Kernel vulnerability in CPUs

CRJ_simpilot

A significant vulnerability has been discovered in all Intel processor chips and it’s going to have a huge impact going forward. The Register first noticed this major design flaw in Linux kernel patch notes. All operating systems will have to be updated (Linux distributions, Windows, macOS…).

And the worst part is that this patch is going to affect your computer performance. Based on a few benchmarks, The Register thinks computers running Intel chips are going to be slower by 5 to 30 percent.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/03/a-major-kernel-vulnerability-is-going-to-slow-down-all-intel-processors-2/

Since FSX, FS2004 and Prepar3D are largely single threaded and CPU driven, I shun to think what kind of performance hit this will take once patched.

I've just installed Microsoft's monthly roundup update for Windows 7 (KB4056894) and there's no performance hit at all. This is on a system running an AMD Athlon II 975 CPU OC'd to 4.1GHz.

Problem avoided. ;)

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I've just installed Microsoft's monthly roundup update for Windows 7 (KB4056894) and there's no performance hit at all. This is on a system running an AMD Athlon II 975 CPU OC'd to 4.1GHz.

Problem avoided. ;)

The security issue is with Intel processors only!

Archived