Flight sim gift for dad

Stark

Hello everyone,

My dad's a 77yo former recreational pilot, still follows many things aviation-related even though he doesn't fly anymore.

Would like to gift him a flight sim program. He has a very powerful PC (don't have specs but he's able to run complex design programs easily -- can try to get specs if necessary for better advice), doesn't have any related hardware (yoke, rudder pedals, etc.).

Would value advice: what program would be good to start with, what hardware (if any), etc. I've read/heard good things about Flight Simulator, XPlane (versions 10 & 11), and Prepar3D.

One other note: my dad has some minor vision issues (occasional blurriness due to age-related changes).

Any/all recs are welcome. Thanks!

Before spending money like crazy, There should be a free demo version of XPlane and there was a demo version of FSX a while ago. That got me started on my road to ruination.

Welcome to the "World of Flightsimming" better known as the Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat!:D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You'll get different opinions from different people, so take that into account when looking at the various replies. Personally, I'd get him the Prepar3d (P3D) program, along with some type of joystick (doesn't need to be expensive), with an eye to later (if he continues operating) getting a better joystick, rudder pedals (more "natural" than the twist stick some folks like, especially for those with real pilot experience) and some add-on scenery, such as ORBX (numerous pieces of that puzzle- start with a region, perhaps).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived