flightdeck2sim - Airline Pilot Tutorials for Virtual Pilots

Hi everyone, I'm new to your forum!

Some of you might be aware of my website as I've had a few messages from people who're part of the flight sim community.

I'm a Type Rating Instructor and Senior First Officer for quite a large European 737 Operator. I have just over 4000 hours on the 737 (the real one).

About two months ago I created a channel "flightdeck2sim" on YouTube where I use the PMDG NGX to replicate real world procedures based on how I fly the 737 using my operators procedures. I've used the product for a number of years to practice profiles and procedures I instruct during type ratings and recurrent training at work.

Whilst I am very busy I do find the time to make tutorial videos for this channel, if anyone is interested you can find my channel here.

http://www.youtube.com/flightdeck2sim

I'm just returning to the community something I wish I had when I was growing up with flight simulator. It already includes a full flight tutorial and some Approach Tutorials.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not here to merely advertise either, I'm quite active on AVSIM and help a number of people with any questions they might have which I'm also more than happy to do here. If you have any question regarding commercial operations and operating the 737-800 feel free to send me a message here or on my Facebook Page.

http://www.facebook.com/flightdeck2sim

Kind Regards and Fly Safe!

NB - I am in no position to share/copy company material. All guidance is purely to enhance your home flight simulator experience. Any comments/view expressed do not represent the views of my company and I wish to remain anonymous at all times.

flightdeck2sim

Hi Gipper,

Thanks for the message on my FB page. Will answer your query there.

Kind regards,

Personally I believe you'll do a lot more to establish your creds if you post some answers and info here. There are a lot of cons going on in this world. So I and others I've spoken with don't just jump onto everyone's Facebook.

Give us an idea of what you're trying to publicize. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Michael, thanks for the response!

As I was saying to Gipper via my page working out the TAS requires a little bit more information such as your IAS. Also it's been 7 years since I took my ATPL ground school exams and a lot of the rules of thumb/formula I can't remember!

I completely agree with you there many fake/con account and individuals out there but I can assure you all I'm trying to publicise here is my willingness to benefit simulator enthusiasts who want to learn more about the 737-800/commercial aviation

I use to use flight simulator an awful lot in my youth and I'm now a Type Rating Instructor and Senior First Officer for a well established European airline. Flying solo aged 16, I completed my PPL aged 18 whilst finishing my A-Levels. I spent one year travelling and hour building before attending Oxford Aviation Academy completing their intensive Integrated course, obtaining a Frozen ATPL in the process.

I've now been a full-time Type Rating Instructor working at my airlines training HQ and flying the 737 -800 and have almost 4000 hours on type. With that job I instruct type ratings, direct entry pilots and conduct recurrent training for line crew

I still use the PMDG NGX for my six monthly recurrent training and annual LPC, it's a fantastic training tool and an overall good representation of the real aircraft. I'm more than happy to answer any questions regarding the 737-800 and commercial operations, this allows me to look into the most up to date manuals and current documentation to both increase my knowledge and yours.

I'm quite sure you're familiar with AVSIM? I've been using that forum for a number of years and I'm a very active user. I provide guidance to anyone who uses the excellent PMDG NGX.

You can find my profile here!

http://www.avsim.com/profile/232809-flightdeck2sim/

Whilst I'm fully aware you have your doubts as I've only just signed up for this forum I'm simply here to help people and if you're not interested that's absolutely fine!

flightdeck2sim

Can you tell me what the real TAS of a B737-800 is at FL340 and 51º C?

Perhaps I need to ask the question in a different way. So, If I am flying a B737-800 at FL340 and see that I have a Tail Wind of 106kts, what can I expect my Ground Speed to be?

Hi Gipper,

Again I need much more information. To work out your groundspeed in this sort of aircraft you need to know at least your TAS which goes back to your original query. TAS +/- Wind Speed = your groundspeed.

You won't find any information about calculating TAS-G/S using a rule of thumb or table for the 737. The cruise speed on the 737-800 is based on multiple factors such as your gross weight, cruise altitude, wind component and your Cost Index (eg 0 will give you your maximum range cruise speed)

Kind Regards,

flightdeck2sim

Archived