intel against Rizen cpu?

kenrgardner

Hello Sirs, Thinking i need advice from you FSX Gurus ? This elderly Prof, not being into the workings of Fsx and its associate support progs. Looking for better performance i purchased a Rizen i5 cpu along with a new gaming board from asrock. Finding Rizen does not too readily accept FSX and associates. When introducing Acceleration, it installs but does not initiate online and puts fsx into the demonstration mode ? Now question please, Would Fsx and associated Programmes run better with a new Intel i5 ? This situation prompted me to restore a very old intel motherboard running a old intel i3 to which fsx does seem to be accommodated but is somewhat slow in startup and operation ? Advice most welcome please.Prof.Ken in Ro. ( Prof.k.r.g1@gmail.com )

The Ryzen CPU is from AMD, right?

It is generally accepted that, because of the way the processors work internally, Intel CPUs are better for FSX. Currently, the best bang for your for FSX, CPU-wise, is the i7 7700 as far as I know.

But, and I cannot remember who wrote this where, there are some Intel CPUs out there that have a very interesting price/performance ratio and can be overclocked easily.

Jorgen

Hello Sirs, Thinking i need advice from you FSX Gurus ? This elderly Prof, not being into the workings of Fsx and its associate support progs. Looking for better performance i purchased a Rizen i5 cpu along with a new gaming board from asrock. Finding Rizen does not too readily accept FSX and associates. When introducing Acceleration, it installs but does not initiate online and puts fsx into the demonstration mode ? Now question please, Would Fsx and associated Programmes run better with a new Intel i5 ? This situation prompted me to restore a very old intel motherboard running a old intel i3 to which fsx does seem to be accommodated but is somewhat slow in startup and operation ? Advice most welcome please.Prof.Ken in Ro. ( Prof.k.r.g1@gmail.com )

The processor has no effect on installation or activation of the sim, only performance. Are there any error messages given?

For performance Intel's processors do run better, especially at the higher clock speeds. However, AMD's Ryzen generation has closed the gap somewhat. When considering price, they are decent processors.

Hi Ken,

See this THREAD - carryout the actions given by MrZippy at post #2. This should resolve the issue.

Also, I suggest that you edit your post and remove your email address as it is a bad idea to include it. If someone wants to directly contact you they can use the site's Personal Message (PM) system. Sadly, despite the best efforts of the site admins (on this website and others), it is all to easy for 'baddies' to 'mine' websites for email address to send spam to.....

Regards

Brian

The processor has no effect on installation or activation of the sim, only performance. Are there any error messages given?

For performance Intel's processors do run better, especially at the higher clock speeds. However, AMD's Ryzen generation has closed the gap somewhat. When considering price, they are decent processors.

If you're mainly a FSX simmer, there are no advantages to AMD that I can tell!! I've tried several AMD processors, since they work well with the RW things people who have RW jobs do. My wife, who still has a job, is very happy with AMD chips. And I installed them on both of her computers.

Having said that, as a disabled RW flying veteran who can't work for a paying job, I find Intel processors to be much better when "flying" with FSX!! It's probably because when Microsoft was designing their flight simulators Intel was the resource they used.

IMHO Buy the fastest Intel processor you can afford! Then back it up with 16G of the fastest RAM you can afford. Leave the AMD products for those who want to improve their work response time. AMD and any Microsoft flight sim aren't on even the same page!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, regarding amd cpu's

I currently amd and have no issues with fsx performance i have the fx 8350 cpu which by todays standards is becoming old. There is plenty of gas in the tank ( so to speak) and then some. And the newer amd ryzen cpu's are very close to intel performance wise. Do the older amd cpu's suck? ... Yes but if you have an fx 8000 series cpu and anything higher going into ryzen. there is plenty of power for fsx

Archived