FSX - How to download new, from older hard copy?

stabingerb

Hello.

I have an original version of FSX Gold, on DVD. The machine that was once running this is long gone. I'd like to have FSX on a new machine, however this device does not have an optical drive.

Is there a way to register/download FSX, if you have previously purchased a hard-copy? I have all the original packaging, Keys, discs, etc.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

-Brian

Hi,

If you have access to a computer with an optical drive and have a 16GB or greater thumb drive it will be simple.

Begin by copying the contents of both Deluxe discs to a common folder and the contents of the Acceleration disc to another folder on the thumb drive. The Deluxe discs have many common files so just skip all of them. If the computer with the optical drive has other software such as Nero or Cyberlink you may have to go into Safe mode to copy the files due to a conflict with the way these programs access the disc and the way the FSX data is encoded. Run Setup in the Deluxe folder, Activate, and then run Setup in the Acceleration folder.

Jim F.

Optical drives exist that you connect via Usb. They have their own power supply similar to connecting to a phone charger. And a Usb connection to the pc/laptop.

You just posted the same thing as post #2 from like 5 hours ago.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Copy the discs to a cloud (OneDrive, DropBox, ...).

Wim

Upload speeds to those cloud services are ridiculously low, because they have so many users...

Unless you're willing to leave your computer on for a good 3-4 hours at least.

http://rs258.pbsrc.com/albums/hh250/henrysb/avatar_11769.gif~c200

Copy the discs to a cloud (OneDrive, DropBox, ...).

Wim

If the whole point of his post has to do with the fact that his computer lacks the ability to read the discs how does he do that?

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

This is post of the external driver I was thinking of:

http://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420

For example this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02NW1112

it looks like this one does not require additional power connection, and runs on Usb connection only.

They also exist for Blue Ray. (in first link).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the tips and help.

Getting an inexpensive, USB optical drive sounds like the best route. I was mostly curious if I was missing some way to directly download a fresh copy, given an existing key. Which is apparently not possible.

Thanks again!

Hi stab,

Be aware that the software included with both Samsung and LG USB optical drives will cause a conflict with the way the FSX data is encoded and you will have to go into Safe mode either to copy the data locally or install directly. I'm not certain but I seem to recall that I could not complete the installation in Safe mode. Please let us know how things turn out.

Jim F.

I have an ASUS DVDWriter (DRW-F1ST)

It came with Cyberlink Power To Go, DVD Burning software.

I installed this, and it had several items that started automatically at boot.

I noticed when inserting the FSX disk it took ages to spin up. As in, 45 minutes!

I looked at the Windows startup Itms and saw several Power to Go items.

One of them was called 'Virtual Disk'. There were also some items that created special "Quick Burn" Items on the desktop. (not normal shortcuts, more like drop down menus).

I found out virtual drive scans every inserted disk, so P2G can create a image of the disk more quickly if you ask for that. Or Burn it quicly to a second burner.

I wanted none of that, so I disabled those startup Items. I used the startup list in "CCleaner" for that. You could also use msconfig.

After that, no more long time spinups. Drive access was instantanious. Install went without a hitch.

---------------------

Someone else here ran into the same issue, he fixed it by temporarily uninstalling the software.

Drive worked without it as well.

He then installed FSX, and installed the drive software again afterwards.

It is a well known issue that CD Burning software, of any kind, can interfere with reading certain types of CD's / DVD's.

Not just software that comes with drives, also DVD Burning software that is sold seperately.

(most of the ones that come with drives are sold separately as well anyway.)

Read up on the software that you will use, there is usually a way around it, ofthen by switching of unneeded autostart items in the startup list.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey il88,

Good info! I never bothered checking into it and just went into Safe Mode. I used Msconfig to take a look at things and the only Virtual Disk reference I could find was to a Microsoft service. Further checking showed "cyberlink brs " as a Startup Command. As I also have the Cyberlink software installed my suspicion is that disabling this will solve the problem also.

As a recent MS update has made going into Safe mode much more complicated I've just disabled cyberlink brs as a startup item. I did Google it and saw that cyberlink brs caused quite a few additional problems as well.

Jim F.

I eventually disabled all the P2G startup items.

P2G still runs just fine. You just need to start it manually if you want to use it. And everything you use it for like burning discs or creating images works super quick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived