Couple questions I need help with

mreeveshp

Hey all hopefully I can get help to finally get these questions answered.

First one is flying say the Airbus A321 at FL350 with clear and no winds I have noticed that when I go over about 320kts I start getting the overspeed warning which seems odd to me because I know that plane can go faster than that. When I get the overspeed warning I am flying level, flaps 0, gear up, just cruising along and no matter what I do I get the warning and its not just that plane its all of them I can't go even close to what I understand the manufacture rated cruising speed.

Second just out of curiosity since it has been quite a few years since I have been on a commercial flight and I like to try to do everything on the sim as realistic as possible. What is the average point for the pilot to turn the seatbelt light off after take off and on before landing.

Third I was flying from Heathrow to Dublin Int and ATC had given me clearance to land, I was at FL25 at about 200kts and slowing. I heard ATC tell a plane behind me that they were cleared to land but they were a ways behind me. As I was descending to land all of a sudden that plane came down right on top of me and crashed into me. Even though it is AI ATC I figured they would keep two planes from crashing into each other. I reloaded the flight and was at the same point on my descent about to land with clearance when all of a sudden I had to hit TO/GA because ATC all of a suddenly gave a plane clearance to take off when I was only about 250' off the ground. Just curious if anybody might know why the AI has done that to me.

Thanks in advance,

mreeveshp

What you are seeing in the cockpit is the indicated air speed, IAS. The speed at which you are actually moving through the air, your TAS or true air speed, is higher. The IAS is more relevant for how the aircraft flies and that's why it's on the gauge.

TAS is roughly 2% higher per 1000 feet of altitude.

The speed figures you're thinking about should be TAS.

The way you fly airliners is typically to maintain a constant IAS in the climb. This will mean an increasing Mach speed. As you reach a predetermined Mach speed, you switch to flying a constant Mach, whereafter your IAS will decrease as you climb.

That should get you started. I think Wiki has a reasonably good article on the various air speeds and how they relate to each other.

I agree with effte!

At FL350 you should be flying at MACH and NOT KIAS. In fact when you are at MACH, you will notice that your KIAS will drop lower than 350. That's not a bad thing. Your main concern regarding speed should be GROUND SPEED. That will be up around 480 knots or more.

I regards to aircraft chasing you down while landing, hate to say it but that happens. ATC can do only so much. While on approach, with clearance-Clarence to land, I have had AI sneak under and even over me and race me to the runway. You can decide to be the bigger person and do the go-around or ignore everyone and land your plane.

The prudent thing to do is find and install AISmooth. That program runs (along with FSUIPC) to control AI aircraft so that they don't interfere as much.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Both who replied to your indicated airspeed questions were correct. However I'll go further to explain why indicated airspeed matters to you. Indicated airspeed isn't really about the speed you're traveling (True Airspeed or Speed Over Ground), it's a measure of the air pressure against your aircraft, which can affect your aircraft in good and bad ways.

Without air pressure you wouldn't have a pressure differential across your wing surface to produce lift. So in that instance air pressure is essential! That's what a takeoff roll is about.

Excess air pressure can damage your aircraft. Which is bad. Excess air pressure is what your over speed warning klaxon is telling you about. It's trying to help you protect your plane from damage.

At higher altitudes the air (atmosphere) itself is thinner, it has less molecules per area, than at sea level. Therefore, at higher altitude there is less air pressure affecting your plane. Your airplane only reacts to the pressure pressing against it. So with less pressure at higher altitude the airplane can travel at a faster Speed Over Ground without damage than when flying lower.

You use your indicated speed to tell you when you can take off and to prevent in-air stalls. Knowing your indicated speed also helps you prevent damage to the plane. And you use True Airspeed or Speed Over Ground to know how fast you are actually traveling. :cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone that got me started into the rabbit hole of research and I couldn't have got it if it wasn't for you. I still have much to learn on this subject but now I'm moving on to vor navigation. Check in to my new post hopefully some of you will have some amazing answers like you did here

Again thank you so much

Mreeveshp

Sigelei 150 TC

Velocity (splatter edition) FAVORITE

Silver velocity

Silver turbo

Black turbo

Freakshow

Mutation x v4

Aspire triton

Mutilator

Dark horse