Problem - FSX runs dusk enviroment to midnight, then immediately runs dawn enviroment

Well, I've got a problem I haven't heard of before. Basically, while the "official" time in the time and date menu works correctly, what FSX actually does is extend running the "dusk" textures/lighting/sky/just about everything else through midnight, then immediately begins running the "dawn" texture/environment set. So it's rendering about an hour before sunrise at 1:30 AM local time. It appears to skip the "night" texture/environment entirely. Running FSX Acceleration, on windows 7 32 bit, and have been doing a a large amount of scenery development recently. The problem was first noticed after creating a new fs9 library (involving night lighting) and installing it in an addon scenery; removing said file and replacing it with what was there before failed to solve the problem. Disabling "use system time" failed to solve the problem. Pretty much at a loss for what could possibly be causing this. Also a problem with intermittent rendering of the undersides of the clouds with a relatively bright blue color, but only from certain viewpoints and a certain times of dawn. Also, at said time the brighter "dawn" portion of the sky is much more saturated? bolder? brighter? than it should be.

Anybody have any ideas?

Run the FSX installer for a repair, it sounds like there's something wrong with the .bgl that's in control of the day- and nightthresholds. They're also a graphic setting in the config file so you might want to back that one up by renaming it and fire up the sim to see what happens.

You said the problem occured after installing a certain scenerypack right? Disable all sceneries to see what happens. Than add them back one by one to look and see.

Strange problem! Good luck!

Grtz., Hans

It depend of country and season too. On some period of the year, depending where you fly, you have "darkest nights"...

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

It's always só rewarding to hear back what solved the problem... :-)

Grtz., Hans

I've pointed that issue out several times. There are users and obviously self centered abusers aplenty.:(

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 2 weeks later...
It's always só rewarding to hear back what solved the problem... :-)

Grtz., Hans

I've pointed that issue out several times. There are users and obviously self centered abusers aplenty.:(

I couldn't agree with you guys more; frustrates me when I have a problem just as much. Sorry for the delay, that exact thought is why I'm back here. :oAnyway, what I 'thought' was the problem was that I had just installed the first scenery library I've ever compiled myself, in order to avoid duplicate GUID's. (Presumably ".bgl.xml" (or something like that) file format issues.)(Meanwhile duplicate GUID's, somewhat surprisingly, apparently cause no problems at all, and (provided they're in the same scenery folder) FSX simply loads the object from whichever file is second in alphabetical order, without loading the other object. (NOT 100% confirmed, but has working 3 for 3 so far without any issues.) Just for future reference for anyone coming across this.)

While that seemed to fix the problem, in that it stopped, the problem occurred again. The second time was traced to (with certainty) the nightmaps on a static scenery object I was editing at the time being in the wrong .bmp format. Soo, either both were the nightmap problem (all of my 'flights' during this time were in the process of making an FSX update of KLGA, at said airport), and it just happened to stop during that time, (or alternately, since I've been repeatedly editing said object, I happened to change it to the correct format again at that time, and didn't realize that at the time), or much less likely, it was two different unrelated problems. (The 'didn't realize what my texture changes were doing' it most likely the cause both times.)

So, for anybody who has the problem again, here what (apparently) caused it.

EDIT: I was wrong. See post below for the actual cause.

• 1 month later...

Apparently I was wrong in the above post on the cause. That might have been the trigger, but the problem soon reoccurred. So, for the sake of anybody else who may have this problem in the future, I actually figured out the the true issue. Sky textures in FSX have one odd pixel, I 'think' the second or so from the bottom along the left side, as transparent. Well, somehow, for some unknown reason, that odd pixel out on the pre-sunrise and post_sunset textures I modified got changed to a brighter color. How, gods knows why. Changing the color of the pixel (before any alpha transparency is used) to the color of the pixel next to it fixed the problem.

Also turns out it wasn't running the wrong sky textures. I had assumed the entire 'midnight' series of textures I used had no blue areas of sky in them; I was wrong, they all did. I also discovered that, esphttps://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/editpost.php?p=2024082&do=editpostecially during the summer, the midnight texture set only gets used for a short period of time, and pre-sunrise textures start as early as 2-3 AM (or something like that.)

Archived