FSX Steam Majestic Dash Errant steering

flibby46

Hi all

I've recently installed the Majestic Dash Q400 on my FSX. It's amazing, but I can't get the a/c to steer on the ground. Progress along a taxiway is more like a slalom. Set up for takeoff and the a/c goes off into th undergrowth. Is this an FSX settings problem?

Flibby

No, Mr Zippy, 'fraid not. I wish it were that easy to solve. I've read elsewhere that I might have a conflict between the set up in the Majestic .ini file, the FSX controls settings and, maybe, FSUIPC. It only happens with this a/c software - every other aircraft (including different versions of the Dash) doesn't do this.

That ac requires FSX Acceleration. Have you got that?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

No, Mr Zippy, 'fraid not. I wish it were that easy to solve. I've read elsewhere that I might have a conflict between the set up in the Majestic .ini file, the FSX controls settings and, maybe, FSUIPC. It only happens with this a/c software - every other aircraft (including different versions of the Dash) doesn't do this.

What have you set tiller steering to?

To be frank, I don't know. How will I find out? I now have another problem. My entire file 'tree', in Program Files, downstream from Steam\steamapps disappeared! I could still 'log in' to FSX Seam in 'offline' mode (I don't connect to the internet while using FSX) and it was all there and working (except steering the Dash) but all the files were missing. What's more, when I went 'looking' for them by doing a Windows search, I discovered everything was now in folders titled FSX-SE whereas before they were under FSX. Last night I deleted FSX from inside Steam and started again but the same thing happened, so now I've done a thorough clear out of everything with eithe FSX or Steam in the file name and I'm going to attempt a clean reinstall, including a fresh copy of Steam.

Hi all. After a total clean reinstall of FSX and the MJC Dash I was back where it all began: working except for ground steering issues. I mailed Majestic and they came back immediately with a fix (which worked) - see below.

The Q400 aircraft has a strong propeller tail wash effect, resulting in a

significant yaw force whenever engine power is present

If you don't have a dedicated set of rudder pedals, and not using the

twist axis of your yoke for controlling the rudder, the aforementioned

effect can be deactivated by opening the ini/mjc84.ini configuration

file, located inside the mjc8q400 folder, and changing the following

variable

YAW_DUE_TO_PROPWASH

as follows

YAW_DUE_TO_PROPWASH =0.0

Thanks everyone who answered my question. Happy simming!

Buy rudder pedals as soon as possible or give up on the Majestic. You'e simply not equipped.

Such a presumptuous answer.

I have steering tiller (through FSUIPC) set to one of the ring controls of my X-52. Handles all aircraft (including the Majestic Dash-8) quite OK. I even consider it more realistic than using rudder pedals for nose wheel steering.

Pedals which I don't have btw.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I have this aircraft also. I don't have rudder pedals as such - I have a twist grip yoke to control rudder.

any way rudder control is no good until nearly take off spead.

However I have found that I can ground steer by using AILARON............

I purchased the Majestic Pro when it first came out - it's still a challenge for me to both fly, and to land it, esp. In any kind of crosswind. I almost alway mess-up the landing, and lose a tire or two along the way... So I put in the hanger for a few months, and then bring it out again to try to master this bear of an aircraft.

But thanks for the config tip - I'll have to try that modification myself....

That is not a solve. That is a workaraound.

Buy rudder pedals as soon as possible or give up on the Majestic. You'e simply not equipped.

Thanks for your advice Malcott but there is enough functionality in my set-up to cope with the complexities of the Majestic Dash - with a "work around". When I fully understand the software, the systems and procedures, and find myself constrained by lack of pedals, I'll seriously think about buying some - and upgrading my OS and computer's performance while I'm at it. I have realistic aspirations, know my own limitations, and use my FSX (and before that FS9) for fun.

Thanks for your advice Malcott but there is enough functionality in my set-up to cope with the complexities of the Majestic Dash - with a "work around". When I fully understand the software, the systems and procedures, and find myself constrained by lack of pedals, I'll seriously think about buying some - and upgrading my OS and computer's performance while I'm at it. I have realistic aspirations, know my own limitations, and use my FSX (and before that FS9) for fun.

As noted the real aircraft has a huge torque steer on power application. You cannot control that with a wobbly stick. If you had rudder pedals you wouldn't need the fudge-factor fix in the .ini file and would have a `spare` device input to allocate to the tiller steering, for which the twist grip is ideally suited. You could use the aircraft as intended...

Substantial understanding of the MJC84.ini is an obligatory requirement for this aircraft as it performs many of its functions - including control response - OUTSIDE of the FSX operating environment.

Archived