Moving FSX to external SSD Hard Drive

Been thinking about putting all my FSX stuff on an external SSD hard drive to free up some space on this laptop, it's getting full and moving all my FSX stuff on an external drive would sure free up a ton of space. It's this something that's relatively easy to do and does it sound like a good solution? Any idea's and suggestions on how to do it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've moved my FSX install numerous times; the first few times I used the registry repair tool from Flight1 (http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe). Later I used a similar tool inside Ultimate Terrain for the same functionality. FSX "doesn't care" where it is located; the registry is only needed by some addon installers. You only have to [1]copy or move your install files; [2] manually run the registry repair tool; and then [3] manually edit your scenery.cfg file to point to the new location of any scenery in non-default locations. [4] If you have complex addons they may need to be uninstalled from the current location and reinstalled at the new location FSX location (you didn't specify what kinds of addons are in "all my FSX stuff".) If you have a mostly basic install it should be done in a few minutes. A more complex install with lots of addon could take several hours - you would be effectively rebuilding your setup over again. It doesn't have to be complicated but it could be...

Been there, done that. When a drive gets full, it's the only way forward.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Better way:

make a system image of your internal hd.

Store that image on the external hd.

Take out the internal hd (don't format that yet).

Install a new, larger, internal hd.

Restore the system image to the new internal hd. No need to reinstall anything.

The problem with just moving to external is that all payware addons have their own registry entry. They will all need to be uninstalled before the move and reinstalled after. Some freeware addons have registry entries too actually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is suggested is that you buy a larger internal HDD. FSX, and scenery, plus addons, will not really function well when you have to go thru USB port for data in/out operations. Changing to a larger HDD on a laptop is not difficult. Just have to take your time. Go YouTube to watch videos on how to do it. Or take laptop to a good PC shop (but NOT Best Buy!!) to swap HDD you buy on Amazon (to save $$).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

FSX, and scenery, plus addons, will not really function well when you have to go thru USB port for data in/out operations.

Modern USB 3 SSDs and HDDs will run FSX just fine. The only issue to worry about is making sure the drive uses the same drive letter each time it is connected.

Been thinking about putting all my FSX stuff on an external SSD hard drive to free up some space on this laptop, it's getting full and moving all my FSX stuff on an external drive would sure free up a ton of space. It's this something that's relatively easy to do and does it sound like a good solution? Any idea's and suggestions on how to do it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Read about methods of sharing Folders across drives. You can move scenery or aircraft folders by simply amending the FSX .cfg or you can symbolic link files.

What is suggested is that you buy a larger internal HDD. FSX, and scenery, plus addons, will not really function well when you have to go thru USB port for data in/out operations. Changing to a larger HDD on a laptop is not difficult. Just have to take your time. Go YouTube to watch videos on how to do it. Or take laptop to a good PC shop (but NOT Best Buy!!) to swap HDD you buy on Amazon (to save $$).

Chuck B

Napamule

Pretty sound advice, Chuck. I was considering a bigger HDD for my laptop for a while now too and I'll think I'll just pay someone to make the swap. The horror stories of people frying their hardware when doing stuff like that on their own back in the day really made me not want to do that on my own lol. I do realize it's much simpler and the components are much more resistant to that kind of stuff nowadays though.

You should make use of Noocube asap.

I am glad you agree and happy to hear you will get a larger HDD. Makes life simpler. I have been working with electronics (radar, tv, computers) since 1960 and I still have to 'double check' everything I do. I put together my PC from parts I bought (NOT Best Buy) from a small PC shop (knew what to buy). So, it's like working on a automobile. All it takes is money to get it done. Or skill. As for swapping HDD on laptop: get a 16 year old to do it for you - lol. And, yes, the pc's are easier to work on now. Plug-N-Play (almost). Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived