Copying FSX over to a SSD...

beany_bot

Reinstall. You will NOT be able to copy over and retain all the registry entries, especially if you are doing a fresh install of W10 (and if you're not, more fool you...).

Save yourself hours of grief by simply using the opportunity to delete the `100s'` and only install the necessary.

A fresh install is one of the great performance tools. Don't waste the opportunity.

The best way is to not copy anything. I'd reinstall everything from scratch. Especially with a new OS.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Hi...

I just purchased one of these (see below) - haven't installed it yet... I already have (2) 128GB SSD's in my PC - (1) for the OS and (1) for apps... I am only now transitioning from FS9 (that I still thoroughly enjoy) to P3Dv3 and I need more space... I've had very good experience with Samsung SSD's and they are my favored brand at the moment... For the cost of a couple addons - an SSD will make your life much better... Do yourself a favor - if you do purchase one - remove MSFS and do a clean install - it will probably save you tons of grief down the road... Personally - although a bunch of work - I usually do a complete rebuild every few years with MSFS to clean things up...

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE512BW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147361

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

There are several folks here on the forum who are doing exactly that. Dual-boot the box with only FSX running under Windows 7 and running everything else with Windows 10. A bonus to that arrangement is that you'll never have to worry about Windows 10 updates screwing up the FSX install. Plus, it's a great way to be able to migrate all your other stuff over to a clean install of Windows 10 with no time pressures. Sounds like a plan to me.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Hi...

I just purchased one of these (see below) - haven't installed it yet... I already have (2) 128GB SSD's in my PC - (1) for the OS and (1) for apps... I am only now transitioning from FS9 (that I still thoroughly enjoy) to P3Dv3 and I need more space... I've had very good experience with Samsung SSD's and they are my favored brand at the moment... For the cost of a couple addons - an SSD will make your life much better... Do yourself a favor - if you do purchase one - remove MSFS and do a clean install - it will probably save you tons of grief down the road... Personally - although a bunch of work - I usually do a complete rebuild every few years with MSFS to clean things up...

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE512BW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147361

Regards,

Scott

Scott, I installed the same card. I did a clone of my C drive with the software that is provided with the card. You do need to buy the cable, or if you are lucky, maybe borrow one from work like I did.

My OS, FSX, and Add-ons came over without issue. If I ever have to but a card in the TByte range, I will do the same thing.

Not sure why this isn't being considered as an option. Worst case, it doesn't work and you put the old card back in and figure out what went wrong.

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Hi Frank,

Good point - cloning should work as well... I guess I was thinking of it from my perspective - I did the Win10 "upgrade" and I'm not very happy with my system at the moment - I've been contemplating a complete wipe and reload of my box in an attempt to get everything sorted out... I always look at a new disk as an opportunity to straighten everything out... Thanks for the idea...

:)

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Frank,

Good point - cloning should work as well... I guess I was thinking of it from my perspective - I did the Win10 "upgrade" and I'm not very happy with my system at the moment - I've been contemplating a complete wipe and reload of my box in an attempt to get everything sorted out... I always look at a new disk as an opportunity to straighten everything out... Thanks for the idea...

:)

Regards,

Scott

Cloning won't work if you change the OS. The install is NOT solely based on the sim drive.

Hi Frank,

I always look at a new disk as an opportunity to straighten everything out.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

I agree!! I've done clones, transfers, and all manner of variations on that theme for years. This has happened when I bought new hard drives or built new machines. Some attempts do well, some not so well. But I have found, despite the extra time required to start from scratch, it always pays off for me in the long run!

Why, because whenever I clone or copy , I also move the longtime accumulation of junk software that has cluttered my old machine or hard drive up. Think of this as a new beginning!

When most of us move our homes, we try not to move the junk which has accumulated and we can't even identify. Consider your new HD as a new home you don't want to clutter up with a lifetime's worth of old junk.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I did the what clutch advises. Win7 moved to ssd using acronis. Worked fine. Ssd was not samsung. I got the win10 offer ok, but didn't take it.

You may need some trickery though if fsx is currently on a second partition. You can move only the needed partitions (C:\ part and part with fsx on it), but you will need enough space on the ssd to put it all on.

If there is not enough space, you would need to shrink partitions first I think.

How is your current system set up. What drive sizes, what partition sizes on each drive, what is where, is all your data nicely on a separate drive or all scattered through My Documents, My Pictures, and the rest of the C: drive, where is fsx, are there other programs on the separate drives and partitions, etc?

Plan on what you want to move.

It may be best to uninstall programs that are on D:, E:, that you won't take along before moving the OS. (because of registry entries) Then reinstall them later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived