My first landing in fsx ever

Koshal

No criticism intended but you better learn the keyboard keys for the throttle, flaps, spoiler armed and Sim Rate. In the Sim Rate once you are cleared to land it should go to normal to the bitter end. The mouse is too slow for Control, I think.

Nevertheless, Congratulations!

Cheers,

I actually can't even remember my first landing. I just know I started out with the Lear 45 out of Seattle and never looked back. Took me a while of self-teaching to learn how to use ILS. Once I grasped that flying was just awesome sauce sine I had a hell of a time landing in fog. Now I know how to use the ILS. I figure I have at least 2,000 hours under my belt thus far. I started out in FS2004 back in circa 2006.

Your landing wasn't bad. Stayed on the center line. But you need to learn how to flare the plane, use a flap schedule and arm the spoilers prior to touch down. Small steps grasshopper.

Edit- Ah, looking at it again you indeed did have the spoiler armed. No flaps though. HAHA

Koshal - I think you did a great job, way to go! I agree with Mabe in his post above, learn the keyboard keys and get away from that mouse. Also, start printing out checklists for each of the aircraft you use, especially the larger jetliners and USE them! Here is a good link for finding checklists for some of the FS default aircraft!

http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

Keep up the good work! Practice practice practice! Notice I didn't say "perfect?"

Happy flying! - Rick

To echo what everyone else has said, that's one hell of a nice job for your 2nd landing!! I wasn't even brave enough to try a tube-liner till much later than that.

Having said that, I also agree at least learn the keys and key combination on the keyboard!! That will make life a lot easier!!;)

Next step along after that is to start buying some controls such as yoke, throttles, rudder pedals, etc. It's a whole different world flying with a yoke or joy stick with rudders rather than keyboard and mouse!!:cool:

Finally, welcome aboard!! There are few questions you can't find answers to right here. And also check out the freeware in the forum library as well.

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm going to stick my neck out slightly further than Rupert and say definitely get yourself a joystick. It makes the flying experience so much more enjoyable and realistic. Remember the joy stick will come with a throttle access, and all buttons are customizable so you can set it up for your personal preference. Just my 2 cents worth and you are obviously free to do as you wish.

That was a good landing, i remember crashing it several times before i managed a successful landing.

Or at least a game pad. I used to use that all the time before I got my yoke and pedals, and was pretty good with it. I mapped the left joypad stick to elevator and aileron and the right joypad stick was mapped to rudder.

I remember one of my first landings with many bad results: Going back to the mid 1980's with MS Flight Simulator version 2, I believe - trying to land on Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles.

To this day, it's still a very challenging air field to land on - about 1,600 feet in the air, and not much runway for error. Sometimes I still have to go around to try to stick the landing...

Archived