Win7 got my FS to run better

lefu

I just wanted to share this with you, but because im still a noob

i wonder why it got like this. (not the "noob" part :rolleyes: )

I played FSX under win xp during 8 years, ever since i installed win7, on the same old system ( 2010 )

FSX really got better, best graphics, i can set higher settings including antialiasing and anisotropic, air traffic up to max

Unlimited FPS with external limiter (gamebooster) my fsx.cfg file is set with bojote tweek tool.

The only minus is while using the ariane B737 but anyways, that plane has allways been a pain in the butt when it decides to.

I also added the UIAutomationCore.dll but frankly, the noob in me cant see a difference.

And i mean the water up to max settings ! amazing ! never had that effect on win xp.

I also added a new 20 inch screen bigger than the old one (15 inch) im using the old one as second screen but i rarely use it for FSX.

What are your thoughts ?

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For me, FSX runs worse with Windows 7 than it did with Windows XP. The only way I could eliminate the screen flashes was to set the Water effects to High 2.x which reduced the FPS. The extra step required for addon scenery and the nonsense with UIAutomationcore.dll and it soon becomes apparent that FSX was designed for Windows XP and not Windows 7.
Mike Mann

The extra step required for addon scenery and the nonsense with UIAutomationcore.dll and it soon becomes apparent that FSX was designed for Windows XP and not Windows 7.

Yeah, that extra mouse click is a real killer.

And the ui... is a drop it in and forget it issue.

FSX was designed for Vista, not XP.

The Vista kernel was not only a dramatic change from the XP kernel it is the basis for 7, 8 and 10.

If FSX runs worse on Win 7 than it did on XP, there is something wrong with your Win 7 setup.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

FSX ran fine on my old PC for years under dear old WinXP, but when I switched to Win7 last year and re-installed FSX, FSX wouldn't run at all, it kept hanging at the loading screen!

Same with a couple of other games which ran fine under WinXP on my old PC but wouldn't run when I switched to Win7!

Luckily I was buying a new PC anyway and everything runs fine on it with Win7, but it's still a mystery why they wouldn't run on my old PC after switching to 7.

PS- Generally speaking Win7 doesn't seem as user-friendly as XP for general PC use and there are a few quirks I don't like. I only switched to it last year because Microsoft had stopped support for dear old XP.

The advantages of operating under 64 bit vs 32 bit memory is well known.

The uiautomatoincore is not a performance enhancer, but a mouse click crash preventer. No one is going to "see" any difference in the display from applying the fix.

If you like XP better, there is no reason you cannot keep using it. There is nothing which automatically prevents XP from working and nothing which keeps any of the software you had previously installed on it from working. All that's missing in MS is no longer patching it and you cannot call their support for it. No big deal.

I still boot into XP often and the third party vendors I have installed on it are still updating their software for it. If being able to use XP is a deal breaker for you, there is nothing forcing you use anything else. I would not trade the 2 1/2 minutes it takes me to fully boot into a solid XP desktop vs the 22 seconds it takes to get into Win7x64 for anything.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

The advantages of operating under 64 bit vs 32 bit memory is well known.

I would not trade the 2 1/2 minutes it takes me to fully boot into a solid XP desktop vs the 22 seconds it takes to get into Win7x64 for anything.

-Pv-

Well Put!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I would not trade the 2 1/2 minutes it takes me to fully boot into a solid XP desktop vs the 22 seconds it takes to get into Win7x64 for anything.

-Pv-

Fortunately the Windows XP installation I have is slimmed down so that the boot time is equivalent to Windows 7. The slow OS is my Linux Mint Cinnamon 17, which takes 10 times longer to boot than either XP or 7.

Mike Mann

You consider yourself a 'noob' with almost 1600 posts? Well, OK. My personal experience is that FSX runs as well on win7 as it did on xp, your 'mileage' may vary. My brief time running it on vista was disappointing. Is it me or does Microsoft only get every other OS right? (ME, Vista, win8, versus Win98, XP, Win7)

"only get every other OS right?"

That's my opinion. They get a great focus group idea, push it out the door, then spend a couple years fixing it and call it a new OS.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

You consider yourself a 'noob' with almost 1600 posts? Well, OK. My personal experience is that FSX runs as well on win7 as it did on xp, your 'mileage' may vary. My brief time running it on vista was disappointing. Is it me or does Microsoft only get every other OS right? (ME, Vista, win8, versus Win98, XP, Win7)

My 1600 posts are more related to FS than FS/WINDOWS :rolleyes:

i asked a technician yesterday about this observation and he had no idea how to explain..he has no idea how fs works ! ;)

The only thing i can suppose is that a new OS is like the previous one, +new features, lots of stuff corrected, so stronger.

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For the record, when Microsoft stopped support for Win XP last year, there were terrible scare stories circulating in the PC Help net forums about how XP would now be open to all sorts of malware and virus attacks because there'd be no more security updates for it.

That's the only reason I switched to Win 7.

For the record, when Microsoft stopped support for Win XP last year, there were terrible scare stories circulating in the PC Help net forums about how XP would now be open to all sorts of malware and virus attacks because there'd be no more security updates for it.

That's the only reason I switched to Win 7.

I ran winxp untill a mont ago, no problem. chrome was getting it slower though.

But there was still some updates available.

FSX was designed for Vista, not XP. The Vista kernel was not only a dramatic change from the XP kernel it is the basis for 7, 8 and 10.

If FSX runs worse on Win 7 than it did on XP, there is something wrong with your Win 7 setup.

+1

Bean nailed it. I ran FSX for years on XP, but when Microsoft stopped supporting XP, I had to switch to another OS due to the high security risks of continuing to run an unsupported OS. After reading up on Windows 8, I decided to go with Win 7 instead.

FSX ran better on Win 7 than it ever did on XP for me. Later on, I upgraded hardware (Core-2 Duo to i5-3570) to support a 64-bit system and switched to Win 7 x64- another improvement in FSX.

So as Bean said, if FSX is running WORSE under Win 7 for you, there is something wrong- Win 7 should run it BETTER than XP.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Is it me or does Microsoft only get every other OS right? (ME, Vista, win8, versus Win98, XP, Win7)

It's not "just you." I share the opinion that 98 & XP were VASTLY superior to ME & Vista. I have never personally run Win-8, but I spent literally WEEKS online researching whether to go with 7 or 8 when I decided to upgrade our 4 PCs from XP, and Win-7 had by far the better reviews, and was significantly less expensive as well. Since then, everything I've read confirms that Win-7 is a better system, at least for what I do.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Since we're sharing our opinionated opinions here, then let me add my own bent nickel's worth:

There's NOTHING wrong with Windows 8, or 8.1, PROVIDED - I repeat PROVIDED -

1. That you ignore the stupid (multiple expletives deleted by author) tile interface or whatever they call that interface, Metro UI or whatever

2. You install FSX or applications like that OUTSIDE the infamous C:\Program Files (x86) to avoid the UAC hand-holding that prevents you from doing anything creative

3. You run everything as Administrator

4. You run everything off your desktop

The OS itself is fast and very stable, the problem is what MS wrapped around it, like UAC and the tile interface.

Again, this is my very own opinionated opinion™©.

Jorgen :pilot:

"only get every other OS right?"

That's my opinion. They get a great focus group idea, push it out the door, then spend a couple years fixing it and call it a new OS.

-Pv-

Since what seems like forever, MS has botched every even-numbered OS. One would think that after the Win 8 disaster (just ask any corporate CIO) that they wouldn't have jumped to Win 10. It'll be interesting seeing how a new OS designed to include operating on a cellphone works on the desktop.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived