Question about vor to vor

mreeveshp

I apologize if I sound stupid but I'm just trying anything to finally be able to understand this.

I see a lot of people go to sky vector to get there flight plan. (Which if anybody could show me a good video guides or even written phrase so I understand sky vector better.

But they always find the vor that they want on sky vector but when I look at the FSX world map I never find the one they are talking about and the freqs from one to another are different

I really want to get this figured out so I can do a cross country in a Cessna caravan without gps just using old school navigation so any information you can give me the more the better. And also is there a way to align FSX with sky vector or something like that

Also if you would like to go in death on other forms of nav like ndb or others like that please do. I just want to learn as much as I can so it doesn't feel like I'm just putting around going nowhere

Tha mms

Mreeveshp

Sigelei 150 TC

Velocity (splatter edition) FAVORITE

Silver velocity

Silver turbo

Black turbo

Freakshow

Mutation x v4

Aspire triton

Mutilator

Dark horse

Kangertech Subtank mini

Smok tfv4

...and much more to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These should help:

Navigation instruction: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Moving Map: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

And they are free (donations if you desire). My granddaughter learned to fly the whole world with just these two items. The Learner Cessna and panel included with the navigation instructions also work with P3D. Have fun....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

You say "But they always find the vor that they want on sky vector but when I look at the FSX world map I never find the one they are talking about and the freqs from one to another are different"

But there is nothing there that I see mentioning FSX (maybe I missed something?). I just see various map choices, the default (comes up when getting on the site) is labeled World VFR, and is an FAA sectional chart. Zooming in lets you read more detail, of course, but how about suggesting where you want to go to and from.

When I went to the chart, it showed near the Texas/Oklahoma border, and I saw Dalhart, TX, among others on the screen. There are four buttons at top left, Airports, Charts, Help and Fuel Prices (the site is geared towards real world flight). Mousing over the Charts button shows an inset with lots of squares over the U.S., each representing a sectional chart, and there's a label that says which sectional it is.

To plan a flight, you pick a starting and an ending point (in your head, not on that site) and move around on the chart find the set of VORs that will lead you from one spot to another.

So lets do an example, going from Dalhart to Lubbock. At the Dalhart airport you see several blue lines radiating out from the field. Each is a Victor airway, which is a path the FAA has surveyed for accuracy between two (or more) points and labeled for easy reference. Let's take V81 (lower right from the airport) to Amarillo. So you'll set your NAV radio to 112.0 and set your OBS to 129º with the TO/FROM indicator showing FROM. Then you fly southeast, intercepting that VOR path and keeping the needle centered. Somewhere around halfway, change your radio to 116.6, the PANHANDLE VORTAC, and adjust the OBS until you see the needle centered with a TO on the TO/FROM flag. Continue until the needle starts wobbling (you're just about there) and when it flops to FROM you've just passed the VOR.

Since that VOR appears to be on the field, you're there. Hope this helps a bit. But don't expect the site to plan it for you, unless you've logged in. Then be careful, because "filing" a flight plan would probably send it to the FAA. Note that this is my first time on that site, and I've not signed up, so there may be lots I don't know about the site itself, especially once you've logged in. But there IS a help button you can use.

Hope this helps

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Nice job Larry! I'm sure you answered a lot of questions today!;)

And I agree! The FAA probably doesn't want to deal with a lot of flight plans filed by people flying Flight Sims!!!:cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

And I agree! The FAA probably doesn't want to deal with a lot of flight plans filed by people flying Flight Sims!!!:cool:

But the FAA is such a friendly, supportive, easy going bunch - I couldn't imagine them objecting to fake flight plan filing - but hey - at least they don't buy hard drives from the same source as their friends at the IRS...

;)

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

But the FAA is such a friendly, supportive, easy going bunch - I couldn't imagine them objecting to fake flight plan filing - but hey - at least they don't buy hard drives from the same source as their friends at the IRS...

;)

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it's really fun meeting them if and when you decide to change a VFR flight destination after the initial take-off! I hear you sometimes get your plane back the same day. And it isn't always terribly trashed, just usually!

How nice those FAA guys are depends on which side of the "bad" you are.

When I flew over a herd of cattle inverted at about 50'AGL, in a Citabria, the nice FAA man met me on the apron at San Carlos when I got shut down. Very considerate of him to carry my license for me. Odd though. I guess he really liked the look of it, cause he kept it. Never saw it again...

BUT: When my Aerostat site got fake-strafed by a pair of F/A-18's out of Yuma, while we were aloft, by the way, the FAA guy I called was kind enough to go wake their CO up for me. So, there we were, Aerostat up at 10,000' AGL, with a 1" diameter, black tether down to the Mooring system, by the way, while this pair of hot-shot Hornet drivers were making strafing runs using our Mooring system (a big aluminum/steel box) for a radar target to make their runs on. At about 50-100'AG. Inside two, stacked, restricted airspaces. I have no idea HOW they missed the tether, but I am sure glad they did. Would have lost the balloon if they'd hit it! Oh, yeah, and the Hornet too. All this fun about 0230 local. Strangely, they suddenly broke a run off just before they crossed our perimeter fence after I had made the phone call to the FAA.

Needless to say, their CO was a bit upset. Firstly, by being woken up at that time of the night by the nice FAA guy yelling at him, secondly by just what his two SH pilots were doing. He called us and told us not to worry, they were going to loose their Top-Gun tapes.

From what I heard, him and the FAA guy were waiting on them as they climbed down out of their birds, and were kind enough to carry their wings to the Base CO, FAA, and a number of other folks for them. I guess those Wings of Gold were just too heavy for them to carry any more...

SO: When the FAA Guy took MY license, bad guy. When he was there to take their wings? Good guy. At least from MY perspective. See? It's all relative to one's POV :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Ok, story time over.

Bear in mind that FSX is a 10 year old bit of software. What IT has in it's DB for VOR frequencies, designators and so on, are 10 years out of date. Things like that do change over time. Not all of them, and not all at once, but enough that looking that sort of thing up on Skyvector may or may NOT be a match to FSX. Better to use either the flight planner IN FSX, PlanG, or something like that.

Also, the FSX magnetic declination is way off from the Real World, too. Remember that it shifts over time, also, so what was a good magnetic course when FSX came out isn't any longer.

I am sure that Skyvector is fine for real-world (where the heck that is, I still haven't figgered out...) Flight Planning for real-world pilots, for FSX it may tend to lead you astray.

Just my 2 bits on the whole thing...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

How nice those FAA guys are depends on which side of the "bad" you are.

When I flew over a herd of cattle inverted at about 50'AGL, in a Citabria, the nice FAA man met me on the apron at San Carlos when I got shut down. Very considerate of him to carry my license for me. Odd though. I guess he really liked the look of it, cause he kept it. Never saw it again...

BUT: When my Aerostat site got fake-strafed by a pair of F/A-18's out of Yuma, while we were aloft, by the way, the FAA guy I called was kind enough to go wake their CO up for me. So, there we were, Aerostat up at 10,000' AGL, with a 1" diameter, black tether down to the Mooring system, by the way, while this pair of hot-shot Hornet drivers were making strafing runs using our Mooring system (a big aluminum/steel box) for a radar target to make their runs on. At about 50-100'AG. Inside two, stacked, restricted airspaces. I have no idea HOW they missed the tether, but I am sure glad they did. Would have lost the balloon if they'd hit it! Oh, yeah, and the Hornet too. All this fun about 0230 local. Strangely, they suddenly broke a run off just before they crossed our perimeter fence after I had made the phone call to the FAA.

Needless to say, their CO was a bit upset. Firstly, by being woken up at that time of the night by the nice FAA guy yelling at him, secondly by just what his two SH pilots were doing. He called us and told us not to worry, they were going to loose their Top-Gun tapes.

From what I heard, him and the FAA guy were waiting on them as they climbed down out of their birds, and were kind enough to carry their wings to the Base CO, FAA, and a number of other folks for them. I guess those Wings of Gold were just too heavy for them to carry any more...

SO: When the FAA Guy took MY license, bad guy. When he was there to take their wings? Good guy. At least from MY perspective. See? It's all relative to one's POV :D

Pat☺

From what I read in the AOPA magazine they're bad guy all the time with GA pilots now, after 911. I & a lot of others believe pretty strongly they're really trying to shut down GA altogether in the US! And no, I'm not joking either!!:mad::(

LOL - they're so friendly - the government had to task an intermediary to act as a proxy - NASA - just to alleviate pilot fear of repercussions when bringing up safety of flight issues...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

I apologize if I sound stupid but I'm just trying anything to finally be able to understand this.

I see a lot of people go to sky vector to get there flight plan. (Which if anybody could show me a good video guides or even written phrase so I understand sky vector better.

But they always find the vor that they want on sky vector but when I look at the FSX world map I never find the one they are talking about and the freqs from one to another are different

I really want to get this figured out so I can do a cross country in a Cessna caravan without gps just using old school navigation so any information you can give me the more the better. And also is there a way to align FSX with sky vector or something like that

Also if you would like to go in death on other forms of nav like ndb or others like that please do. I just want to learn as much as I can so it doesn't feel like I'm just putting around going nowhere

There are two key words in your thread in which you should really consider;

FLIGHT PLAN

I really enjoy this aspect of flight. To be, like you say, "I'm just putting around going nowhere" is no fun and there is no challenge in it. My best flights are the ones that I really set up properly. There is a lot to consider when doing this. I do not know where or what level you are at with the simulation, but there is a heck of a lot to this. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips to learning all there is to know. You found a good forum here to ask questions, but when asking, narrow your thread down to a particular question. Your thread Question about VOR to VOR , now was that what you meant or did you want to know about sky vector or are you looking for a certain VOR. All good questions. Just break it down so you can get the precise answer you are looking for. Glad to help if it is possible.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

You may find the videos on VOR and NDB navigation at

useful.

Al

Recently on FSX I flew into an airport in Renton, Washington (Seattle area). Went bonkers trying to figure out why the ILS wouldn't work. Once I was safely on the parking apron, I adjusted my FSCommander and "examined" the airport. I had a real-world approach chart for the Renton facility, but the frequency in FSCommander/FSX was a different number!

On the plus side, with the huge proliferation of GPS equipment in use now, just about every "fix" used in the real-world for RNAV approaches seem to be in the FSX database. For many years, my local airport (KLEE) has had only a single, non-precision NDB approach. But, since the fixes for RNAV for several other approaches are there, I can land in semi-nasty weather in FSX and still feel pretty realistic.

Archived