Loyal to MSFS

iflysim

Hi, guys. I was just wondering, how many of you are still using MSFS (Microsoft Flight Simulator)?, despite there being new sims out there such as P3D v4, X-Plane 11, Aerofly FS2, etc. I have a high end PC by Jetline Systems, but I still use FSX faithfully. Am I the only one? I've been using Microsoft flight sims since FS 5.0. Though I do have X-Plane 11 installed, I rarely use it. TBH, sometimes I want to start using X-Plane 11 as my main sim (mainly because of the FlightFactor aero 757 version 2 Professional), but I have spent so much money on payware add-on's for FSX, that it would hurt to let it go.

I use FSX Gold and P3Dv.4.1 and v3

Hey, that's great! I heard that The 757 Captain III by Captain Sim is supposed to be coming out for FSX pretty soon (it's available now for P3D v4). Just gives me another reason to stick to FSX still :p

Here's a clue: FSX and the other MSFS forums combined have over 500 viewers at this moment. The X-Plane forums have a total of 15. Other sims are not even in the ballgame. Draw your own conclusions.

Actually the MSFS Screen shot forum usually outdraws everything not FS. ;)

And as an additional note, I just completed a Around The World In Eighty Days Rally on the Aerosoft software site. This rally was open to every sim I've ever heard of, including ships and trains with over 75 entries and FSX was still far and away the biggest draw.

Having said that, only about 35+- finished the event. And despite the fact it was supposed to end 21 December but there are still stragglers reporting in. And I haven't really paid attention to what those who have finished were flying.

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi.

I am not sure how much of it is "loyalty" but in my case I think that there is no other sim that even comes close to meet the practical requirements to use it as an all around tool. In my case I would have no problem switching to something else, if I found something better.

There are many "beat my chest" companies but if they cannot make a basic model that can be used as tool, as far as I am concern they do not have a tool / sim.

In addition when you try to find an airport that is in an unusual location, MSFSX is still the most useful / complete. It may not have the latest information / data base but most of the time that is not an important factor, it's important to just locate it. TV

I've spent more than a few bucks on P3D. What I've found is it is a FSX clone with very little differences from FSX. And I also don't like their portrayal of skies and even the same buildings as in FSX. The colors are at best underwhelming!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Rupert, yeah it is perhaps a clone or copy but for me it is also extremely superior in clarity that I like it very very much....the thing I dislike it is difficult to add the addons to P3D that are in the FSX . and the color /clarity of the skies and things are far superior in my opinion plus the default airports are even better....but opinions of others are welcome and okay by me....have a good flying weekend...

I use FSX Gold and P3Dv.4.1 and v3

I was a heavy FSX user but when I upgraded to Win 10 it all went to hell. I had unexplained shutdowns, instrument approaches did not go well and my old MS Force feed joystick was jerky, no matter how I adjusted the settings. I just quit sim flying several years ago but now want back in. I am a big fan of FSX because I like instrument flying and FSX is very realistic.

Did you get Gold to work correctly? It's been suggested the only way I can get FSX and Win 10 to be nice is to switch to FSX Steam, whatever that is. I'm now retired and have a VERY strong suggestion from my wife that I get back into sim flying :) I realize I will need a newer joystick but don't want to purchase anything until I can be assured FSX will work as well as it did with Win 7. I do have a fairly powerful gaming computer so that is not an issue. Any comments with your experience is appreciated.

fearus, I still use Win 7 and use all the suggested tweaks by others here and my FSX runs fine for me..I am not a computer guru and never used Windows 10 I fly the PMDGs and have a few payware airports plus Active Sky for FSX and that is about it..good luck.FS-Steam is good also and lots of folks use it also..and it is on sale from time to time..

Having left for a few months fsx due to the novelty of p3d, I have returned to fsx acc with steve's DX10SceneryFixer ( and all the orbx and Rex stuff), and for me the colors of the fsx are much better. I have it installed in win 10 and absolutely no problems with the sim. My joystick works ok and my planes addons are the last JF, Aerosoft, Milviz, etc.

I have FSX dlx boxed with the 2 service packs too. I also have X-Plane 9 and FSX-SE. I do not sue X-Plane 9 as I find it hard on my computer resources. I purchased FSX-SE while it was $5.00 and it is no different than the boxed versions as far as what you see on your monitor. I have had issues with AS16/ASCA and Traffic 360 working with it. I am back to the boxed version and think its fine. I hope this helps.... AD

I was addicted to my FSX on my old XP machine and had hundreds of dollars worth of add ons. I was very sad when I moved on to a Windows 7 and found I was one of the unlucky people who was unable to get FSX working on my new system.

I was away from flight simming for nearly a decade until I saw DTG had released FSX on Steam. I paid something like $11 CDN for it, installed it, and was completely elated that it worked on my Windows 7 machine! Then, I was jumping for joy to find out that not only did FSX work, but all of the add ons I invested in work as well.

I've looked at all the other sims available. I've watched videos and tried several demos but I haven't been blown away by any of them yet. So, until that happens, I'll continue enjoying my FSX. :)

Over the years I have had everything that MSFS created. I went to FSX-SE because of the tweaks they had built in and the smoother displays. Now I also have Dovetails's Flight Sim World which I think will mature to an excellent offering. BUT - I am also now using X-Plane 11.11 for one reason only: Helicopters. Under X-Plane the helicopters are so much more realistic. The flight dynamics and quick control response makes for a much better experience. What I am trying to say is that ALL the offerings offer something for a wide range of users.

Habu

I still have both the disk and SE versions of FSX on my computer and use one or the other from time to time. I also have XPlane 10 and 11, and Aerofly FS2 on the same computer.

I am finding that although I still consider FSX a great sim, when augmented with add-ons like the LDS 767 and a ton of scenery adds, I am nonetheless being drawn to XPlane 11. Once I solved some severe joystick problems with XPlane 10 (by getting a new joystick!) and was finally able to actually fly it successfully, the appearance of the Flight Factor 757 and 767 drew me into that world, since they are newer and somewhat more advanced in appearance compared to the LDS 767.

XPlane 11 actually comes right out of the box with airplanes and scenery that make it pretty much the equal of an FSX setup that has been jazzed with some add-ons in both areas. And more add-ons are being released all of the time for XPlane, most of them high quality study sims.

For me, with my setup (a not-so-new Dell XPS with a new GTX1050Ti video card that really saved the day for XP11), I can go either way in terms of flying realism - FSX or XP11. They both work fine. They both fly fine. I do not have a huge library of add-ons for FSX and thus am not beholden by my investment history to that platform. But I still use it regularly because it works well!

Aerofly FS2 is a wonder; indeed, the best for VFR scenery that is out there. It has a way to go to match the others for IFR procedural flying, but if you want to scream down the Grand Canyon at 500 knots and 50 feet nothing else comes close! And I do that too, from time to time.

Fortunately, these things are not too expensive (perhaps excepting P3D) to have more than one. I simply can't resist taking a look at just about everything that comes down the pike! I even have DCS World, although I cannot survive even 2 minutes of the combat environment in that sim! Serves me right for being a trash hauler instead of a fighter jock in the real USAF! Oh well!

Lets all enjoy the glut of flight simulation products that now exists for our perusal. It won't hurt the hobby to acquire more than one, in fact, so feel free to support the developers with a few coins of the realm, maybe even bit!!

I've been using FXS Steam Edition for a couple of years now. I've found it very frustrating to get everything as I want it. Yoke, Rudder pedals, Radio Panel, AP panel and a modified keyboard to emulate switches. Every time I booted up one component or another would not work so I found myself fiddling with config files rather than flying. I recently downloaded the demo of X-Plane and was very impressed. Everything worked flawlessly first time and every other time and it only took an hour or so rather than the days/weeks I spent with FSX. My problem is that I've got EU Orbx scenery and a couple of enhanced Airports as well as Aerosoft Airbus. If it wasn't for that I would convert to X-Plane now. It just feels less cobbled together and more robust.

Alan

Archived