Developers Scrap Future Products

Hi all,

Don't think i have seen this posted yet, Future products from Flytampa, Flightbeam, FSDT and 29Palms are to be P3D V4 only. I wanted to see what other simmers here thought about this?

I've heard many mixed comments on it so far.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Developers go where their customers are. So I get it I think.

Unless FSW is going to make a competitive break I think P3D will be the deepest pond, from a commercial perspective. Allthough I'm a day one X-Plane fan and I believe it is the best sim, in my opinion, it lacks the add-ons with high quality characteristics like Active Sky and the PMDG's.

If I had to make money out of add-ons to pay the rent, I'd bet on P3D as well.

Grtz., Hans

I think XP11 is the one to watch, it is a vast improvement over XP10 and finally a strong contender to FSX/P3D. P3D4 is a more logical path for the FSX crowd, but it is expensive and very few FSX add-ons are now compatible. Only a handful of developers are providing P3D4 installers/updates for free. Most are charging a fee or releasing brand new P3D4 versions for which you have to pay again. So, you might as well look at the whole flight sim scene with fresh eyes.

As for me, I was a die-hard FSX user (with over 300 payware add-ons) and XP10 hater. However, I picked up XP11 on the Steam Summer Sale for the equivalent of US$40. I'm so impressed with it and rapidly adding both freeware and payware add-ons and having an absolute blast. Not even thinking of FSX anymore, deleted P3D3 off my computer and not really thinking about even getting the much more expensive P3D4. XP11 is just too good and too cheap.

Oh yes, FSW is an afterthought, I'm playing to get the Steam achievements and then it's going off my hard drive. Without unfettered and independent add-on support, there is no compelling reason to keep it. Having too much fun with XP11, adding all kinds of stuff, mostly for FREEEE!

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

This is a good thread .....I have been simming for (like many) over 2 decades and I like the P3D 3.4 and the V4 and use my PMDGs and yesterday I successfully changed destinations using the FMC in flight with the PMDG747...My point..is that I have what I want and my spending is probably over...no more addons or sims...I have what I want...I also have FS-Steam and FSX Gold.

Sorry, i did not notice the other thread.

It's interesting to hear your input on the change. I have been an FSX user for many years now, I first started with FS98 ( I'm feeling old now )

At the end of the day there are hundreds of other developers for FSX and unless they decide to go down the road of developing purely for one sim i will probably remain with FSX.

Now, if PMDG switch to P3D only, I would probably look at using both sims as i have a TON of stuff for FSX.

How the hell can they do this when P3D is meant (at least their TOS states) that it's not a game. I imagine many, many people blow off the TOS and use the game for fun. But these developers are doing a great deal of harm to the rest of us.

How the hell can they do this when P3D is meant (at least their TOS states) that it's not a game. I imagine many, many people blow off the TOS and use the game for fun. But these developers are doing a great deal of harm to the rest of us.

Agreed. Too many people think that P3D is the successor to FSX when in reality it Lockheed Martin themselves state that it was released as a high fidelity training tool with use in commercial purposes.

There are still over 6000 daily active users of FSX Steam Edition, meaning this doesn't take into account the disk owners and more. X-Plane 11 on Steam hits 1000 users, with much more using other forms of digital download, but I don't think it's a majority just yet.

The userbase is still in FSX! Release more for FSX!!!

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

There are still over 6000 daily active users of FSX Steam Edition, meaning this doesn't take into account the disk owners and more. X-Plane 11 on Steam hits 1000 users, with much more using other forms of digital download, but I don't think it's a majority just yet.

The userbase is still in FSX! Release more for FSX!!!

Wow, those are interesting pages from Steam, never knew one could see those stats. Wish someone would do a proper market share study of the whole flight sim market in terms of what people OWN vs INSTALLED vs ACTIVELY USING. I'm willing to bet my house that FSX will be tops, with P3D a distant second and XP in third but gaining on P3D.

Much more difficult to guess two years out and while I think P3D4 and XP11 will eventually overtake FSX, FSX will die a slow protracted death, and remain a sizeable contender for several years more. Ten years of add-on purchases must have created a very "sticky" user base.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

I wouldn't write off FSX yet either - there's plenty of life left in it yet.

I'm still using FS2004 for my 'serious' simming, and still discovering 'must-have' sceneries and aircraft after 13 years of collecting! I've no intention of deleting any of it, ever.

I have FSX:SE and FSW for fun and to see how FSW develops, make a few suggestions here and there and hopefully end up with the sim I've always wanted - you've got to be in it to win it, as they say - if you don't get involved at this stage you can hardly complain later...

As for P3D, as CRJ_simpilot says, it's not a game and it never will be.

Believe me, LM could easily make it secure access only at any time.

I'm a system admin on two U.K. Government websites and every applicant's registration is vetted very carefully before access is granted, which is a next day service if all is in order.

These two sites are accessible to Govt. staff, a restricted number of partner organisations and approved suppliers only, and I can see the Prepar3d website being run on exactly the same lines sooner or later: Military & Airline staff, Flying Schools and scenery/aircraft developers only.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

As for P3D, as CRJ_simpilot says, it's not a game and it never will be.

Believe me, LM could easily make it secure access only at any time.

I'm a system admin on two U.K. Government websites and every applicant's registration is vetted very carefully before access is granted, which is a next day service if all is in order.

These two sites are accessible to Govt. staff, a restricted number of partner organisations and approved suppliers only, and I can see the Prepar3d website being run on exactly the same lines sooner or later: Military & Airline staff, Flying Schools and scenery/aircraft developers only.

That's a very interesting thought! It certainly where I thought they were going.

Have you shared that on the P3D website?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That's a very interesting thought! It certainly where I thought they were going.

Have you shared that on the P3D website?

I haven't - I chose not to be a P3D user for the reasons above, and the fact that I'm not involved in the Aviation Industry in any way. I did try a friend's P3Dv3 for a while but decided not to risk it, given my responsibilities at work if nothing else.

I did try a friend's P3Dv3 for a while but decided not to risk it, given my responsibilities at work if nothing else.

How then are you ever going to get your L049 endorsement? Oh wait, there just aren't many L049's flying any more are there...

I have to wonder why L-M included the L049 in Prepar3D then. :p

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I have to wonder why L-M included the L049 in Prepar3D then. :p

Sentimentality, pride... and why not? It's their training program after all - they can do whatever they like with it! :)

Archived