Question for a real world Center Controller

Guest lavochkin

Guest lavochkin

Why would a Center controller ask a aircraft with a VFR flight plan and Squawking VFR to contact him. No traffic around and no weather issues and no flight following? Flying at 13500 ft. Is there another reason I am not aware of?

This happened to me in an online flight simulation network. I would like to know if this happens in the real world. And if so what are the reasons?

Thank-you for your time.

What country were you flying in? Were there any large airports nearby? In Canada Class B airspace requires that you must have clearance and be in contact with ATC above 12,500' ASL. Some control area extensions around airports are Class B airspace.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp15048-menu-5859.htm

http://www3.telus.net/cschwab/viewer/canadian_airspace.html

Not sure if other countries have similar airspace structure and requirements.

Basically, Loki has the main reason I can think of, in that you're in airspace that requires you to talk to someone (or airspace with restrictions).

If they called you by your call sign, then it's not likely the real world ATC would know who you are, since (at least in the U.S.) the VFR flight plan is only known by the Flight Service Station (FSS) that you opened the plan with and the one at your destination, if you didn't close the plan on time. Of course the sim is built differently.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Guest lavochkin

Thank-you Inuss. The Air traffic controllers on VATSIM has become little dictators and the pilot are always wrong. I am tired of this and have quit flying online.

I would not recommend VATSIM to anyone. Look for other networks to fly on.

Thanks again. Inuss and Loki.

Archived