Default 172 has a carb? not fuel injected?

Hossfly68

I've been exploring a lot of wintery flying since I downloaded FSRealWX and we're having snow here on the Gulf. Did a lot of real life winter flying when I lived in Memphis, but not a lot since moving to Mobile. Rarely ever did it in the sim, but with real weather again, I've been exploring and I kept losing power at relatively low altitudes. Played with the mixture, but that wasn't it. Didn't have "Failures" checked, so that wasn't it. Thinking back to my real life days in a 152, it almost seemed like carb icing. Hit the "H" key in frustration. Would ya believe?!?!? All this time I thought I was flying a fuel injected Cessna but some bass-ackwards mechanic stuck a carb on it!

Did some forum searching and found out that it's a known bug in the FS series dating back to FS98. I didn't keep searching to see if anybody had come up with a cure though. Just thought I'd let everybody else (who didn't know about this) in on the secret.

H is pivot heat. Not carb heat.

I may stand corrected if you are referring to H as (shift+h). It gets confusing, sometimes.

Will carb heat also heat up a throttle-body in a fuel injection system?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yep, and real Skyhawks had factory-fuel injection, starting in the middle 1990s with the Lycoming O-360s. Cool beans.

Flown em both. But I knew which one I was flying at the time. FS Skyhawk is supposed to be fuel injected.

Granted, in the overall scheme of things, it's a tiny problem..

I'm no expert (X is an unknown quantity, and a Spurt is a drip under pressure. Think about it... :rolleyes: ), but I believe the air intake route, even for an injected engine, can Ice, under the right conditions, no?

I don't know what sort of routing or other devices the air intake of an injected engine has, but it seems to me it's possible FS just says "It's NOT a jet. It can have intake icing."

Just a thought. I get so few, so seldom, and they die of loneliness so fast, I wanted to get it out before it went out the left ear... :p

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Just a thought. I get so few, so seldom, and they die of loneliness so fast, I wanted to get it out before it went out the left ear... :p

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

Sorta like a fart in a windstorm, eh?;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Sorta like a fart in a windstorm, eh?;)

Well, I don't usually make those out my left, or right, ears, but, ummm....ok... :rolleyes: ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Fuel injection has no "throttle plate" / throttle venturi body as used in a carb; it has a "sorta" throttle plate that is an airflow regulator controlled by the throttle, though and is squirted directly into the intake manifold just upstream of each cylinder head on the air intake stroke. The air acceleration and vaporizing fuel in a throttle venturi causes a temperature drop from OAT, and is lower than OAT. Fuel Injection does not need "carb heat", though icing due to water contamination of fuel can be an issue.

A nice article can be seen here: http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/systems/carbureted-vs-fuel-injected-engines-in-your-airplane-and-how-it-works/

Archived