How to fly the Spirit Of St. Louis.

BLehman

I installed the "Other" Sim model of the Spirit of St. Louis and found I needed a 20lb sledge hammer to make it fly, and then, of course, immediately crash into the ground. The wheels lifted off at about 70 kts and it was downhill from there.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I installed the "Other" Sim model of the Spirit of St. Louis and found I needed a 20lb sledge hammer to make it fly, and then, of course, immediately crash into the ground. The wheels lifted off at about 70 kts and it was downhill from there.
Unfortunately, the plane spins after it turns left and I can't seem to control it when I control the rudders.It crashes by the time it reaches 30 knots.

I finally managed to get the plane off the ground.But it's not easy to do.You can't use too much rudder to go right or it will spin out of control.It's the same when it trys to turn left also and you have to balance it out while pressing the number 5 to straighten out the rudder.

Like the real thing, it's VERY nose heavy with full fuel tanks. Start with 10% fuel in all 3 tanks and fly it like a modern microlight - hands on all the time, trim settings can't be relied on as Lindbergh himself said.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

She's unstable by design; Donald Hall... "decided that the empennage and wing control surfaces would not be altered from his original Ryan M-2 design, thus minimizing redesign time that was not available without delaying the flight. The result was less aerodynamic stability; nevertheless, the experienced Lindbergh approved the unaltered design. This setup resulted in a negatively stable design that tended to randomly introduce unanticipated pitch, yaw, and roll elements into its overall flight characteristics. There is dispute regarding whether Hall and Lindbergh also preferred this design because they anticipated that the continuous corrections to the random movements of the aircraft would help to keep Lindbergh awake during the estimated 40-hour flight. Whether or not the unstable design was deliberately retained to help fight fatigue, Lindbergh did later write how these random unanticipated movements helped keep him awake at various times during the flight."

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I have made three changes to the flight tuning section of the cfg file.

elevator_effectiveness = 0.8 //1.0

aileron_effectiveness = 0.8 //1.0

rudder_effectiveness = 0.8 //1.0

Reducing the effectiveness makes it slower to respond to control inputs but a bit easier to fly although still very unstable. I can take off and fly on full tanks with these changes.

Just so you know, to try and get it to a compromise, you CAN use settings like 0.86, or 0.8743. They don't have to be just one digit to the right of the decimal point. That sort of thing, to try to get the best possible controlability, with the least possible "overthrow" of the controls.

Hope that helps a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It has been awhile since flying the Spirit, it crashed right off the ground, tried it again I use a yoke I kept on giving it a little of up trim. Slowly gave it up elevator made slow banking while climbing, I spent several minutes flying around. I did not lighten up fuel just took off using outside view until I thought I might have enough speed to take-off, gave some trim slight elevator again trim in small increments it is hard to see but made it to 1761 ft. Then I came in for a landing. I never fly from the outside, WOW!!!! landing is hard that way but did it. (see image). Kenny

Spirit-of-St-Louis-flight-sm.jpg

• 1 year later...

It took awhile, but I think I have the take off figured out. Start with considerable up elevator, and during the take off roll, when she starts to depart, "kick" the rudder, to knock it back and immediately center the rudder again. It is like balancing a baseball bat on your hand. Once the tail lifts up, she becomes more stable.

If you start with enough up elevator, she will lift off on her own, but you may need to add a notch or two before you get to the end of the runway. Just use the minimum inputs and she will climb slowly but steadily after takeoff.

Landing, I don't know. My first and only attempt she went over on her nose.

Elevator trim needs to be set right for takeoff. The trim handle is on the left side of the cockpit and there is a pencil mark about halfway back. If you set the trim handle at the mark, she will fly off by herself before reaching the end of the runway and she will climb smoothly with no porpoising. You can concentrate on keeping her straight on the runway using sharp rudder kicks.

Additional Note:

Well, that pencil mark was just a speck of dirt on my screen. Just pull the handle back about two thirds. That should do it.

Archived