Using a partition on HDD for FSX

benibaz

Hello again,I have been in touch with supplier of the new computer which will be arriving this week,I asked if it was possible he could replace the 1 x 2TB HDD for 2 x 1 HDD,he said this was not possible, he suggests I make a partition on the 2 TB to install the FSX Gold + acceleration on one of the partitions.Would this be ok? thanks.benibaz.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

I made that suggestion in your previous thread, but got the answer that the performance might suffer, because Windows and FSX will still have to share the same drive and therefore not be able to access it at the same time at full speed.

Nevertheless in my opinion a partition will do nicely, especially when your drive has higher read speeds, because there are several other factors that influence the access time like the processor cache and so there won't be much difference in performance between one partitioned and two seperate HDDs.

Maybe you could aks for an additional SSD to be build in or do it yourself(these aren't that expensive nowadays) that would definitely help your performance.

Cheers!

Hi Barry,

Have been following the other thread since I made my comments on it - didn't respond to you reply as others beat me to it and said what I would have suggested.........

Like Sailor512, I believe that using a partition is OK - the performance hit is likely to be minimum.

WRT the response from the supplier - is this because of an limitation in the number of drive bays/connectors or simply because he doesn't have 1Tb drives available?

The first option is extremely unlikely as modern desktop/towers will normally have space for them and the motherboard will have a multiple number of the various HDD connector types.

As suggested by Sailor - see if he has any smaller drives (either HDD or SSD) for example a 256Gb or 500Gb sized one and have him install that as the Primary drive loaded with the OS. Use this drive to also install other apps such as Antivirus, Office etc. The 2Tb drive will then become the secondary drive which you can leave as a single drive or partition it so that FSX is in it own partition and any other stuff you might install, such as other games, can go in the other partition(s).

Regards

Brian

Is this a second hand desktop? Give a link to the ad.

If second hand the seller probably wont offer many extra options. But if there is space in the case for a drive it's going to be very easy to add an extra drive.

-You can just add an extra drive and format that from the windows disk management menu. No change to Windows needed for that.

-Other option is to add a drive as C drive and reinstall windows on that. For that the computer must come with a Windows install disk. Is that included?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally I would 'hem-n-haw' them and tell then you will 'think about it' (buying). Watch how quick they will 'offer' what you need (not what they want to 'give' you). And if they offer Windows 10 and you want Win 7 then let them know. It's your decision (and YOUR MONEY!!). And check what power supply they are putting in it. A 300 Watt won't do (and they will act like 'it's enough...' but it AIN'T!!). A 500 watt would be minimum. A 600 watt would be better (for you - yet same price- ha!). And make SURE the HDrive are 7200 rpm. The 'business' PC's will have 5400 rpm and are useless (for FSX). Don't be so 'easy'. Stick to your guns!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I know, he mentioned most parts. But he did not mention if it was a second hand. He also did not mention if Windows install disk is included.

Als no mention of the case. (Or the specific model of the pc if it was a prebuilt one day.)

Important. For options of reinstalling Windows, for if extra options are possible, and for if there is room for a second HDD or SSD.

(At least, my limited Spanish can't make it out...)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this a second hand desktop? Give a link to the ad.

If second hand the seller probably wont offer many extra options. But if there is space in the case for a drive it's going to be very easy to add an extra drive.

-You can just add an extra drive and format that from the windows disk management menu. No change to Windows needed for that.

-Other option is to add a drive as C drive and reinstall windows on that. For that the computer must come with a Windows install disk. Is that included?

Hello il88pp, I bought the computer through eBay.es from lumartp and already paid for,it´s too late now to change anything. should arrive Thurs 17th(Nov).It was advertised as new.These are the full specs :

CARACTERÍSTICAS DETALLADAS DEL EQUIPO POR COMPONENTE

PLACA BASE MSI H61M-P31/W8

Supports 4th Gen Intel® Core™ / Pentium® / Celeron® processors for LGA 1150 socket

Supports DDR3-1600 Memory

USB 3.0 + SATA 6Gb/s

Military Class 4: Top Quality & Stability

Military Class Essentials: Total Protection for Military Class Motherboards

OC Genie 4: Overclock in 1 Second

Click BIOS 4: Easily Fine-tune Your System

4K UHD Support: Ultra-high Definition Visual Experience

Command Center: Control & Customize Your PC Settings

Fast Boot: Quickly Boot Up & Enter OS in A Few Seconds

M-Flash: Simply Update & Backup Your BIOS

Live Update 5: Easily Update The Latest BIOS & Drivers

Información fabricante:

https://es.msi.com/Motherboard/H61M-P31W8.html#hero-overview

PROCESADOR INTEL CORE I7 3770, 4 NÚCLEOS, 8Mb Caché

intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor

(8M Cache, 4 x 3.4 GHz Up to 3,9GHz)

Hasta 15,60GHz a máximo rendimiento

Especificaciones

-

Puntos fundamentales

Estado Launched

Fecha de lanzamiento Q2'14

Número de procesador i7-3770

Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB

DMI2 5 GT/s

Nº de enlaces QPI 0

Conjunto de instrucciones 64-bit

Extensiones del conjunto de instrucciones SSE4.1/4.2, AVX 2.0

Opciones de integrados disponibles

No

Litografía

22 nm

Más información fabricante: http://ark.intel.com/es-es/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

MEMORIA RAM 16GB DDR3 - 1600 Mhz

AA

Nueva memoria DDR3 a 1600Mhz. Mejor tecnología, más rápida, mejor proceso

Primeras marcas mundiales en memoria RAM, según stock

1 MÓDULOS DE 8GB

DISCO 3TB HDD SATA3 7200RPM

Interfaz SATA3 6Gb/s y NCQ

Velocidad de giro 7200 rpm

Buffer de la Caché 32 Mb

Rendimiento rápido y Fiabilidad exquisita

Modelo Hitachi con Nivel sonoro alto

Excepcional fiabilidad y robustez

CAJA PC ATX SEMI TORRE ALTA GAMA (DISEÑO Y MÁXIMA CALIDAD)

Fuente 500 W. CE con conector de 20+4 pines y SATA, silenciosa, ventilador 12cm

· 2 bahías abatibles de 5.25"

· 1 bahía de 3.5"

· 3 bahías de 3.5" internas.

· 2 USB en frontal.

· Entrada y salida de audio y video en frontal

· Sistema de ventilación lateral por AIR DUCT.

· Dimensiones: 400 x 380 x 180 mm. (Profundidad x Altura x Ancho)

NOTA INFORMATIVA

Ordenadores totalmente nuevos a estrenar, con 2 años de garantía en todos sus componentes sin cargo adicional, 100% probados y testados en nuestros bancos de pruebas. 100% satisfacción o reembolsamos dinero. Ver condiciones de compra más abajo.

Instalamos cualquier software gratuito que nos solicite.

El equipo lleva un S.O. Windows 7 instalado que nos sirve para testar y comprobar todos sus componetes. Versión de prueba, funcional y sin CD.

Precio Final CPU: 599€ IVA INCLUIDO

¡¡ Aseguramos el mejor precio !! Este equipo con estas prestaciones, más barato es imposible

Envío gratuito sólo en Península. Resto consultar.

2 años de garantía con factura

I asked for Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 to be installed but I think they have installed a trial version,that does´nt matter as I have the full version comming already paid for.As you can see, it has a 2year warranty.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

=I'll assume new.

(and expect prebuilt, didn't see brand mentioned. (HP, Dell, Fujitsu, etc, etc.) Doesn't matter.

=room for total three HDD's

El equipo lleva un S.O. Windows 7 instalado que nos sirve para testar y comprobar todos sus componetes. Versión de prueba, funcional y sin CD.

in English:

The team has an S.O. Windows 7 installed that serves us to test and to check all its components. Trial version, functional and without CD.

=I don't know what they mean by Trial version.....!!

But there's no Windows CD included.

--

-Has room for three Internal Harddisks.

-You have an install CD of Windows coming.

----> ----> You can easily install a SSD drive, and then install WIndows on that. You can then install fsx on the SSD as well. On an SSD Windows and FSX can be installed on the same drive. You will get the same performance as separate drives.

Other option if you don't want to get an SSD:

----> -----> you can install an extra HDD. That way you install Windows on one HDD, and FSX on the other HDD.

With the "Trial Version" it sounds like you will need that Install CD you bought.

But the Trial version may refer to something else. I don't know. They may be talking about other software. Maybe a trial version of a virusscanner, or of Microsoft Office.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you decide to stick with one hard disc and partition it, some piece of advice:

I'm not sure how well Windows can handle partitioning the drive, which it is installed on, so it might be a good idea to use a BIOS based solution.

Parted Magic, something on the Ultimate Boot CD or maybe Clonezilla are reliable freeware options.

But be carefull, this isn't completly straightforward and you can do severe damage to your system if you don't know what you're doing! So if you don't have any experience with this kind of stuff, maybe get help from someone who has.

Cheers!

OP has Win 7 so the 'trial OS' is mute point. It was manuf 2014 so it's probably 'refurbished' which is 'ok'. Has 2 year warranty on all parts. Has 7200 rpm 3 Tb which is good. Price is $599 Euros which is a good deal for the CPU he is getting. You take a chance if you buy from EBay, but I would buy it. All OP would need (to get what he wants) is a 1 Tb (Western Digital Black SATA 7200 rpm) hard drive for Windows ($69 at Amazon).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

=I'll assume new.

(and expect prebuilt, didn't see brand mentioned. (HP, Dell, Fujitsu, etc, etc.) Doesn't matter.

=room for total three HDD's

in English:

The team has an S.O. Windows 7 installed that serves us to test and to check all its components. Trial version, functional and without CD.

=I don't know what they mean by Trial version.....!!

But there's no Windows CD included.

--

-Has room for three Internal Harddisks.

-You have an install CD of Windows coming.

----> ----> You can easily install a SSD drive, and then install WIndows on that. You can then install fsx on the SSD as well. On an SSD Windows and FSX can be installed on the same drive. You will get the same performance as separate drives.

Other option if you don't want to get an SSD:

----> -----> you can install an extra HDD. That way you install Windows on one HDD, and FSX on the other HDD.

With the "Trial Version" it sounds like you will need that Install CD you bought.

But the Trial version may refer to something else. I don't know. They may be talking about other software. Maybe a trial version of a virusscanner, or of Microsoft Office.

It is Windows 7 only for testing the components within the computer.

This is the OS I have comming:

FECHA DEL PEDIDO

10 nov 2016

TOTAL DEL PEDIDO

17,38 EUR

+ 6,96 EUR

envío

Pedido: Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT SP1 OEM Full Version DVD +Key

1 artículo vendido por kemoonnet15

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT SP1 OEM Full Version DVD +Key

( 252589780838 )

Fecha prevista de entrega mié, nov 23 - mar, nov 29

Número de seguimiento

UPAAA000000194899508

Añadir nota

PRECIO DEL ARTÍCULO:

17,38 EUR

Sealed un-opened Dell product but can be used to install on any computer that supports x64bit,with the cd they send a u/s Dell computer as part of the deal.Barry.

more information:

Genuine Microsoft Dell Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT SP1 Full Version DVD + COA

This is a FRESH install version & NOT an upgrade version, this is Dell branded DVD

The software DVD is Brand New Sealed and has never been installed on any computer.

Software is supplied with a genuine product key which will only activate One Desktop/Notebook, not a multi licence key single.

The software will install on any Desktop or Notebook which is capable of running 64bit SP-1 version. (Please check minimum system requirement below).

Once installed & activated you will be able to receive full Microsoft support & updates.

This is a FRESH install version & NOT an upgrade version.

All Microsoft operating systems must be installed from your computer Bois Setting.

Important insure before install New operating system to back up your data and programs as they will be lost once new operating system installed.

Microsoft Do not include Computers Drivers this is third party Drivers buyer must insure to have own drivers for their own computers by going to their computer manufacture site or if computer unbranded a universal drivers can be found online.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

1 GHz processor or faster

1 GB RAM for 32-bit; 2 GB for 64-bit

Up to 20 GB available hard disk space

800 x 600 screen resolution or higher

DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver

Internet access (fees may apply)

Microsoft account required for some features

Watching DVDs requires separate playback software

eBay Policy : OEM, bundled, or recovery software may be listed only if it is included along with the original hardware, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or computer sold with the OEM software. For OEM software, your software will be bundled with a non-working PC Motherboard. This item is also not intended for use by general consumers.

Microsoft Policy States: "Large brand-name computer manufacturers, such as Dell and Compaq, often include OEM software on non-holographic “recovery” or “re-installation” discs that show the manufacturer’s brand name. These software packages are typically marked with a phrase that states, for instance, “For Distribution with a new Dell PC only.” Recovery or re-installation software is licensed only for distribution with new computers and can be redistributed only with the computer for which it was initially distributed. Distributing such software with individual PC hardware components (e.g. hard drive; RAM) does not comply with Microsoft’s OEM distribution requirements." In compliance with the above, we confirm that you will receive an original Microsoft Disc, and that the decommissioned PC is also included in this sale, however the Dell PC models vary and all are beyond economic repair. This item is intended for use by OEM (original equipment manufacturers) and system builders.

I hope I´ve bought the right CD! Barry.

In conclusion to what has been advised by all of you who have helped me,I want to thank you all and have decided to opt for this :

when I receive the computer,I will buy and install a secondary drive(SSD), and install the FSX Gold + acceleration on the main 2TB HDDdrive whilst the OS will be put on the the SSD .Is that a good combination? Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

..........when I receive the computer,I will buy and install a secondary drive(SSD), and install the FSX Gold + acceleration on the main 2TB HDDdrive whilst the OS will be put on the the SSD .Is that a good combination? Barry.

People will have differing views on this - here is mine..........

But first and foremost, it is essential to fully test the PC when it arrives to make sure that it is working - this is before adding any new hardware - ideally you should do this for a week or so.

WRT the OS - depending on what is meant by 'trial' you may not need to actually install using the CD you got - you may only need to use the activation key. In my experience, 'trial' versions of software are normally a full version with either a limited time duration or limited functionality (ie unable to save changes etc).

WRT to adding a new drive - Depending on the size you could -

Less than 256Gb - I would go with the solution I posted in the final para of my earlier post (at #3) - ie use it for the OS and non FSX stuff like an AV suite, Office etc.

Between 256Gb and 512Gb - Be aware that an FSX install can easily out grow a drive very quickly once you start adding stuff. With that in mind, with a drive of this size I would put the OS and a default install of FSX on it (no need to partition) and install as many addon items as you can on the 2TB drive. FTR many addons, both payware/freeware scenery and aircraft can be successfully installed outside of the FSX but you will need to do some ground work first (setting up the inital folders etc) and, in the case of Aircraft and other Simobjects, make changes within the fsx.cfg file so that FSX can find them. Note however, that most payware items will still install some data within the FSX folder system by default so the size of the FSX folder will still grow - but at a much slower and manageable rate.

Over 512Gb - I would be tempted to install it as a second drive and use it solely for FSX. However, you may still want to use part of the 2TB drive for any larger pieces of the FSX addons that you might use - such as Terrain and/or Ground Texture meshes as these tend to be quite large in size.

WRT to SSD use - OS vs FSX - Based on my experience placing the OS on the SSD will offer better overall computer performance - it will substantially increase the boot speed over a HDD. However, solely using the SSD for FSX will have no significant affect on the overall performance of the FSX other than marginally faster loading times.

Regards

Brian

People will have differing views on this - here is mine..........

But first and foremost, it is essential to fully test the PC when it arrives to make sure that it is working - this is before adding any new hardware - ideally you should do this for a week or so.

WRT the OS - depending on what is meant by 'trial' you may not need to actually install using the CD you got - you may only need to use the activation key. In my experience, 'trial' versions of software are normally a full version with either a limited time duration or limited functionality (ie unable to save changes etc).

WRT to adding a new drive - Depending on the size you could -

Less than 256Gb - I would go with the solution I posted in the final para of my earlier post (at #3) - ie use it for the OS and non FSX stuff like an AV suite, Office etc.

Between 256Gb and 512Gb - Be aware that an FSX install can easily out grow a drive very quickly once you start adding stuff. With that in mind, with a drive of this size I would put the OS and a default install of FSX on it (no need to partition) and install as many addon items as you can on the 2TB drive. FTR many addons, both payware/freeware scenery and aircraft can be successfully installed outside of the FSX but you will need to do some ground work first (setting up the inital folders etc) and, in the case of Aircraft and other Simobjects, make changes within the fsx.cfg file so that FSX can find them. Note however, that most payware items will still install some data within the FSX folder system by default so the size of the FSX folder will still grow - but at a much slower and manageable rate.

Over 512Gb - I would be tempted to install it as a second drive and use it solely for FSX. However, you may still want to use part of the 2TB drive for any larger pieces of the FSX addons that you might use - such as Terrain and/or Ground Texture meshes as these tend to be quite large in size.

WRT to SSD use - OS vs FSX - Based on my experience placing the OS on the SSD will offer better overall computer performance - it will substantially increase the boot speed over a HDD. However, solely using the SSD for FSX will have no significant affect on the overall performance of the FSX other than marginally faster loading times.

Hello Brian,the computer came today,there was no CD for the OS,but there were 2 cd´s one for the motherboard and one for the grafics card,the OS was already pre-installed and was Windows 7 Ultimate,there is a problem in that when I came to install the drivers for the graphics card it gave an error saying there was no hardware detected on this version of windows yet the card was installed in the computer,I might have to wait for the full Win7 Pro x64 when it arrives.I also noticed there is an activation key with a time limit of 28 days,but I´m not so sure it´s an upgrade to Pro with SP1,so I will in the end put both the OS and FSX on the SSD and all other items on the HDD.Now I have decided what I am going to do,what SSD would you recomend.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Hi Barry,

WRT the GPU and its drivers - First, I would have thought the seller would have already installed the drivers. It is also worth noting that the drivers included on the CD are probably out of date so its best to get them from the manufactures’ own website.

However you need to check that the card is being recognised by the system first using Device Manger so do the following:

1. Right click on the computer icon and select Properties.

2. The new page displayed gives you details of the OS, amount of RAM, CPU speed etc. Click on the Device Manger link located at the top left of the page. This will open the device manger page. On most systems, if an error is found, it will automatically open with the problem area displayed - problems are usually shown by a yellow warning symbol.

3. If it doesn't expand any areas expand the Display Adaptor entry by left clicking on the little arrow located to the left of the entry. This will then display what GPUs are detected on the system. Obviously, you should see at least one for your chosen card but you may see two entries if the motherboard has an integrated GPU fitted.

If your card details are displayed - Right click and select Properties. The new window will show details of the card. On the General tab is a small box the will display detials of any errors if any are present. The Driver tab gives you options to check the current deiver version (useful to check against the website) and an option to udpate the driver. You can try this method to update the dirver if needs be - when you click it you will be offered choices regarding the location to search for the drivers, use the Let windows.......option (usually the top entry).

If your card details are not displayed - There could be a number of reasons for this ranging from simply the OS/Card not seeing the drivers, a confilict between the GPU and other installed items, the card not being seated correctly or not connected to a power source. Finally, worst case scenario, the card is U/S.

The first reason may be resolved by simply re-installing the current or latest driver. Another solution would be to force the system to check for any hardwre changes - on the Device manger lisitng/viewing window, directly under the File Menu list is a row of buttons - click on the Scan For Hardware Changes button (it usually looks like a blue coloured compuer icon - however hovering your mouse over the icons will show an info message). This will scan for changes and may well recognise the card.

The second reason wil need to be investgated but you will likely have a pointer to this being the problem via the error report mentioned earlier.

The third reason will need a check within the case to see if the card is seated/connected properly. However, as the rig is under warrenty you will need to contact the seller first and discuss the problem and a way forward to resolve the issue. This will obviously also apply if the card is U/S.

WRT choice of SSD - As with anything the choice of a particualar brand is very subjective. Making a choice based on reviews is the best policy. That said, IMHO there are some brands out there that, whilst having a good reputation for speed/reliability etc, are overpriced simply because of their brand name and/or their target market - think here about 'hardcore' gaming brands. So, with that in mind, the process I use when chosing is a mix of price vs specificaitons vs reliability vs user reviews.

The price will be influenced by how much you can afford against the size of drive and specs that you want. For example, you can pay say 100 euros for a high spec 256Gb drive from a big name with a good reputation for reliability or you could get a lower spec 480 or 512Gb drive from a lesser but still well known name with the same level of reputation/reliability for 120 euros. BTW, when I mention spec here I am refereing mainly to read/write speeds and data throughput speeds.

Prior to making your final choice go the chosen brands website and see if they have a utility tool that can be used to scan your rig to check Motherboard connector types/speeds etc and then produce a list of compatible drives. This is important because the capabilities of the motherboard are relevant. The website should also give info regarding pricing etc. A final thing to consider is how you are going to mount the drive in the PC - does the case have a SSD sized bay already avaialble or will you need to mount it in a normal HDD bay using a mounting kit, either specific to the chosen drive or a generic kit.

FTR I currently have 2 rigs, both of which have SSDs installed - rig 1 has 1 x 512Gb (a M4 model brought in Nov 2013) and 1 x 480Gb (M550 model brought Jul 2014) and rig 2 has a 1Tb (MX200 model brought Mar 2016). All 3 are by Crucial and, whilst not the best spec'd, do have a very good reputation for speed and reliability when compared to similair priced brands and even some of the more expensive brands.

Regards

Brian

Wrong! You put the OS on the SSD (C:) and FSX on the HDD (D:). Why? Because after FSX loads it will access files / load / write files to / from (C:) drive and doing so from a SSD will be a lot faster than doing so from a HDD. Due to how FSX writes / saves files you WILL need to DEFRAG the drive FSX is installed on (when you finish FSX install and before you add anything else) for best operation. You don't DEFRAG a SSD. Want to save yourself a BIG headache (that can last for months or years?) when dealing with a 'suspect' rig bought on EBay? Take it, and Win 7 when you get it, to a computer repair shop. Pay the $80 for diagnostic (PSU, BIOS, drivers, etc), advice, and 'service' and spare yourself a lot of grief.

Chuck B

Napamule

@ Chuck.....

Why is it 'wrong'?

And why the perceived need to constantly defrag FSX?

If installed to a HDD - Yes - FSX will need to be defragged every now and then. But this actually applies to the whole disk and the OS and other programs benefit from it.

If installed to a SSD - No - The way in which SSDs work actually mean that they tend to install data in defragmented state.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no reason IMO to defrag FSX on a regular basis. I have FSX installed on two rigs - one install is on a SSD and the other is on a HDD. The rig with the HDD does suffer degraded performance over time, That said, the degradation happens over a long period before it actually gets noticeable and much of the degradation is actually a result of the OS files being defragmented and not the FSX ones. The SSD, as you pointed out, does not need to be defraged - in fact doing so will impact on its life expectancy and overall performance. The SSD in question is the M4 I mentioned in post #16, so is 3 y/o and I have never had any issues with FSX, which is stored on it and was a fresh install.

Regards

Brian

Wrong! You put the OS on the SSD (C:) and FSX on the HDD (D:). Why? Because after FSX loads it will access files / load / write files to / from (C:) drive and doing so from a SSD will be a lot faster than doing so from a HDD. Due to how FSX writes / saves files you WILL need to DEFRAG the drive FSX is installed on (when you finish FSX install and before you add anything else) for best operation. You don't DEFRAG a SSD. Want to save yourself a BIG headache (that can last for months or years?) when dealing with a 'suspect' rig bought on EBay? Take it, and Win 7 when you get it, to a computer repair shop. Pay the $80 for diagnostic (PSU, BIOS, drivers, etc), advice, and 'service' and spare yourself a lot of grief.

Chuck B

Napamule

The need to defrag is due to how data is stored on hard drives, especially older models that are smaller and slower. Different areas on a hard drive have different access times and transfer rates, so a badly fragmented file will take longer to load. As longbreak notes, however, it is not needed nearly as often with today's much larger and faster drives as there is far more room and drive performance is much improved. With SSDs there is no need to defrag as all areas of the drive have the same access times and transfer rates (there is no drive head that has to move around or spinning disk to wait on), so a file being fragmented doesn't matter. And as SSD performance is so much better, it is preferable to install FSX to the SSD over a hard drive if possible. The need to defrag then becomes irrelevant.

Once you install FSX, you need to defrag once (on an HDD). Unless you're overwriting the files, they don't spontaneously get fragmented.

Cheers!

Luke

In fact, within FSX the vast majority of files that may get fragmented on a regular basis (FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, saved flights, weather etc) are stored outside of FSX. All these files are 'read' at the start of a session. Furthermore, many of these files are only 'read' so that the info they contain can be loaded - they are not normally 'removed' from their location, and thus defrag, unless the user actually makes any changes that affect them.

In general, defragmentation of the main FSX folder contents is purely due to the actions of the User - it can happen when you add a new simobject, repaint, scenery etc. When installed the files are allocated to free space within the 'cluders' on drive and it is common for files, especially large ones, to occupy multiple clusters .However, as with the files mentioned above none of the files are actually 'opened' - they are 'read' so that the data can be loaded into memory and therefore no further defragmentation will take place. The defragmentation occurs when you edit a file (such as the aircraft.cfg) or remove the simobject, repaint, scenery etc.

As loki has mentioned (at post #19), todays HDDs performance means that performance degradation due to defragmentation is less likely to be noticed. And, as I stated in post #18, the main performance hit from defragmentation cones from the OS files being degramented.

Regards

Brian

Hello all,after carefull consideration and looking at all your advice, I have taken the computer to the local computer technician shop and instructed them to mount an SSD and place the OS on it,so the FSX will go on D: alonside all other stuff,I was told that the existing C: will have to be formatted which will then become D:,there is no provision in the computer for a cradle to place the SSD so they will have to order one,also I have to now purchase a brand new legal Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 which will set me back well over 270€ plus another 150€ for the SSD plus the cradle ?€ and technical fee which will take my spending, just for a new computer for FSX, well over 1000€ so it had better be worth it! the OS I ordered from e-Bay I have cancelled.Barry.

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Just put windows and fsx both on the ssd. Work just as well. And all programs on C: is easier for backups too. (easier to make system images)

Hello il88pp,the SSD is only 125GB,so will this safely accomodate both windows and FSX? Barry

Windows 10 Pro

MSFS2020

FSX Acceleration

Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

16GB RAM

EVO SSD 500GB

Seagate HDD 2TB

Vatsim 1303381 P1(PPL)

Archived