FSX Controls

jaybeckham

I have FSX and have installed SP1. It was the Deluxe version. I would like to acquire an inexpensive Yoke and Pedals. I have seen some on eBay at less then $100 for both by CH Products. In some cases the CH ones will include throttle and flab controls. Is CH good enough for basic flying vs a joystick? Or should i upgrade so to speak to Saitek products for a good bit more money?

And most important are these all compatible with FSX and Windows 10?

Thanks so much!

With the deluxe Version you should also install SP2. I wish I had flab control also. It's getting outta hand! Depending on the model of Pedals/Yoke, you may also want to think about the payware version of FSUIPC.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Make sure that you get controllers with USB ports. IIRC a long time ago there were CH yokes and pedals with jostick port connectors - you would probably have trouble with those in Win 10.

Looking at the book it says "Flight Simulator X Gold Edition

When I load it, it says Flight Simulator X Acceleration.

I think when I downloaded the SP1 it said not to load SP2 if you have the Acceleration.

Is that correct?

Also what is FSUIPC?

Thanks

yes, that's correct.

If you have Acceleration SP2 is not needed, and should not be installed first.

(if you have acceleration, SP1 is not even required. You can simpy install what you have on the disks.

(But having installed SP1 is fine. No problem.))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also what is FSUIPC?

Thanks

FSUIPC is a program that lets external things like weather programs and anything else that runs outside of FSX to connect to the Sim. I run the free version for FSrealwx Lite. The payware version lets you program things like joystick, rudder pedals, yokes and throttle assy. for use with FSX.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks again for your help. I did notice that some of the yokes on eBay did mention USB.

Yes, you want your yokes to be USB. However your ad lib lines may be yoke free. Tell me again about that flab control. I may need that when I get old! :rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

This aircraft definitely needs flab control!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188567[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty sure that's the guy I sat next to the last trip home from England. Or I'm that guy he sat next to on that trip. Either way, it wasn't a great flight for either of us!

Zip,

Better picture-could not see the 'fat' part. Hope you don't mind. That's funny. Not cool but funny.

Chuck B

Napamule

Zippy_Flap Control.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Looking at the book it says "Flight Simulator X Gold Edition

When I load it, it says Flight Simulator X Acceleration...

Also what is FSUIPC?..

Yes I've got FSX Gold too and it includes the Acceleration pack which gives you extra planes and stuff.

As for FSUIPC, it's only needed if you install fancy addons that require it, so don't bother with it if you don't need it. I've been playing FSX Gold for the past 8 years and have never needed it..:)

..I would like to acquire an inexpensive Yoke and Pedals. I have seen some on eBay at less then $100 for both by CH Products. In some cases the CH ones will include throttle and flab controls..

I haven't got a yoke/pedals and am no expert but if I was buying one I wouldn't worry about trying to get one that had lots of built in fancy buttons, I'd just get a simpler cheaper one with hardly any buttons and just use it for flying the plane, and use my keyboard buttons for other functions. For example this guy is using a keyboard with labelled buttons-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-K132_WWII_keyboard_mod_zps6lihwodc.jpg~original

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/7194-keyboard-mod-diy-flight-sims/

Yes, typo. FLAP control.

Hey Jay! We do tend to make awful puns from time to time. But hey we're sim geeks, what can you expect.

I hope you'll continue to put up with us because the collective body of knowledge here is huge! I learn something new every day & I've been around here for years.

I use the Saitek yoke, throttle levers, rudders, & multi-panel. They almost make the keyboard and mouse unused. That's always been my goal. FYI: Between the yoke and the throttle panel alone I have 23 different buttons I can use to control what ever functions I choose. And the multi-panel adds probably another 20 functions as well.

I use only usb ports for my extra controls, though I heartily recommend you get a POWERED USB PORT ADAPTER. You can plug several usb plugs into it and it won't sag the voltage on your system. They're cheap,$20-30, & well worth it.

You can get the usuipc software from usuipc, either free or licensed. For more than basic, I recommend the licensed version. It allows you to make a lot more control assignments to do what you want to do.

Finally, glad you're here. Everyone here adds something from time to time.:cool:

Zip,

Better picture-could not see the 'fat' part. Hope you don't mind. That's funny. Not cool but funny.

Chuck B

Napamule

A lot of people are screaming discrimination since some airlines are charging people like that for two seats. I think it's a damned shame they're not all doing it already! So sorry for the staff and many other passengers on that flight!:eek::eek:

I haven't got a yoke/pedals and am no expert but if I was buying one I wouldn't worry about trying to get one that had lots of built in fancy buttons, I'd just get a simpler cheaper one with hardly any buttons and just use it for flying the plane, and use my keyboard buttons for other functions. For example this guy is using a keyboard with labelled buttons-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-K132_WWII_keyboard_mod_zps6lihwodc.jpg~original

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/7194-keyboard-mod-diy-flight-sims/

That's a cute way of doing it. However I'd bet that operator needs the payware fsuipc to set all the functions of those keys.

That's really a pretty impressive setup!:cool: But from what I tell looking at the picture. The add-on buttons with the throttle unit and yoke can do pretty much everything that rig does. Though I've not thought about having a "dive" function? Does that rig have the James Bond options?:rolleyes:

I have FSX-SE, which is esentally what you have, Jay, just all in one package. Only cost me $5.00 on sale.

I have the latest freeware FSUIPC version, and it satisfies all my needs, which are pretty much FSRealWX Lite, The Duenna, and HTRv1.61.

FSUIPC is freeware, but you can open up a ton of additional features, like the controller set-ups, one for every axis, weather control, all kinds of goodies, by paying a very reasonable, one time only, cost.

It may be found HERE, on Mr. Dowson's site for it. He is the author.

I use a joystick to fly with, although someday I WILL invest in some rudder pedals. To me, a plane is flown with a stick, cars are driven with a wheel, and never the twain shall meet. But that is strictly a personal opinion. I learned to fly gliders before I learned to drive a car, so to me, planes are stick controlled, cars with a wheel. Flying a plane with a wheel is a bad compromise that is no good at all. JUST ME though.

A throttle/flap control would be nice, though. Again, someday.

I could sure use a flab control, though. I bear NO resemblance to to guy in the pictures, there, but I don't ever want to get there, either! :rolleyes: :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The CH Yoke is pretty good considering the price, but it has a plastic shaft and bushings which tend to bind for the elevator axis. I use trim for most of the elevator control because of this and it requires two hands on the yoke for final flare on landing. I took the unit apart and substituted felt for the rear plastic bushing to free it up some. Left buttons are used for trim, landing gear, landing light and speed brake. Right buttons are used for views and ATC window. Flaps are assigned to one of the toggles. Everything else is controlled from a small USB keyboard with labels on the keys. Control assignments do not require FSUIPC.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I use a joystick to fly with, although someday I WILL invest in some rudder pedals. To me, a plane is flown with a stick, cars are driven with a wheel, and never the twain shall meet. But that is strictly a personal opinion. I learned to fly gliders before I learned to drive a car, so to me, planes are stick controlled, cars with a wheel. Flying a plane with a wheel is a bad compromise that is no good at all. JUST ME though.

A throttle/flap control would be nice, though. Again, someday.

Pat☺

Pat,

I have a Extreme 3D Pro joystick which I use when flying planes that came with a joystick in the Real World. It has about the same number of control buttons as my Saitek yoke. I fly joystick with joystick planes and use the yoke for planes such as the R4 which has one.

I can't say I have a preference between joystick or yoke, whichever is appropriate. But I do feel I can't sim without the rudder pedals! They are universal for anything I'm aware of out there. I hugely recommend you get those!! They really help put you into the "cockpit!" And like another poster said, the differential braking on the toes is yet another step of a more accurate sim. :cool:

Art_P

I've heard people complain about the Saitek yoke being sticky as well. Though I personally haven't noticed that on mine. However I will add to that, I flew RW planes with cable and fulcrum control systems & no hydraulic or electric assist. As well as some with "SAS" (Stability Augmentation System) which eliminated about 30% or more of the minor corrections you'd expect to make while flying a chopper.

So I somewhat expect some binding or "tight spots" in all my flight controls and consider that part of the sim. Perhaps if my only experience was with the newer fancier stuff they often fly today I'd not like the Saitek as well.

Archived