FSX Activation

barry1013

Hello everyone,

I purchased Windows FSX for PC and the "activation" request leads to dead links ( too old for support I think). I guess to get it running I need some kind of patch that will disable the request for activation.

Anybody know of a FSX patch..?

thanks

barry

• 2 months later...
I have a legitimate and long-owned copy of FSX. When I changed computers, with a simultaneous upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit I had the same experience: Microsoft would not let me re-register it. This frustration persisted until I simply gave up and went to X-Plane and P3d. Lot's of money down the drain but at least some add-ons can be transported across to P3dV3.4.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are times when resorting to hacks/patches/cracks is vindicated.

Some years ago I purchased GT Legends, which used that reprehensible Starfarce protection. On my system that worked about ten percent of the time (and once started there was no way to cancel the procedure, so when it hung I had to kill the process via Task Manager). Emailed the game developer, who passed the buck to the Starfarce people; three months of emails with them elicited absolutely no response other than "you need to install the latest Starforce drivers" ...even after informing them I had just installed the latest drivers to no effect. So, they had my money, I had a product which did not work, and they were providing no assistance to remedy the situation; at that point I considered anything I did to get that product functional was valid. I removed all the Starfarce manure from my system (via their removal tool), downloaded and installed a hacked version of the game over my "bought-and-paid-for" copy. That, highly modded, is still in use. And I feel no guilt whatsoever about resorting to hacked software in this situation.

(FWIW, a couple of years later Raceroom licensed the game and released a version with all files decrypted and Starfarce removed (as in the hacked version), plus "optimized for Vista/W7" (whatever that means). In a nice gesture they offered a free copy of this to anyone providing proof of owning the original (photo showing the box, the manual, the jewel case with registration number visible, and a piece of paper with your name and the date); so I also have this version.)

I had something one time with Starforce on, I think it was a submarine sim but not 100% sure now it was ages ago, and yes at the time a lot were complaining about it.

The comment above where someone said buy the product like the rest of us, may be he did and as someone else said it happened to them with a ligit copy.

I agree with jgf, if in this case you bought the copy and got no help from the provider then I for one would also try anything to get it working.

If it was a cheap old game then fair enough just bin it but a lot of these games/sims cost a lot of money, and for the software company to just abandon the buyer when they took your money they no longer care is bad.

I seem to remember on a forum one time someone suggested the guy asking for help had a pirate version, the OP resorted to posting a photo of himself holding up the disks, that were ligit.

...I seem to remember on a forum one time someone suggested the guy asking for help had a pirate version....

Lol, been there also. Bought System Shock II at a computer fair (remember those?), it looked valid, installed and played fine, but couldn't be patched to the latest version (turned out it was a leaked internal version already containing parts of the patch). So I bought a copy of the latest version.

As far as I am concerned, FSX is AbandonedWare. Do what ever is necessary.....Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I've had a Windows disk installed on a PC and after many years the PC died, so I got another, went to install the Windows, I went to activate it and got refused, I phoned up MS and told the guy what had happened and I had the disk in front of me and what did he want to know etc.

He refused to activate saying I may have a pirate copy, I assured him it was legal and had it in front of me, is there any numbers or codes he needs I will read them off, he still refused.

I ended up going through the back door so to speak and got it working.

As far as I am concerned, FSX is AbandonedWare. Do what ever is necessary.....Doug

I agree, but it is certainly controversial.

There is a popular FS utility that can still be downloaded from most FS sites, even a few generic game sites, but you can no longer register it because its website has been gone for years; yet I've been accused of promoting "piracy" for sending my registration code to people.

I view piracy as theft - depriving someone of something. In the case of this software, or FSX, no one is making money from it any more, no one is being denied credit for their work, so of what are they being deprived?

I agree, but it is certainly controversial.

There is a popular FS utility that can still be downloaded from most FS sites, even a few generic game sites, but you can no longer register it because its website has been gone for years; yet I've been accused of promoting "piracy" for sending my registration code to people.

I view piracy as theft - depriving someone of something. In the case of this software, or FSX, no one is making money from it any more, no one is being denied credit for their work, so of what are they being deprived?

FSX is still being sold through Steam though. And at the end of the day it's up to the copyright holder as to what happens with a software application. This one big reason many support open source software.

FSX is still being sold through Steam though. ....

That would be an entirely different situation of course. Though I hear the Steam version is different from the "old" disk version.

That would be an entirely different situation of course. Though I hear the Steam version is different from the "old" disk version.

The Steam version has some minor fixes and uses the Steam multiplayer service instead of the defunct Gamespy, but is still basically the same application.

Archived