Golden Age Simulations Stearman for FSX

usb777

I was wondering , anyone have the Golden Age Stearman. I notice in level flight and even at take off the tail seems a bit high. Being a beginner at this what can I do in the design, model or air file to correct this?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Don't have the model, but surprised Golden Age not correct. Anyway I would first go to the .air file, down to box 1101, & within that look for 'Fuselage AOA at min induced drag & change that....having first saved the original of course! After that its probably a bit of a fiddle in box 404 to change the lift slope, angularly & along the graph. Can mess up the trim though if not careful! Could also try the angle of wing incidence in the .cfg, but not sure that works for what you want.

Best of luck

Keith

Cool, thanks. what might be a good number, higher, lower? will look at other aircraft and compare.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

How do I edit line 404? I am using David Eckart's Stearman as a guide. Changed line 1101 didn't help.

Mike G.

Been trying everything, no luck. Sent them an E-Mail. Just looks funny with it's tail to high. David Eckart's a lot more enjoyable to watch. I guess Golden Age figured you would stay in the cockpit which I might add, is pretty nice.

Mike G.

How do I edit line 404? I am using David Eckart's Stearman as a guide. Changed line 1101 didn't help.

Open 404 & you should see a graph of Cl Vs AoA. On bottom line you can see an X & a Y value & there should be a blue highlighted vertical line on the extreme LHS. You can then move this curser using your arrow keys & to change the X or Y value press X or Y & a box appears top L with the value which you can change. Press Enter to load that number. You only need to change values around the cruising angle (which is in radians BTW).

Just had another thought as it seems to have too much lift if its wanting to reduce AoA - in the .cfg reduce Cruise lift scalar by say 25% & see what happens!

Good luck

Keith

Great! I am going to give it a go. Either way I learned something new!

Mike G.

Changing either way can also affect induced drag & hence cruise & flat out speeds. I did try the .cfg change on one of my models & thats possibly the simplest way to achieve what you want, but you might need to tweak the induced drag value to compensate especially if you are worried about exactness of the specification!

Keith

Still can't get the tail down. What are you changing in the .cfg?

Mike G.

Seems like I need to lower the lift and get the trim up so the tail is level within level flight

Mike G.

Been experimenting with all the info and great fun but still not getting what I would like. The tail stills wants to ride a little high. I am thinking, what do I change to reduce the lift and trim the elevator up?

Mike G.

Yes, I did that. Seems I have gotten the tail a little lower and been trying higher numbers to see but not a noticeable change. Have learned a lot though just from trying different things. It almost feels like adding 15% flaps would achieve what I am looking for but it is a Stearman Bi-plane.

Mike G.

Ha! I believe I got!

I changed the lift scalar down 25%

I changed #line 404 x=-3.000 and y=0.000

Then, #line 1101 Primary Flight Dynamics under

*Fuselage AoA at Min Induced Drag=0.995

Seems to fly more level without gaining much altitude at low throttle. Thanks everybody!! I learned a lot of new things to play with now on more of my aircraft. My ultimet goal is to design one myself. Ha1 Ha!

Mike G.

Now my greed will come through. I want more! Where can find more instruction on air file utility? Like what each entry means and does, how to make changes. Things like power and say the stick returning to center.

Mike G.

Cool! Thanks!

Mike G.

Archived