FSX Steam stutterin or tearing

kiri

Hi: whenever I go from one side to another, in any airport, Im having 30/29 fps (Im havon FPS locked at 30) But suddenly fps drops to 5/7/9 and there Im having an image freezing of much less than a secong. Some times more than one freezing. Is there an specific place/file you think I should change to avoid these frezings?

(Al my FSX controls are at medium or less)

Many thanks.

kiri

i5 4590 - 16m memory - Geforce 960 - HD SSD Kingston 240GB

Hi

Is this a new problem? Have you anything running in the background which may be cutting in and consuming cpu time?

Have you installed anything prior to the problem starting i. e new aircraft or other software?

There can be a few causes so you need to eliminate the possible causes one by one.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I agree with Stinger. Can you be more specific ?

Is it with Steam default aircraft and scenery ? Do you have other task running in background (anti-virus or else) ?

Hard to say if it's a graphic or CPU resources problem for now...

Dan

i7 4790k/16g - nVidia 970 OC - Win7 Ultimate 64 on Samsung SSD 240 - FSX + Accel on Samsung SSD 120 - TrackIR on Asus VK278Q - GMap on Samsung tab - Saitek yoke/rudder and panels - Carenado GA planes - ORBX textures

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Hi guys: ok, the lasts things I have done are.

1: Deleted the FSX CFG because I have mess so much with chages and addons that I suposed was a good idea to start from 0. Then opened FSX and let it build a new CFG.

2: Add Kostas main tweaks to new CFG.

3: Buy and add the Duke B60 V2.

I believe There is nothing running in the backround. I have no antivirus.

I have same problem with diferent planes.

Thanks for any help,

kiri

Hi Kiri,

Its not just AV suites that run in the background. Lots of other programs do, including many functions that the OS will do or attempt to do. That said, for the best part leave the OS processes alone as you may 'break' something and have far worse problems.

Things to look are those programs that you should be able to control. These will also depend on whether you have an active internet connection (IC) or not (NIC) when running the sim...........

Within the OS - Windows Defender - This program is an inbuilt AV suite which runs constantly in the background and will be doing scans. it will do updates (IC) or attempts to update (NIC) as well. Defender can be temporarily disabled from within its setting page - google for info on how to do this. Note that disabling Defender whilst connected to the internet will leave you vulnerable to threats.

The OS will also be sending (IC) or attempting to send (NIC) data back to MS. This will be dependant on what Privacy setting you have enabled but will include such data as event reports, usage info, OS update status, etc. Some of this can be reduced by making changes to the privacy settings and other settings.

Printer software - Most modern printer software will periodically call 'home' to check for updates. Some will also call' home' to report usage data. Again, these may be controlled via the printer settings. Another thing to consider regarding printers, which is dependent on its connection type, is that if it connects via wifi and the printer is switched off the OS/printer spooler software will make repeated attempts to connect to the switched off printer.

Lastly, regarding running FSX - although you have the steam version, you do not need to be constantly connected to the internet/steam to run it. If you run the game connected to the internet, the steam client will periodically check for updates and will pass usage info back to the servers. Most steam based products which have a single player mode (i.e. any game that is not solely dedicated to MMO) can be played offline.

Once you have installed the product and have completed the activation process you can set the product to start in off-line mode - google or check the steam website for how to do this. By setting the game to start in off-line mode when you click on the desktop shortcut you will be presented with a info window stating that the game is set to start in off-line mode and will be offered the choice of going online or staying in off-line mode. Updates to the game and the steam client will still be downloaded at the start of session, but usage data and other updates will not happen during the gaming session. The only downside to this is that any achievements awards that are awarded will not automatically show in the rewards page until you do a 'physical' on-line connection to the server.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian and all: very usefull all your advice. You know...I have noticed that the teperature of my CPU was 90 or 100 Centigrades. I believe too high. Then Iv noticed that a lateral sector of the cabinet where air comes in (or out) was very dirty. I have clean that sector and believe ir not things have change regarding tearings or stutters. The normal temperature with no program working is now 45 C and inmediately after using FSX is 81 C.(is this normal ?)

Thanks. Im praying I have found the solution.

Regards, kiri.

Hi Kiri,

81C is probably still a bit high but should be manageable. I have two laptop rigs (an i5 and an i7) - the i5 often runs at around 70 in FSX but the i7 never gets above 55.

Most CPUs/MoBos these days have an inbuilt thermal cutout that will trigger if it gets to hot - the figure that this happens is known as the Tj Max and will depend on the CPU parameters itself. On my 2 rigs the i5's Tj max is 105 and the i7 is 107. Basically, if the Tj reaches or exceeds the given parameter it will cause the rig to power off. Check that all of the fans are working correctly and ensure that the rig has good airflow around it.

I assume that you have a desktop or tower (based on your use of the word 'cabinet') - you should be able to remove the cover and do a general clean within the case itself. Ensure taht the rig is powered off. Take care to only blow any stuff off circuit boards (avoid actual contact with the printed circuits, fixed diodes/capacitors etc - use of an air can is highly recommended here). For the case itself you should be able to use a cloth. You may even be able to fit addition cooling in the form of additional fans - this will depend on whether the case has spare locations designed for them and whether the Power Supply Unit (PSU) has the spare capacity and cables to run them.

If you have a laptop, you may still be able to remove the case but it is a bit more difficult. Again, as with a desktop/tower, ensure good all round ventilation and consider getting a laptop cooler stand to aid heat dispersion. Even slightly raising a laptop, by using a small piece of wood to prop up the back end (or even better two pieces to rest the laptop level) will improve the air circulation.

Regards

Brian

that's still WAY too high.

Is the cooling on that cpu working?

Check to see if the fan spins when the computer runs.

alo, switch the computer off, take out the power cable from the back, and press the "On" button on the front once or twice to drain any remaining current.

Then take a close look at the cooling block on the cpu. The large metal thing. Is there a lot of dust in it? if so, hold the fan so it doesn't spin and blow out the dust.

You can buy a can of compressed air for that, or just blow yourself (try not to inhale the dust!)

If the fan doesn't spin, or doesn't spin all the time, it will need to be replacd.

You want to see temperatures below 70 at least with that cpu. With that model you would not expect anything higher.

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner to clean inside!!

They cause a static discharge that damages computer parts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks you all for the usefull advice. I bought a "duster removal spray" that contains "propano butano" gas. Is it the same as compressed air can ? The can says it doesnt leave any remainings.

Thanks.

kiri

Don't spray it near an open flame!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Most canned "air" these days is butane or some variant there-of. It lets them put a lot more low pressure blow-time into a can, without the need for a high-pressure can or a regulator. That's why, if you invert the can while using it, you get a liquid out, extremely cold, like frosty, which then evaporates leaving no residue. If it were to be actual "air", mostly Nitrogen, a bit of other stuff, they would need to really pack it in under extreme pressure, and have a regulator on the out put to keep it from blowing the CPU out of the mobo, to get anywhere near the amount of blow-time there is in the butane based canned air. Talk about pricey!

They also say not to shake the can while using it, or to warm it back up. After you use it for a bit, the gaseous butane inside is depleted, and you need to wait while it evaporates more off before you get any more blow out of it. I've found the trick is to have two cans, so if you deplete one, you can use the second, while the first "regenerates", and then vice versa again.

Blow away, oh dust!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived