Samsung 49" 32:9 Monitor - Anyone try this?

Goatman24

Just curious if anyone has tried using this monitor with FSX. It looks pretty amazing.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

That's what I'm trying to get away from though is having a bezel in the middle of my screen. I currently have two AL2216W Acer monitors. Here are those specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-al2216w/specs/

Would the resolution be worse than these? Sorry, I don't understand this stuff much. I'd like to find something comparable to these two monitors in size but with one screen instead of two.

Thanks

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

3840 X 1080 is a very low resolution for such a large, expensive monitor - you could get a similar effect with two 24" full HD monitors for a tiny fraction of the price.

The aspect ratio (32:9) is different with these ultra-widescreen monitors than most monitors (16:9) so the resolution isn't bad. It is aimed at gaming, though the high refresh rate isn't much use for simming, and Freesync only works with Radeon GPUs.

Good info., thanks.

Mitch

The nice thing with this unit is that it would completely fill the space above my dashboard. I have a SUV interior top set up and the radius of this is pretty close to being what the radius of my roof in the cockpit is. I wish there was a way of seeing how it looks first without shelling out the money and finding out it's not what I expected. I'm curious as to how the screen would fill out. Would the FSX take up the whole screen and would it not be stretched?

Maybe I should post this in the cockpit builders section of the forum.

Mitch

I'm curious as to how the screen would fill out. Would the FSX take up the whole screen and would it not be stretched?

You can easily explore this by running FSX in windowed mode and resizing the window to a 32:9 aspect. The short answer is that FSX doesn't stretch the view, it displays correctly at any aspect ratio. The slightly longer answer is that the projection algorithm FSX uses has the side-effect that things become distorted as you move further away from the centre of the image. With a 32:9 view this will be quite noticeable in the horizontal direction, but not as noticeable as a typical (48:9) three-screen display.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks Mark. Good information.

Only concern is how much worse my picture will look with less vertical pixels per above now. I think if it's not too bad I may go forward with it.

Mitch

Good news guys!!! Received monitor today and it looks fantastic. I'm very pleased with how nice a picture I get. What an amazing difference from what I was using. Money well spent.

Thanks for all the input. Now I just need to get it mounted properly. I will not be using the stand it came with because of my set-up.

Mitch

Samsung49.jpg

3840 X 1080 is a very low resolution for such a large, expensive monitor - you could get a similar effect with two 24" full HD monitors for a tiny fraction of the price.

That's precisely what I tried but having a bezel right in the middle of the view makes landings a real challenge. One monitor or three. Two don't really work. :( -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Here's an updated video using a decent camera:

Mitch

That's precisely what I tried but having a bezel right in the middle of the view makes landings a real challenge. One monitor or three. Two don't really work. :( -- Bob

I agree.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived