Visuals and performance FSX / FSX SE corrupt - software or hardware?

tommyeng

Hallo.

Suddenly the airport ground started looking strange with patches and layers randomly showing through depending on wether cockpit view or spot view, and depending on angle. The startup view with VC HD showed view angel from feet and controls to move up or down were partially disabled. Zoom level was changed. The 2D view had changed in angel and zoom level.

The above happend in FSX SE. I uninstalled and reinstalled - with and without deleting the remaining files manually. No change.

After that I installed and uninstalled/reinstalled FSX De Luxe three times. I have tried without SP1, and with both SP1 and SP2. Same issue. Same behavior. Same graphics and flying problems.

When opening the default FSX flight the with VC view the panel blurres around all over the screen. When in 2D view the panel stays fixed but the graphics outside start moving/hopping/flickering and eventually the aircraft starts moving sideways instead of forward, although it is possible to influence the movement with the flight stick.

I have run the same equipment for a while: Geforce GTX 660 updated drivers, Win10 updated, AMD FX4300 Quad core drivers updated - no change of hardware caused this.

But is there a software reason for this, or is it hardware failure? DXdiag shows no problem (Direct X 12).

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Regards, Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Could there have been a graphics card driver update without you realising? Might be worth posting which driver you are using so that others can check if that one is ok. Other than that I would guess that there is a hardware failure, probably graphics card.

I assume that you haven't changed directx versions and it was running ok using the version you have.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I'm with Stinger. Either a sign of impending hardware failure (and in addition to the GPU you should check the hard drive or SSD the sim is located on - if it's a HDD it might just need a defrag if it's been subjected to all those reinstalls), or something has changed that Win 10 did without your knowledge.

It does that.

Is your graphics card fan running? Is your computer tower/case sitting on or near the floor so it can suck up all of that great floor dust? No papers or books stored next to the tower blocking air flow? Have you opened up the case and cleaned it out recently/never?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi and thanks. Yes, there seems to be a still newer update than the on that Windows thinks is the latest. I'm on it now and hopefully that is the issue. As for Direct X it istn't changed.
Tommy Engman ESNU

Well, the thing is that the failure started after running FSX-SE for a while without problems there. Nothing new happened after the reinstalls. And as for hard drive - i have only one other game - Talos Principle - and that is running well currently from the same HDD as FSX (which isn't the same as for the OS). But they are different kinds of games for sure.
Tommy Engman ESNU

Sorry to say that updating the driver for my Geforce card didn't help at all. What unnerves me is that I really don't know if it is the graphics card that gives me the problem. Not for sure even if it seems most likely, as it occured on the old and remains on the new install. And when Windows says the card and the drivers are performing perfectly it is hard to disagree.
Tommy Engman ESNU

Hi Tommy,

You have stated that W10 is updated - by this do you mean generally with normal updates or has your rig received the 'Creators' update that is being currently rolled out. This is important as the 'Creators' update is a major update akin to a 'new' install as opposed to a series of cumulative updates and, therefore, may be causing the issue. Reviewing the update history will tell you what updates have been installed and may give you pointers as to the cause.

Also, you said that you had checked DX12 and found no problems. As both FSX and FSX-SE use DX9 that is the version you should be checking. Even if you get a report of no errors I would be tempted to download the latest DX9 redistributes package from the MS website and install it. The main reason for suggesting this is that you have attempted to reinstall FSX several times - the DX9 version that comes on the disks are well out of date and an incomplete/corrupted/non-W10 compliant DX9 install is one of the main issues that has affected many FSX/FS2004 installs.

WRT to the GPU drivers - if recently updated or changed you could try rolling back the driver to the last one using the properties page for the device via Device Manger.

Regards

Brian

Brian - the updates of my Win 10 are the "ordinary" cumulative KB updates, not the "Creators" update. (Strangely enough - my laptop has been updated.) About the DX12 - weil, I thought the DX 12 (which should encompass the earlier from at least DX10 from the info of the dxdiag) should be enough. I have not succeeded in locating the download place for DX9, but will try and hope that's the culprit. As for rolling back the GPU drivers that will be the next next thing to do. Thanks for the suggestions. Thought I had a reliable rig :-) !
Tommy Engman ESNU

Tommy,

The Creator's Update to Win 10 is being rolled out "gradually", meaning that MS wants to determine when you get it. But, from the MS website you can download the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, which will enable you to get the update now - I did that myself last week. Be aware that the update will take some time!

And the latest nVidia drivers work just fine with FSX, I have a GTX 960 myself.

Jorgen

Tommy,

You will find the DX ReDist package HERE.

Download to a temp location and then run the installer with Admin rights. Depending on what the installer finds it will either start the install or offer you the options of a repair or full install- in most cases the repair will suffice as it will replace missing/corrupted/invalid files, but by all means opt for a full install if you wish. Whichever option you take, allow it install into the default location(s) that it (may) suggest.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I followed your link and this time there was a startup but it terminates with "Installation complete. The installation program of DirectX discovered that the same or a newer version of DirectX is installed. No installation is necessary." The only option is "Finish". And "Finish" terminates the installer. //

Tried again another way - success with installing. Remains to be seen if it helps.

Regards.

Tommy Engman ESNU

I installed the DX9 drivers. Checking with dxdiag I still find DX12. And there is no change in FSX with the graphics hopping, the aircraft going sideways and only the 2D-panel steady, sharp and managable.
Tommy Engman ESNU

First, the DXdiag page reports DX12 as it the latest version you have installed. FYI you can ID what versions of DX you have installed by simply going to C:\Windows\System32 and looking at the files - DX files follow a standard naming convention so a DX file named d3d9.dll is DX9, d3d10.dll is DX10 and so on.

WRT to the problem - as you have another game that is running fine, it would seem that this is not a hardware failure issue BUT may still be related to an issue caused by a GPU driver update and/or setting change. It is possible that this has caused an issue that is related to a Shader cache issue.

Each time you add new objects to the sim (be it a simobject or scenery) and it is first loaded, data is written to the shader cache. Sometimes. an issue can occur where there is a 'disconnect' between the referencing of the new object and the old. It is worth noting that both FSX and FSX-SE both make use of the shader process and, as both have the same problem, it makes it more likely that a GPU update/shader issue is the probelm

If you check your system you will find folders relating to shaders in a few locations, including the main sim folder and the Appdata folder located within your user profile.

It is important to state that, based on what I have read on the subject, deleting the cache can cause problems, including slower load times and 'jerking' as the cache files are rewritten/populated. There also appears to be a number procedures to be done, depending on what area is affected. As it is something that I have never had to do I defer from giving a course of the action to follow but there is plenty of 'reading' available in the forum regarding the issue and the pros and cons of deleting it. There is also plenty of info if you google the subject.

You state in the OP that you have in-installed and re-installed both versions several times and that you deleted manually deleted any remaining files - however, if this didn't included stuff in the Appdata area then there is a chance that the new installs are still referencing the old cache.

Regards

Brian

Stinger - thanks.

I don't have the X10 box ticked because of FSX's inability to use it well under flight (that's what I seem to remember from years back). But that is not the issue anyway, and not the DX9 -solution either I think, since my problems occured way after I installed the current graphics card and it's drivers - that I also have made a very late update of (january version).

Tommy Engman ESNU

Brian - maybe it is a question of shaders. I remember these being discussed in connection with a tweak method (the one with a webpage you uploaded you FSX.CFG and received a tweaked version in return).

I haven't deleted anything from the AppData folder but the FSX folder (for a new one to be created at installation). Shader folders you say?

But how to affront a shader issue? Well, as you suggest Google might be the long and winding road to take. If nothing else I will be wiser after googling. Thank you very much for your input!

Will try to keep you posted here if I reach some kind of solution.

All the best,

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

PROBLEM SOLVED!?

After the last advice from Brian and Stinger I have searched the forum and web, located the shader folders. Before tampering with deleting folders and so on I did what Stinger suggested (not in my mind beleiving that would help) marked the DX10 button. IT WORKED! After that I have restarted FSX-SE three times but these times in DX9 position. Seems to work like it should. But know this - nothing has been changed but clicking DX10 button, and unclicking it after that. Seems to have been some kind of shader issue. But I have no idea...

Thank you for your efforts.

Tommy Engman ESNU

Glad you got it sorted.....

Based on your comment about ticking and then unticking the DX10 option, it would seen that there was a corrupt entry in the FSX.cfg file - the simple act of ticking/unticking would have written changes into the .cfg file

Regards

Brian

Well Brian,

I really don't know how to understand this, since I reinstalled both FSX and FSX-SE with clean FSX.CFG files and I still had this issue. After the DX10-trick and having returned to DX9 I have reinset my saved fsx.cfg from before and during the ordeal and that doesn't seem to disturb FSX-SE in the least. (And I definitely don't believe in praying so faith or God has not been in play.)

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

It seems that FSX rewrites FSX.CFG occasionally in strange ways. I run three monitors - these are listed by FSX an extra time although the monitors have been listed already. One of these rewritten screens have an non chosen resolution. I suspect that some sort of miswritten declarations in the fsx.cfg cause the flickering of virtual cockpit and other graphics. How I managed to solve this will remain a secret to me, because I did nothing effective. The flickering occured once more and this time the ticking of DX10 did not help. This time it had to do with anti-aliasing in the Nvidia panel and the FSX settings respectively.
Tommy Engman ESNU

Tommy,

Here's how I deal with FSX.CFG, which sometimes can, as you say, be rewritten by FSX in mysterious ways.

To minimize that, when I set up FSX, I went to the sliders and set everything there as I wanted. From that point on, I never touch that panel in FSX again. Instead, I edit everything "manually", or as Mr. Zippy says, with keyboard, whackamole and 2 fingers. Then, after I make changes, I make a backup and stick it where it can't be touched. That way, of something changes for no apparent reason, I can get back to where I was.

Jorgen

Jorgen,

thanks again for your input. I have seen the warnings about entering the FSX setup screen vs manual changes in the fsx.cfg file. So I will take your advice: One lovely day when FSX-SE has performed without errors I will save the fsx.cfg. And at the same time I do get frustrated over the tweaks that diligent users recommend but I cannot succed in using. It might have to do with the FSX-SE version - as my troubles just started happening without me touching anything. I fear that there is something hardware related that has occurred with the graphics card after all.

Thanks again - happy flying!

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Archived