Windoze update failed me!

Ok, i know i shouldn't have but i installed the latest windows update (feature update windows 10, version 1803). KB4134661

Fsx won't start. Error id=25 null.

Any ideas?

Ive tried uninstalling the update to no avail.

I've tried deleting fsx.cfg to no avail.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just googled that error and I came up with various threads stating the solution Stinger finally figured out. The shortcut icon was corrupt. This error is not new. As far as i am concerned there is nothing wrong with windows 10. I say bring on the updates. Microsoft is the designer and in charge of the maintenance. When you have a problem google it. If it is a problem with the OS the rest of the world will probably have it also. I try to maintain my computers properly so as to enjoy the flight experience. I am not about to start dictating what needs to be done with windows 10. Let them worry about it. I want to fly.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

That it didn't happen to everyone proves EVERYTHING!

Apply logic, man. That's it. If it bites you in the posterior, and you don't like it, doesn't make it the logic's fault.

Jorgen

I did apply logic. Fsx worked 5 seconds before the update but not 10 seconds after. So it is logical to link the two. One only has to look at the thousands of forum posts by people who have had problems during updating software of any sort, not just windows.

That is not to say that there is something wrong with the update (it would affect everyone if so) but the update caused my problem. That could be a glitch while dowloading the update, a glitch while applying the update or something peculiar to my system.

My original post was a plea for help in the hope that someone had experience of "error =ID25". That's all.

Cheers

Stinger

Okay, maybe it was the update that caused this. But the point is that the problem that what you experienced was not going to be resolved by rolling back the update, reinstalling anything, deleting the cfg file, etc. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. That was not my intent. I do not judged what others do. I just find that some things you just do not mess with. And some of the advice, particularly about windows 10 updates, is not always based on factual evidence.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Okay, maybe it was the update that caused this. But the point is that the problem that what you experienced was not going to be resolved by rolling back the update, reinstalling anything, deleting the cfg file, etc. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. That was not my intent. I do not judged what others do. I just find that some things you just do not mess with. And some of the advice, particularly about windows 10 updates, is not always based on factual evidence.
No worries. No feathers russelled !. Hopefully the post may help someone at some point though before they rebuild their pc.

Cheers

Stinger

The point is that the issue that stopped fsx starting was

a blank fsx.cfg

a 'corrupt shortcut'.

And that there was nothing wrong with the OS.

Stinger's assumption 'it happened after the update'. Was logical.

To keep thinking it was caused by the update, like some in this thread do, does not make sense. (that's putting it mildly)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well i think it was the update. Just cos it didn't happen to everyone proves nothing.

So there [emoji16]

So, if correct, the update somehow changed/corrupted an FSX executable file to read 0 bytes and its desktop icon...……..

If this is the case why only FSX - because logic would dictate that this would have happened to a lot more similar file types and any shortcut linked to them - unless of course MS are so evil as some would have us believe and that they deliberately targeted a former product of theirs...……..

WRT to disabling updates - if you have Win 10 Home edition you can't - even if you turn off/disable the updater services it windows will restart it after a short period. If you have the Pro version or above, it allows you to 'postpone' updates for a while. However, eventually, after a set period, it will force an update.

FTR I have TWO rigs running FSX and Win 10 and neither have had any FSX related problems due to an update. I have had a problem with one of my rigs during some updates - see post #6 in the thread highlighted by CRJ in post #20 of this thread. IME, the main reason that users have Win 10 problems is a failure to reboot after updates - it is amazing how many reported 'issues' reported suddenly 'fix' themselves following some advice given that includes the need to carryout a reboot at some stage.

Regards

Brian

Archived