Is Dovetail Games' Flight Sim World Any Good?

Hi,

Just heard about a new sim called Flight Sim World by Dovetail Games. Does it live up to all the hype?

How does it compare with X-Plane 11, and what systems are expected to be built to flt it?

Can you convert X-Plane/FSX/FS9 airports across to it?

Defualt scenery and terrian/airports are usually not very good - so I was wondering how this new one shapes up straight out of the box?

Let the comments begin....

:)

Only comment is that it has not been released yet, & will be an 'early access' or beta version.

No, not backward compatible, & MUST be regarded as a totally new sim, & not an upgrade to anything else. It will have Orbx terrain as standard.

Otherwise, no other info!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I have read other comments about it. Possibility of it coming with only a couple of aircraft, the rest will be bought. The same with scenery....only a small area and if you want more areas, be willing to part with $$$.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

That's sounds like another sim that went belly up.....MS Flight. I hope we are not going down that route again.

I don't want to be negative until I see it for myself though. Gotta support every attempt to further our beloved hobby !

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Guest lavochkin

I know me, I have switched to FSX twice and spent insane amount of money both times and both times I could not get it to work and twice I have went back to fs2004 and spent an insane amount of money on FS2004. So now I am gun shy to try anything new, because FS2004 works Great!. Look on steam and FSX and all the addons steam offers with a total of 3000 us dollars. I have spent way more than that on all flight sims. I would guess around 10,000 us dollars or more on FSX and FS2004.

I keep waiting for x-plane to come out of the box with out having to spend so much time adding on and setup. And if prepar3d goes 64 bit, That is going kill steam flight sims and could hurt x-plane.

But I am in no hurry to switch flight sims any time soon.

Good luck.

"Is Flight Sim World any good"?

Actual rain-drops on the windscreen! Yippee!

That's good enough for me to buy it.

I'll fly with 'rain on' all the time! ;-)

https://youtu.be/nW1RxSdoJzA?t=124

BTW. Notice that Dovetail say: "We wish to work with the community; it makes no sense to work in isolation". (Hullo NGIS, are you listening!;-)

https://youtu.be/nW1RxSdoJzA?t=11

In terms of "working with the community" they are very active in the Avsim forums, and there was a sort-of active run at FsDeveloper for a while. Have they been here? Have they been anywhere else? I read a lot of forums and frankly it seems to me that they don't really know the "community" at all.

I also get a chuckle when they state that they are reaching out to developers. If they are it is a very targeted group, and certainly does not include freeware guys that are well known to the "community". On the payware side when you see PMDG come out and say they are not going to play to DTG's rules I think that says something about the future of add-ons in that sim. A lot of discussion has been happening regarding marketing content. It's not good. What really is not good is the fact that DTG will not come forward with the rules of engagement for developers. I really feel that the freeware contribution will fall off dramatically, and I'm guessing that payware offerings will also be fewer.

P3D for me. :)

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Coming this month. It is going to be called an early access version.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389280/Flight_Sim_World/

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

What the developers have to say:

Why Early Access?

“The current flight sim space is a fountain of experience and expertise, and Early Access is our way of drawing upon that knowledge to make Flight Sim World the best it can be. We will have a better, stronger simulation platform if we collaborate with you on the future of this project.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We intend to roll out planned features over the next three to four months. This includes time to discuss and implement your valuable feedback. That being said, we're not setting any hard limits on how long we will be in this phase. When it’s ready, it’s ready!”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“During Early Access, we plan to roll out additional features, some of which will have an immediate impact on gameplay while others will provide the necessary extensions for future plans. Ultimately, our criteria for leaving the Early Access program is for Flight Sim World to be a stable platform upon which you are able to build the flight experience you want.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Flight Sim World is very much still in development. There are still more features and gameplay options which need to be implemented over the next few months which we are excited to share with you as they are made available.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The Early Access version of Flight Sim World is priced lower than the full release. This reflects the amount of content that will be added over the coming months and also makes it a good time for you to get involved in the Early Access process.

Price will change during the Early Access period, however this is largely subject to incoming features.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We want to give you the chance to be part of a hobby you are passionate about, while harnessing your knowledge and expertise to make Flight Sim World the best that it can be. We will be releasing updates and interacting with you regularly to test ideas, resolve issues, and help guide us in the right direction.”

Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus Strix GTX 960 gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD, 650 watt Corsair PSU

Coming this month. It is going to be called an early access version. This is using the UE4 game engine.

Where did you get this misinformation?

I've spoken to both Aimee and Cryss, and both have stated that FSW is an expansion of the ESP (aka FSX) engine. They have refactored the code to 64bits and have re-implemented both moving rain and snow in the VC. There are also many other improvements, and more to come as their code matures.

It also will be released with the entire world, not just some predefined section (a la "Flight"). In fact, the navaid and airport info has been updated as well.

BTW, in case it was overlooked, everyone who bought into their "Flight School" will receive FSW absolutely FREE of charge. That is a wonderful gesture on their part!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Sorry my mistake. I shall correct my post. :)
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus Strix GTX 960 gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD, 650 watt Corsair PSU

All their talk about the benefits of so-called early access seems to be sweet talking us to pay for an incomplete & untested game.

Maybe, just maybe, this game, as they call it is not actually for us? As it comes from a gaming house, & distributed via one of the largest entertainment/gaming sites?

And they will probably only give us the same GA aircraft that came with Flight School?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

All their talk about the benefits of so-called early access seems to be sweet talking us to pay for an incomplete & untested game.

Well they've been disarmingly honest about their intentions in their press release, what they are advertising is the chance to become a beta-tester and have the sim tailored to your own requirements for a discount price. Seems like a very good offer to me:

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We want to give you the chance to be part of a hobby you are passionate about, while harnessing your knowledge and expertise to make Flight Sim World the best that it can be. We will be releasing updates and interacting with you regularly to test ideas, resolve issues, and help guide us in the right direction.”

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The same with scenery....only a small area and if you want more areas, be willing to part with $$$.

The scenery thing was proven false, the whole world is available. As for aircraft, there are 7 on release and possibly more in the future. Jets are currently undecided, Dovetail don't know whether or not they'll add any.

*Insert random clickbait that some of the more senior users seem to associate with me posting*

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

In answer to the OP, we simply do not know.

Wobbling gauges and rain on windscreens are all very well, but I also want a Cessna to handle like a Cessna and a 747 like, um a 747.

DTG have a mixed reputation in the train sim genre, with their core legacy product (Railworks aka TS20xx) generally being regarded as okay(ish) provided, 1. You don't look too closely at the physics (10,000 ton freights up a 2% grade in Notch 1) and of course are prepared to fork out for DLC. Many oft reported bugs (such as high res terrain import crashing the editor) are either unfixed or ignored.

They certainly haven't aced with their latest Train Sim World product, a short route with limited operating potential, physics even more out of whack than in Railworks, a hardware hog and no real evidence of interest in fixing it up, TBH. DTG are very good when it comes to marketing, snazzy video clips with dramatic music and carefully rehearsed presentation, not so good when it comes down to the detail.

I will probably take the early access offer if the price is reasonable and approach with an open mind. However the publicity is woefully short on the details most flight simmers want to know - how big is the world, will there be RW weather implementation, how many aircraft in the default (I didn't see any heavy iron passenger jets in the video clip), some form of ATC. Lots of questions and not many answers.

Vern.

Thought that sounded like Vern. Don't take any notice of him guys. :)

Thought that sounded like Vern. Don't take any notice of him guys. :)

Would you like to run that by a moderator?

Sounds like borderline personal attack to me.

Nothing I stated is untrue and just because I don't follow DTG like a tame lapdog with my tongue hanging out smiling through rose tinted spectacles, doesn't render my view invalid. If you actually read what I posted instead of going on the offensive I actually stated I will probably buy into the early access, jets or no jets and in full knowledge I won't get a refund if it does turn out to be a dog turd. (Just as I played TSW beyond the period entitling a Steam refund). So sling your hook, mate.

Vern.

I am sure FSW, like TSW will be going through many months/years of growing pains -- If anyone thinks TSW is the finally product, they either haven't read the information available from DTG or had unrealistic expectations on what could be corrected in the short time between the Beta period of the release of the first DLC for Train Sim World which was the Sandpatch route -- Just as Xplane 9 is very different from Xplane 11 - I expect to see both TSW and FSW to go through evolutionary growths and improvements over the next couple of years -- and am willing to give them both time to mature -- I will also continue to enjoy FSX-SE and TS201X because of the maturity level that have reached after many years on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Archived