Adding side views

beroun

Hi,

Could someone please explain the logistics of how to add side views to aircraft panels, so that these can be seen by using shift/numerical number on keyboard.

After many years of using FS9, adjusting panels, adding gauges and similar, I never paid much attention how to incorporate side views. I downloaded some fantastic aircraft with side views B787, Bonanza and the side views of these are very realistic with rotating engines and similar. I look at these using Shift and numbers on the numerical pad on keyboard. Looking at the panel.cfg of these, there are references to different fixed windows .bmp files but these are not there! Also the VIEW sections are different.

I have one aircraft where I would like to add the side views, even got .bmp files for these but any attempts I made in panel.cfg, referring to these do not seem to work.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

It's all explained in the Panels and Gauges SDK, available here: http://files.fsnordic.net/?download=1623

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi,

You mention that some of the side views display rotating props, etc. If you mean animated moving props, then those are not side view bmp files at all, but instead you are seeing the Virtual Cockpit. If a plane has a VC, then when you use the keyboard to look to the side the VC is displayed instead. So no BMP files are required. When there is no VC, then only static side views can be added, using Fixed Window sections.

And I see no mention of side views in the SDK document?

Basically, to add fixed windows using BMP files, three things need to be added to the panel.cfg file. We'll use an L-188 Electra panel as an example, since I just added them to that plane (it doesn't have a VC, so any view to the side gave a blank outside view).

First the example BMP we are going to add is called FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp. It is used to look to the forward right, using the 9 key on the numeric keyboard with the Numlock on, or Shift 9 with it off.

The first thing we need to add is to the [Window Titles] section. The ... means I've omitted some existing lines. Note that this is the name of the BMP file.

[Window Titles]

Fixed Window31=FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp

Then we need to add something to the [VIEWS] section.

[VIEWS]

VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_WINDOWS=31

This is the name of the view, not the name of the BMP file. In this case they are the same.

Finally, we need to add a section that specifies the BMP file used for this view. This is added after all [WindowXX] sections but before the [VCockpitXX] sections. Since this plane has no VC there may be no VCockpit sections, but there might be.

[Fixed Window31]

file=FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=31

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_size= 1.000, 1.000

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

Once we add all that, when you use the forward right view, the FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp file will be displayed over the outside view.

To give an idea how to add all the views, I will paste the entire sections of this panel.cfg file. I have omitted all the WindowXX and VCockpitXX sections.

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Overhead Panel

Window02=GPS

Window03=Minipanel

Window04=Fuel Planner

Window05=Pilot Notepad

Window06=FE Notepad

Fixed Window31=FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp

Fixed Window32=RIGHT.bmp

Fixed Window33=REAR_RIGHT.BMP

Fixed Window34=REAR.BMP

Fixed Window35=REAR_LEFT.bmp

Fixed Window36=LEFT.bmp

Fixed Window37=FORWARD_LEFT.bmp

Fixed Window38=FORWARD_UP.bmp

[VIEWS]

VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=0,250,30,MINIPANEL

VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.750 //use 0.750 for wide screen outside view

VIEW_FORWARD_EYE=0.000, 0.000, 0.000

VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=10.000, 0.000, 0.000

VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_WINDOWS=31

VIEW_RIGHT_WINDOWS=32

VIEW_REAR_RIGHT_WINDOWS=33

VIEW_REAR_WINDOWS=34

VIEW_REAR_LEFT_WINDOWS=35

VIEW_LEFT_WINDOWS=36

VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_WINDOWS=37

VIEW_FORWARD_UP_WINDOWS=38

//--------------------------------------------------------

[Fixed Window31]

file=FORWARD_RIGHT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=31

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window32]

file=RIGHT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=32

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window33]

file=REAR_RIGHT.bmp

size_mm=1024

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=33

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window34]

file=REAR.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=34

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window35]

file=REAR_LEFT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=35

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window36]

file=LEFT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=36

render_3d_window=1

nomenu=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window37]

file=FORWARD_LEFT.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=37

render_3d_window=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

[Fixed Window38]

file=FORWARD_UP.bmp

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=38

render_3d_window=1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

have one more question on side views.

Have downloaded Open ski AB340 and tried to install new side views. These show OK (followed Tom's instruction) but it also shows some default side views behind these. How can I get rid of the default side views?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Many thanks Tom,

I am not familiar with hex editor but will do some research. If not too much trouble a suitable link to the download would be appreciated. Also some basic knowhow how to use it would be great.

Thanks again,

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Peter, Project Opensky usually have VC and NoVC versions of all their aircraft and there's a NoVC version of the A340 here: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb.cgi?section=jets&file=Opensky_A343-LANCHILE.zip

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim

I have downloaded and tested this aircraft but it has default B747-400 panel, so all is as per the default. I also Implanted this aircraft to my existing A340 aircraft folder, adjusting aircraft.cfg and all but the side views still show. I think it has something to do with the panel I have there:panel.a340sdwv. Make sense sdwv apparently means side views. I like this panel and have adjusted it with some other gauges, so will probably stick to it and avoid looking sideways:)

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Peter, you're on the right track with merging these two A340's, but all you need to do is replace the 'novc' A340's panel folder with the 'side views' panel folder from your existing A340.

Archived