Lost the fire?

Smiffy

Your reference to the moderator here was completely uncalled for IMO.

Quite so. First post, shamelessly plugging this so-called Next Generation Flight Simulator, which to me is nothing more than "Oh look at all the things we are going to do".

Quite so. First post, shamelessly plugging this so-called Next Generation Flight Simulator, which to me is nothing more than "Oh look at all the things we are going to do".

here we go with the attacks on me - when I never attacked the moderator- I'm simply was amazed at the fact - if I was going to insult then I would have plainly done so - but you 12,000 post people feel you must pounce on every post you don't fully read or understand - talking about shame. Now you know why I only have 1 post -but I have been around flight simulation 25+ years and look at the disaster it has become because of the endless pouncing on the forums, just like starving lions. No wonder the moderator is finding other things to do, and I hope he does well in them, but the likes of you is what the problem in flight simming is.

My reference to the moderator was totally called for given the topic - I made a very good point about some of the reasons why he finds other things to do. If NGFS succeeds its possible that the moderator will enjoy flight simming again, even more than any other hobbies-- just giving some hope. No insult - and I said nobody has to explain because I knew the loins would want to get their brownie points and they would not understand I was communicating-totally predictable and quite shameful.

My post was for the few who can understand and who will encourage the NGiS team - my post was not for you, but I knew you would pounce.

..I'm just baffled as to why one remains a moderator at flightsim.com if there is such little time. In my view this is positive proof that this hobby is dying...

The best forums (like this one) run smoothly enough without the need for mods anyway, and I say that as a mod myself over at the Mission4Today website..:)

As regards sims, FSX got a huge boost when it became easily available on Steam about a year ago, and as a result we're seeing FSX newcomers joining Flightsim.com all the time..:)

"They fully intend to " do this, "They fully intend to " do that.

Were any of us given a dollar for every thing in life we "fully intended" to do....

Over the years I have seen, or not seen actually, so much vaporware that i no longer even read WIP threads.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm bringing it again to the "lost the fire" first "confession" of Smiffy.

What you wrote is so true...sometimes there is a lost of passion between lovers, isn't it?

Well, first thing is that it is human to lost interest and/or passion for something, without a known reason...maybe when we get older (on old!) we seek for a bit different excitement.

It happens to me sometimes also. There are times that I can see clearly all of X-Plane's limitations, and my limitations (as an amateur developer) and there's that emptiness inside of me. I don't want to fly it, it seems useless (!) But suddenly, something happens and X-Plane turns into my biggest love and excitement (right after my wife and kids).

In my case, I think I'm "getting the fire back" because I get X-Plane, as a part of my love to aerospace and aviation. Not the whole thing; If you get a cupcake for dinner...it's lame...but if you had an amazing dinner, and then get the cupcake...real pleasure :)

Here are my suggestions for keeping the fire up:

1. Try to stay updated in the recent aviation news and developments (real world).

2. Try something different (like flying over the net with a buddy or a group).

3. Try to develop your own aircraft. It doesn't have to be high quality, but it will get you to understand your flight simulator better. (By the way, I remember the "Flight Simulator 5" I think? on which you could build airplanes in it, back in the early 90's...this was the first time that I realized that creating airplanes for simulation is my thing...).

4. Try another flight simulator. Who knows? Every year I download the recent version of FlightGear and try it out (I'm a linux user, and appreciate FSX but it was never my personal taste). Haven't caught with it, but who knows? a new feature will come and will change things up...

5. "Let it go..."; if it's an old love...it will come back...and if not...maybe it's time to move on to another hobby (like opening a wood-shop, and I'm not kidding, or try to build model airplanes etc..). First priority is to be happy :)

JetManHuss.

First priority is to be happy

A big +! on that!!

See how I did that? A "big" +1 :D

Sorry. I can't help myself sometimes.

If you are looking for a new challenge, you might be interested in joining the Flightsim Team in the Round The World Race. Take a look in the Multiplayer Adventures forum. I've only been in one so far, but we had a LOT of fun. You have to learn how to fly a lot of different planes, and land at a lot of different, and difficult, airports.

Like, for example, I had to try and fly into a mountain region in Russia in an F-86, and then next, a Hawker Sea Fury into a low-lying, sea-side airport in Viet Nam. Then a Beech 350 into a difficult runway in Hawaii, and a 737 into a place in the Yukatan. I crashed hte F-86, but I think you see the fun it can be. I hadn't flown the F-86 in a loooong time, and never the 737.

Definately a challenge. And you need to do it as part of the team, as fast as you can. We are trying to beat a couple other teams' times to go all the way round the world. We need route developers, pilots, all of it.

Just a quick plug. I need to get back to practicing!

Whatevr you do, though, enjoy it! Otherwise, what's the point??

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

One way to re-light the fire is to take a step back & realise that we are not going to find the 'Holy Grail' of flight sims & also try step away from the dreaded 'Analysis Paralysis' syndrome.

There is no 'best' flight sim, & we must stop chasing our tail getting the highest frames or the best/fastest hardware. At the end of the day, (here we go..) it's only a game, (apart from P3D where we are not supposed to be entertained), albeit a very sophisticated one that tends to enflame our passions & obsessions.

Maybe the answer is to just get back to basics again. If you cut out all the eye candy & bells 'n whistles, a plane will fly more or less the same in FS9, FSX & P3D.

I was also getting bored trying to find the lastest plane/scenery whatever.

I then thought what had really interested me in the early days, so I went back in time & looked through all the old forums, yes even the 2004 ones.

I fired up my FS2004 & loaded a lot of Ed & Garry's stuff from http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/, as well as most of Bill Lyons's stuff. Not forgetting Milton's planes as well as a bit from Ted Cook.

I found FUN again!! Yes, I had forgotten the good old days, before the days of making sure each & every switch was flicked, before the tubes & before trying to remember what view I was in & if I pressed the 'A' or the 'W' to get me there.

Yes, the good 'ol low & slow days, trying to navigate with Radio Range, Bill Lyon's missions, most of his packages came with a car, boat & plane, even a skier, with a great story line as well. Lionheart's Bugatti & Valkyrie missions were great as well!.

So, you don't need the latest to enjoy & have fun. There's even Harry Potter on a broom out there, to fly in Las Vegas, or any other decent scenery, or even a car or two do drive around.

Guys, don't forget the good old days that really fed our passion, honour those freeware guys that added to our immersion, & realise that sometimes, we already have found our very own 'Holy Grail', & we have always had it.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

...& realise that sometimes, we already have found our very own 'Holy Grail', & we have always had it.

Man...You have uncovered the core. Bright light went out.

I've lost my night-vision...

This thread is one of the best I've seen or participated for a long time...

A collection of wonderful people.

Actually it is like any other technical "how to" thread, but instead of talking about cpu's, tweeking and stuff, we talk about ourselves.

My conclusion is that the fire never dies.

JetManHuss.

I realize that this is a four month old thread and by now you may be happily 'flying' the Atlantic as I write this...If you don't feel like flying, don't. Maybe you just need a break.

I like to read the aviation news and online blogs. When I see something that makes me think "gee, I should try THAT in Flightsim", I write it down. When I have gathered enough of those, I boot up and make a nice evening of it. I'm not into marathon sessions.

I can only think of one thing to take you away from flight simming is trout fishing !!!!!!

In the Sierra Mountains, near Donner Pass.

My parents have a couple of cabins there, and I've spent many a georgeous summer day standing up to my kness in that freezing cold water fly fishing. I didn't care how much I caught, I just loved to fish.

I will say though, that while I am not a huge sea-food fan (lobster, abalone, conch, and Mahi-Mahi excepted :D) something about the trout caught in those streams makes it just taste fantastic. Heck, the only part I never liked was the yellow-jackets seeming to want me to share. By force if they had to...

Nasty little creatures.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

This is one of the funniest posts within this thread. You, apparently have no interests in other things in your life. I, however, do. I have a family, kids, grandkids, other hobbies, a small business, yard work, traveling, and I could go on and on. Flight simulation is a hobby. It does not give me the same pleasure that my family does. I have things in my life that take precidence over one "hobby". I do occasionally fire up a sim, be it FS2004, FSX, or FSX-SE. They are just not a priority in my life.

You also don't have a clue how many hours I spend daily monitoring these forums to make sure things are running as they should. And, if you wish to promote your upcoming product, there is a forum dedicated to that product.

Darrell

Totally amazing that a main moderator would say:

"Just too many things going to do much with simming. Maybe this winter when its too cold to be outside."

I'm not going to reply to any explanation so nobody has to bother, I'm just baffled as to why one remains a moderator at flightsim.com if there is such little time. In my view this is positive proof that this hobby is dying. But hope is on the horizon for those who can still hold on to hope.

Anyway, I think that lost "fire" is due to the slump that we are in because of MS trying to pull a DLC campaign on us with MS Flight, causing them to crash and burn.

--X-Plane is so dependent on 3rd parties who all have "real jobs", nothing can happen fast enough for even a sloth.

--AeroFly 2 claimed a whole earth, come to find out that only a very small part of their earth is detailed more "dependency" on 3rd parties.

--P3D V3 is ok - it still OOM's for me. The licensing legalistic package & pricing structure that comes with it is way out of control.

Plus the fact that P3D is built on such an ancient platform does not help. They claim simmers are a very small part of their business, I think that is a story, but if its true, good for them, but what about us simmers?

Some good news in the form of DTG releasing FSX-SE to try and revitalize the community helped, but we still wait for what their new simulator brings. I have begged them not to try that DLC campaign as part of the business plan. I told them that if their new sim is not a 64bit, DX12, full earth, successor to FSX/P3D then I will not support their effort. It is up to DTG what they do and so far they have zero to say about it.

Now, the best news to rekindle any fire is in the more recent events happening at NGiS. They fully intend to make a new flight sim from scratch. They fully intend to make a full earth, and make this the "go to" simulator of choice for veterans and the curious. So if you are finding this flight simming hobby dull and boring here of late - its no wonder why, but NGiS has a plan to resuscitate this stagnate state we are in. The forums there are active and we get communication often about what is going on with the project.

http://nexgenflightsim.com/

It would not hurt to encourage them in their massive endeavor. By doing so, some volatile chemicals can be added to the fire that is getting smothered by this slump we are in: [[ OOM or cutting back the sliders, the same airports detailed over and over (how many more KSFO or KMIA versions do we need?), 747 737 A320 C172 C182 its the same planes over and over, and so so many texture packages]]

Flight simming needs help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Smiffy , as you can see we all go through phases of "getting bored " , here is a thought , have you considered joining a VA ? there are many out there it depends on what your looking for like as real as it gets va's to casual flying , bush flying , military etc the list goes on and on , not only are they challenging but you get to meet new people from all over the world , its great , here are 4 va's i run , take a look and decide if this can help re-fuel the fire .

http://www.usafvgroup.com/usafv/index.php/

http://www.aircharter-freight-virtual.us/acsv/index.php/

http://goldcoast-aviation-virtual.us/gcav/index.php/

http://www.usnvgrp.org/usnv/

IF any of these do not fit your style , then may i suggest you go to VA CENTRAL http://www.vacentral.net/ and look at at the hundreds of va's on there , i promise you what ever va you join you will re-light that flying bug again . wish you all the best in what ever you choose to do .

"Pilots do it with Thrust"

Archived