinger

Stinger - Sorry I couldn't help! I hope someone who knows Windows 10 and how it reacts to FSX will come along and offer assistance!

Good luck! - Rick :(

Hey! Good for you! Glad you got it going! :cool:

Sometimes it just takes a few pals to chip in with suggestions to fire up the grey matter.

I saw that the fsx file was showing 0 bytes in the main fsx folder, that seemingly was the issue as once i copied back in a version showing the correct properties all was ok.

Thanks for chipping in.

Stinger

So, it may or may not have been a Windows 10 issue? Maybe just a coincidence?

At least you got it going, that's what really matters!

Have a nice evening! Phew is right! - Rick

I am convinced it was the update that did it. How i dunno, but its too much of a coincidence when its been fine for 5 years or more.

You may have to right click on FSX icon and choose 'Run as Administrator'. Worth a shot.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I posted my problems with the update the other night. Thought I had auto-update turned off but it snuck up on me. Crashed my whole computer!

The rebuilding fun starts tomorrow night. Not the computer, just the stuff on it..

This is terrible, I've had auto updates turned off but there have been times when for some unknown reason they get turned on again by some program and I was unaware, luckily I spotted it a turned them off again.

Col.

If it was a problem with the Windows 10 or its updates, it would have happened to me, who has been running FSX under Windows 10 almost from when Windows 10 came out.

It didn't - therefore, it is NOT a problem with the Windows 10 or its updates.

This is simple logic that everyone should be able to grasp.

Find something ELSE to whine about.

Jorgen

This is terrible, I've had auto updates turned off but there have been times when for some unknown reason they get turned on again by some program and I was unaware, luckily I spotted it a turned them off again.

Col.

To make sure updates are off, go to Services and turn it off from there. Then when you are ready to update after you have cloned your computer you can reenable the service and manually update as you so desire.

Archived