Afterburner as a lighting effect rather than a throttle effect.

Rnglgdj

I was just wondering why a lot of models are make with the afterburner lighting effect coming on with the lights being turned on rather that a part of advancing the throttle.

There are a lot of models that have the afterburner coming on with advancing of the throttle and then shutting down with retarding of the throttle which is more realistic.

And can the ones operation with the light be changed?

Thanks

D R

kittingers_f-4_phantom.zip I just tried this one and it works exactly like you want. All of the AB effects are in the [lights] section and with all lights turned on the AB is on. With all lights off the AB turns on after 85% throttle and then off again when the throttle is reduced.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don't forget there's s difference between the pretty lights out the tail pipes, and the actual thrust and fuel consumption that AB's give. To get the pretty lights, yes, a gauge on the panel will work fine.

To get the thrust and fuel burn, you need entries in the aircraft.cfg and .air files.

Personally, I prefer the thrust to the pretty lights, but it's nice to have them both coordinated together.

For a great example of both coordinated, you might want tot ake a look at the FSDT FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet v16.1 by a Mr. "Jimi" Hendricks, XO of the FSX BA, and an amazing aircraft maker. Of course, he DOES have a heck of a team working with him. This is the team that designed and helped create the F-18 included in the FSX Acceleration pack. The v16.1 is a HUGE update of that plane. All new from the ground up. According to a number of the real Hornet drivers on the team, it's the most realistic Hornet available, as far as the FDE and FCS go, out there, freeware or payware.

It has a very well coordinated AB effect and thrust together. works great :)

I have posted a link to it many times, but I can put one here, should you wish. Just do a search through the forums for it.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If the OP doesn't have FSX Acceleration he will not have the F/A F-18C so it won't show up. There are 2 models in Hendricks package. One is alias to the FSX F-18. The other model is alias to the Captain Sim F-18 (payware). As far as showing in FS2004 I doubt it but I did not try that (yet). And if all you have is FSX (without Accel or SP's) then you WILL see the lights and vapor and AB but not the airplane itself. Sorry.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

First off, let me apologize for mentioning the dreaded FSX in an FS9 forum.

Next, Jimi's latest effort isn't aliased to anything but it's Base loadout. You found the older versions of it. The 12.2, maybe? The latest, the v16.1 may be found at this download site.

And the other, maybe the one in this threadperhaps, is Peter's take-off of Jimi's bird. Still a darn good plane, and has a ton of paints.

Are those the ones you mean? I don't know if they will transition over to FS9 or not, I've never tried it. As I recall, though, Dino's last F-14 for FS9 has the effects and thrust both included in it, although I may well be wrong on that. I did a LOT of modifying of it over a long time :)

It sure fly's nice though :D

I think the F-18E and F from Team FS KBT for FS9 have a very good AB set up also, As does the Aerialfoundry version, again, a Freeware for FS9.

Hope something in there can help a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well I got the F-16 Thunderbird panel to work in the Yak 28 recon plane. I know the F-18 works well in the F-18 but did not use it to replace the Yak 28 panel.

The only problem that I see is I get intermittent flashes out the ab as it flies like the engines ingested a bird.

It is kind of unnerving when landing to see the ab still lit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DR

Archived