DC-3 Cargo Weight Air Hauler Question

ColR1948

I'm using Air Hauler and one of my AI aircraft is a DC-3, now when I select a job and for example the cargo weight is 5.600lbs the aircraft has to do 2 trips instead of one.

The reason is the AI aircraft flies with full tanks, I have no control over that, so I can't load less fuel to compensate for the cargo weight, I'm terrible at maths as I have Discalculia, so can anyone help and tell me what cargo capacity can this aircraft carry to do only one trip?

Here is the AI aircraft weight:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]

max_gross_weight=26900.000

reference_datum_position=0.0,0.0,0.0

empty_weight_CG_position=-4.0,0.0,0.0

max_number_of_stations=50

station_load.0 = "170.0, 11.0, -2.0, 0.0, Pilot" //Weight, Lat, Lon, Vert Position

station_load.1 = "170.0, 11.0, 2.0, 0.0, Co-Pilot"

station_load.2 = "405.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, Oil" //Do not remove - essential for operation!

station_load.3 = "1000.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0, Cargo Station 1"

station_load.4 = "900.0, -6.0, 0.0, 0.0, Cargo Station 2"

station_load.5 = "800.0, -14.0, 0.0, 0.0, Cargo Station 3"

station_load.6 = "700.0, -22.0, 0.0, 0.0, Cargo Station 4"

station_load.7 = "500.0, 4.0, 0.0, 0.0, Forward Baggage"

station_load.8 = "200.0, -30.0, 0.0, 0.0, Aft Baggage"

empty_weight=19021.0 // Does not include oil - see loadout above

empty_weight_roll_MOI= 120000.0

empty_weight_pitch_MOI=190000.0

empty_weight_yaw_MOI= 89000.0

empty_weight_coupled_MOI=0.0

CG_forward_limit= 2.0

CG_aft_limit= 2.0

and/or can I edit anything in the weights to make it work and still fly OK?

Col - You didn't provide fuel tank capacities for the Air Hauler, so I used the cfg capacities of my DC3.

One trip, it looks like you will be 1008 lbs over gross. Below is the calculation I did:

Empty weight 19021

Oil 401

Fuel 4046 (604 gals X 6.7 lbs per gal)

Cargo 4100

Pilot & CoPilot 340

Total 27908

Max Gross -26900

Over Gross + 1008

Better plan on 2 trips! - Rick

Thanks, I thought when I mentioned above AirHauler expects the AI to have full tanks, sorry is this what you need, it is the MAAM Sim DC-3 Cargo:

[fuel]

LeftMain= 0.0, -9.7, 0.0, 202.0, 0.0

Center1= 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 200.0, 0.0

RightMain= 0.0, 9.7, 0.0, 202.0, 0.0

Center2= 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 200.0 , 0.0

fuel_type=1.0

number_of_tank_selectors=2

electric_pump=1

Col - Okay, your fuel tanks are different, seeing you also have a Center2 tank, which mine doesn't have! That's another 1340 lbs (200 X 6.7 lbs per gallon) you will be over gross!

That puts your total over gross at 2348 lbs over.

Good luck Col, but I think you definitely need 2 trips!

Rick :cool:

What will that do for you? If you want to circumvent the recommended weight and balance information provided, just pick out an airport with an extra long runway and hope for the best! LOL!

Don't do that, I'm just being funny this morning! The figures are what they are, no getting around that!

Make 2 trips! - Rick :cool:

I had another look in Air Hauler, when I right click on the ai aicraft a popup comes on where I can edit the a few things but also there is other information I can't edit and cargo weight is one of them, but I'm confused because it says 'Cargo Capacity 6431' yet it wouldn't let it fly a single flight but split it in to two runs.

Col.

AH AI aicraft config .jpg

I had another look in Air Hauler, when I right click on the ai aicraft a popup comes on where I can edit the a few things but also there is other information I can't edit and cargo weight is one of them, but I'm confused because it says 'Cargo Capacity 6431' yet it wouldn't let it fly a single flight but split it in to two runs.

Col.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203247[/ATTACH]

Col - I see some differences? Fuel capacity 3624? Empty weight? 16145 I just don't know, I based all my calculations on the original figures you gave me, and now I wonder looking at the new printout you have? Is this a program or download and do you have instructions on how to create and fly a mission? You're the one looking at this, any more info you can give me, might help!

Hi Rick, sorry mate I didn't want to burden you with all this, Air Hauler is a program that runs outside of FS.

You create a cargo company then you select a base airport, you are given a Lear Jet to start with but I sold that and leased a Cessna 172, but as my money grew from doing flights I then sold that and leased a DC-3.

You are presented with a number of cargo jobs and you pick one, you can either fly it yourself in which case it links to FS, or you can select an AI pilot to fly it, in which case it runs on it's own without linking to FS.

The more flights you run the money goes up and as time goes on you can hire more staff and either buy or lease more aircraft etc.

As for the ai flying the run, air hauler couldn't care less as long as the flight is completed, I can open air hauler, select a cargo to take to XXXX and select the ai to fly it, then I can exit air hauler and after the flight time is up I can open it again the it says the job is complete and adds more money to your company.

Col.

I didn't pull out my old slip-stick to check your math numbers. Having said that, all variables including fuel weight make up your gross.

RW: When carrying heavy loads we were always careful to fly with lower fuel levels as needed.

Remember, you don't ever want to be over gross! You might to add a refueling stop or more, but you'll probably be able to fly!! ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Michael, I am able to start another company in Air Hauler, still keeping the original so this is like company number two with a different name.

For some reason I am now able to offload fuel in exchange to add cargo weight, so I'm now able to fly a run with a single mission instead of going back for the rest of the cargo.

I don't know why but I never had this option with ai aircraft in my first company.

Just to make it interesting my original company is based in the UK, mainly flying around the UK and parts of France, Belgium and Holland.

This new company I've started I based it in Ethiopia in East Africa of all places, I've just completed one run, it took me over some mountains then over a desert.

Col.

Hi Michael, I am able to start another company in Air Hauler, still keeping the original so this is like company number two with a different name.

For some reason I am now able to offload fuel in exchange to add cargo weight, so I'm now able to fly a run with a single mission instead of going back for the rest of the cargo.

I don't know why but I never had this option with ai aircraft in my first company.

Just to make it interesting my original company is based in the UK, mainly flying around the UK and parts of France, Belgium and Holland.

This new company I've started I based it in Ethiopia in East Africa of all places, I've just completed one run, it took me over some mountains then over a desert.

Col.

Ethiopia? Oh well, at least you have some options now! I did finish watching the video, this guy was getting himself and his C172 certified for having a business under the Air Hauler umbrella! Interesting!

Enjoy Col! - Rick

I didn't pull out my old slip-stick to check your math numbers. Having said that, all variables including fuel weight make up your gross.

RW: When carrying heavy loads we were always careful to fly with lower fuel levels as needed.

Remember, you don't ever want to be over gross! You might to add a refueling stop or more, but you'll probably be able to fly!! ;)

Hi Michael! Yep, Col put me to work early this morning! He had very little options, like shedding fuel, to carry more, but I guess he found a new "work around" going to a new company! It's interesting, this imaginary business will keep him busy and out of trouble, so that is good! He was making good money and doing quite well at it! Anyway...............

Have a nice evening! - Rick :cool:

Archived