FSX just disappeared!!!!

swede1

FSX was working fine Tuesday. Went to bring it up Thursday and nothing. Hit the start icon and NOTHING, no splash page no anything. Its been fine for the last 5 years or so, no hiccup at all. This is not the Steam version. The Gold version. Anyone have any ideas? Read in another post about "NO uninstall before gong to Event Viewer, but, nothing about what to look for. I don't even know of I still have FSX. I'm hoping someone has an answer......Thanks

It could be a Win 10 update! I read yesterday about someone who updated Windows 10 and lost FSX icon on start menu and in the Microsoft Games folder. It must still be installed only something deleted its shortcuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for fsx.exe via Cortana, then create a new desktop shortcut. Also, make sure your graph driver is updated to the last version, or at least april+. If you didn't uninstall it yourself it's definately still there.

Grtz., Hans

Naw it's not the graphics. It's WINDOWS 10 updates. Aparently MS updates are now taking on the role of Anti Virus and FSX FILES can now (somehow) be considered 'dangerous' (ie:a virus). Cheesh. After all FSX is 'just a game' and not a any type of 'BUSINESS ORIENTED' program. DoubleCheesh. I feel like MS considers us (FSX'ers) orphans and just don't care if they hurt us. TripleCheesh.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Naw it's not the graphics. It's WINDOWS 10 updates.

Still update your graph drivers. Old drivers (prior to may 2017) frequently cause glitches under the W10 update. It prevents you from solving the shortcut problem and then run into other sh**.

But hey, it's free advice.

Take it or by all means leave it. ;-)

Grtz., Hans

I have stayed with Win 7 after all the horror stories of sims and 10. Its never let me down, even with add ons .....

Okay...so your problem in this post occurs in Windows 7 then? You're not running W10 to begin with. Our bad...assumption is the mother of all F-ups. :-)

Grtz., Hans

This thread explains some of what to look for in the event viewer.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?303075-FSX-crashing-on-ATC-window&p=2003555#post2003555

One advice at the bottom I have some difficulty with. Mrzippy says if no faulting module, to remove addons and test after each removal.

I think that means he expects it to be caused by an addon in that case.

I think there is more to try first. Like checking for software issues. For example an Anti Virus program stopping it from running.

Cleaning the registry with CCleaner may also help. (When cleaning, do make a registry backup beforehand. CCleaner has a built in option, but you could also do that manually from within Windows.

Making a system restore point may also be a good idea.)

Installing a different videocard driver (clean install) could help. Or perhaps a .Net version.

Just to name a few options.

I say to check such things first, before uninstalling addons, as uninstalling is quick, but reinstalling them the exact way they were may be more tricky.

(Sorry for any incursion MrZippy. I guess I should write my own version of a similar post, and, just like you, save it to a textfile to post in case of similar questions. One day perhaps.;))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(Sorry for any incursion MrZippy. I guess I should write my own version of a similar post, and, just like you, save it to a textfile to post in case of similar questions. One day perhaps.;))

Hey I copied that from Don (fxsttcb)!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

lol:p

Still think I should my own version. Did that for another of fxsttcb's suggestions too. (about backup locations. Great tip too that.). Haven't seen him post in a long time. Hope all is well.

Off to catch me some sunshine now. Have a good one!

il:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am sorry...I should have made the Win7 part of the explaination. Also no new add ons for at least the last 6 months or so. Did notice last night that a couple of my anti virus programs are doing the same thing....click to start and nothing happens. Although my heavier malware-antivirus program ir operating. Is there a way to find out if the FSX is still viable? Someway to by-pass the start icon and bring it up? Really wondering if I should just pull the plug and take it to the shop and have it pulled(FSX) and reinstalled, so I don't lose all my addons. I really am ham handed with this computer stuff ....

I am sorry...I should have made the Win7 part of the explaination. Also no new add ons for at least the last 6 months or so. Did notice last night that a couple of my anti virus programs are doing the same thing....click to start and nothing happens. Although my heavier malware-antivirus program ir operating. Is there a way to find out if the FSX is still viable? Someway to by-pass the start icon and bring it up? Really wondering if I should just pull the plug and take it to the shop and have it pulled(FSX) and reinstalled, so I don't lose all my addons. I really am ham handed with this computer stuff ....

Do you see your Main FSX folder wherever you installed it? If you find it, you can right-click on the blue .exe and send a shortcut to your desktop. I would highly doubt that something mysteriously deleted your entire FSX!

Tried the right click and it went to the desktop. Click on it and it takes me back to the computer page. I am starting to think I need to purchase another "Gold" version and take it and the computer to people that know a whole lot more about this stuff. I would assume that they can uninstall the FSX and reinstall a new version without losing any of my addons. Only other thing would be if anyone can recommend anyone in the Cincinnati area for this.

Saw the "Steam" version when I started looking for the "Gold". and your right, IF you can get an IN THE BOX and SEALED it in the big dollar section. Would the Steam version work almost as well as the Gold? I have a number of add ons...Capt. Sim,A2A B-17, P-51 and other assorted A/C. Would not like to lose them, not only because I like them but the money involved as well.

...........Aparently MS updates are now taking on the role of Anti Virus and FSX FILES can now (somehow) be considered 'dangerous' (ie:a virus). ..........

Although the OP is using W7, there are similarities with a similair issue reported in the forum by a W10 user......

The only program in W10 that could do this is Windows Defender (WD). It should also be noted that W8 also has WD and, if any W7 users have installed the W7 Security Essentials package, they will also have a modified version of WD.

WD is MS's attempt at providing a free AV/Anti-Malware program (alongside its Smart Screen tool provided in IE/Edge) and the only way to turn it fully off is to install a 3rd party AV freeware/payware program. Without 3rd party AV it can only be temporarily disabled.

As the OP states he has 3rd party AV, it seems unlikely that WD is the cause.....

As for me - I run W10/FSX on 2 different rigs, have the latest updates and have not had any problems. I am now missing start menu entry as reported by other but, as I have never used it (always use a shortcut pinned to the desktop and not the taskbar) I wouldn't have known there was an issue.

@ Swede1.....

What happens if you double click on the icon located in the main FSX folder? Does if load FSX or do you get the response as clicking on the shortcut?

Also, what is the install path of FSX and are you running it with Admin Rights.

Something else you could try is look at the Windows update log to see what updates have recently been installed to see if any stand out or if any have failed. It maybe that an update failed to install correctly and running a manual update may resolve the issue.

Attempt to run FSX or any of the other failing programs, and immediately look at ALL of the windows event logs to see what entries have occurred at the time you launched FSX. This may give you pointers as to what is occurring to make the programs fail.

A possible final solution would be to restore the system, using a system restore point, to a point where you know it was working correctly. Once the restore has happened TURN OFF Windows update (WU) and then test the failing programs. If they work OK, change the WU settings to only inform you when updates are available. This will force the OS to requeue missing updates which can then be added one at a time followed by testing to see which one may have caused the problem - time consuming but it may be the only way to find out what is causing the issue.

A tip here WRT WU - if you highlight an update and then click on the 'More Infomration' link in the right hand panel it will take you to a webpage that provides more detailed info on the update allowing you to decide whether or not you want to install it.

Regards

Brian

Look in the event viewer. Also try the other tips I gave 6 posts ago, like cleaning the registry. Not difficult. (but ask is unsure on a step.)

another thing to try is a clean boot. Google how to do that. That way only windows starts and no background programs. May help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, this will be long.....Tried dbl click..nothing

Install is on C I guess...no admin used

No updates lately

Tried running FSX while watching Event Logs ....nothing

Only thing I found in the logs was ...msiInstaller 5/19...1:34:11......Microsoft Flight SimulatorX service pack 2-configuration failed.

Its looking more and more like a PRO clean and sweep and install the Steam system.

OK, this will be long.....Tried dbl click..nothing

Install is on C I guess...no admin used

No updates lately

Only thing I found in the logs was ...msiInstaller 5/19...1:34:11......Microsoft Flight SimulatorX service pack 2-configuration failed.

Its looking more and more like a PRO clean and sweep and install the Steam system.

Just looking back through some of the posts. You stated that you were looking for "another" FSX Gold version. Is that what's on or was on your computer now? Did you try to install FSX Service Pack 2 on top of Acceleration?

It may turn out to be a good idea to let a professional clean up your system!

Zippy, yeah, I have or had X Gold.No, didn't try to install it, was already part of the original download. Considered getting another Gold download but if you want an"In the box and sealed" version its over $100, I think I will have it dumped and give the Steam version a shot. Some of my add ons are a little heavy on memory and speed but won't know until I try it. Thanks to all you guys with advise and ideas. I can't help but think its something small and stupid but my patience is wearing thin.

Fsx gold is not a download. It only comes as a dvd set.

Fsx-steam is a download.

It's still not clear what you have installed, or in what folder it is installed. Not clear what is not starting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have MFS X, the Gold edition...its in the Microsoft Games file and Flight Sim, no matter how many times you click the start icon will just set there and not bring up flight sim.......and yes I know its not a download, it was a multi disc download. When we bought this house, somewhere in all the moving the box has either disappeared or is in one of the attics or the basement, and not to be found.

OK.....

You say that you

- if by this you mean that you opened Event viewer and then started FSX you would not see anything related to the failed start attempt as the logs will be loaded for viewing and, therefore, not able to have data immediately written to them. You need to attempt to stare FSX and once it has failed close it and then open Event Viewer to view the logs.

Also, you have not stated whether you have attempted a system restore yet.......google System Restore Point to get info on what it is and how to run it - it is a relatively simple task that you can undertake without the need to take the rig to a 'pro'.

If you are not confident in trying a System Restore after reading up on it, there are other options available. As you have stated that other programs appear to be affected by this, try un-installing and then re-installing one of the programs involved for which you have the media for. If it works OK after a reinstall then that would suggest that there is no major OS related issue and simply re-installing the affected programs before spending money on getting a 'pro' involved.....

WRT to FSX........

The first thing I would try is to actually un-install the SP2 package that you installed. This may all that is needed to get FSX working again. If not then:

1. Un-install the current FSX install using the OS Program and Features option - do it in the following order:

SP2 (if installed), SP1 (if installed), Acceleration (if installed) FSX main program. Reboot between each in-install to allow the registry to be updated.

2. Download and install a cleaning/registry checking tool (such as CCleaner). Run it to check for any remaining orphaned registry entries - this tool should find and delete not only FSX related links but any other that have been left behind by other programs. TIP - after you have got a working FSX installed, use this tool on a regular basis it will help keep your rig in good condition.

3. Get FSX-SE. This gives you the equivalent FSX Gold and most of you old add-ons should work with it. As with all other version of FSX, do not allow it to be installed within the Program Folders structure. Steam will allow you to install it anywhere so do not accept the default.

Regards

Brian

Archived