After 15 years+ want to get back into Flight simming

Snowman1929

My prior experience was on XP with a lot of various software from FS98 to flying remote control of model planes. Will need some help picking out first a really good computer system then beginning software. Does anyone want to take me on?

Snowman1929

The OP wrote simming, not gaming ;)

How about XP11 ? After decades I finally switched from FSX/P3D to XP as my primary sim.

From their Homepage:

Welcome to the Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator. No mention of gaming! Your opinion, I suppose?:confused:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

How is flight simulation a game? Does not a game need a winner and a loser, human vs. human, human vs computer, etc. I suppose you win in flight sim when you land safely: I guess you loose when you crash?

But, as we know from years of this back and forth, this particular discussion has no end in sight...

Yeah. A SIMULATED game.
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Following this logic flying an A320 IRL is a game. LOL

As i know at least one senior captain who retired early because he was no longer flying the plane, the computer was, and his actual comment is: "it's more like flying a computer game," I guess you're right.

How is flight simulation a game? Does not a game need a winner and a loser, human vs. human, human vs computer, etc. I suppose you win in flight sim when you land safely: I guess you loose when you crash?

But, as we know from years of this back and forth, this particular discussion has no end in sight...

Not really! FSX came out of Microsoft's ACES Gaming Studio, & the box clearly says.. "Games for Windows'! FSX:SE & Dovetail GAMES's Flight simulators are obviously based on FSX & sold via the largest distributor of games (Steam). All sims sold 'for entertainment' are classified as GAMES, and are played by the majority with gaming joysticks and/or other gaming controllers. No matter how much lipstick you put on them, a game is a game, unless it is 'Not for entertainment'!

So, a winner & lose are not required for a piece of software to be called a game.

Maybe you can call it a game that simulates a simulator?

Just saying!

Back to topic!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

If it's a game how do you 'win' or 'lose' the game?

IF you SIMULATE everything a real pilot does in his aircraft you have a successful t/o,

flight and landing

You must learn to SIMULATE rw factors completely or your flight fails.

NOT your flight 'loses'

Thus it IS a simulator

Archived