747 Flap Settings During Climb After Takeoff

SouthportGuy

Google was not my friend on this so I'm asking what flap settings to apply during climb after takeoff. Do the kneeboard limits apply no matter if its approach or departure?
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Allow me to preface this by saying...I'm not an engineer by any stretch, nor do I have a manual...

From Airliners.net:

British Airways and Quantas SOP, 747-400 take off flaps set at 20

...Not sure if thats 20 cables....or 20 feet...thats an awful lot of flaps, 20 feet worth...:p:p

Weight, runway length, temperature, pressure altitude all effect flap settings. I use the FMC performance settings. :)

That's the best way. That will give you the flap guides on the speed tape,

assuming a good plane. Most retract well ahead of the placard speed limits,

and usually the same on the descent in reverse. Another plus is it will give you

your Vref for a selected landing flaps setting.

I'm using the default 747 with partial FMC so it won't give me suggested flap settings.

What I do:

Set flaps for 15

Take off - speed gets to 240 knots

Since my flap limit chart says I can have flaps at 10 at 240 knots, I keep flaps at 10 until I reach 10000 feet.

Once I'm over 10000 feet I reduce flaps all the way to 0 and increase speed to 300 knots.

Those are my steps so far. I was just wondering what the guideline is.

Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Flaps are panels that extend and hang behind and below the wing. They make he wing surface bigger. More wing area is more wing area that contributes to lift.

But flaps are fragile. And because they curve below the wing they hang directly in the airstream.

I don't have the kneeboard handy here, I'll just take that one value you mentioned.

Flaps 10 -- Max240

Means:

If with flaps 10 set you fly faster then 240 knots, they will ripp off. The wing can get damaged quite heavily if that happens.

And:

With flaps set to 10 you shouldn't fly to slow. What's to slow... well that's difficult.

The flap next flap setting was Flaps 20 -- Max 220 I believe. Let's assume for a second that it is.

With that known, I would not fly flaps 10 at less then 210 knots. Lower then that and it is definetly time to extend flaps 20.

About your takeoff. Do you mean yo are going 210 knots while on the runway?? Seems a bit dangerous. If you get off the centreline at those speeds you will lose all controll and crash.

What i usually do is a more relaxed method. I set full flaps. (Max speed Flaps full = 180 I think in 747) I set the speed in the autothrottle window to 178. But I don't engage the autothrottle yet.

That way the palne will want to lift at 140-145 knots. So around that speed I rotate and set a slow climb. I also engage the autothrottle.

I then set the speed on the autothrottle to 200, and as the speed aproaches 180 knots I raise the flaps 1 step.

Then I make the turn to the direction I want to fly and, if used, make it follow the programmed flightplan.

Once travelling in the right direction I speed up to 235 (flap10) until 10.000.

During the departure I keep my VS low. I don't look at the VS too much. Instead I look at the pitch and try to keep it at 7 degrees or less.

At lower weights you will be able to fly a highr VS and still have ok pitch. At heigh weights Your VS will be much lower.

The reason to stay slow while looking for your final heading (on departure) is because if you go fast your turns will be much much wider. You'll just be wasting fuel.

Something a little different:

If horizontal speed is twice as high, and vertical speed is twice as high you will still have pretty much the same pitch.

That means that once you get above 10.000 and speed up, you can really start increasing vertical speed. And as you go to Mach speed there's another little bump.

Oh, and don't forget to reset your altimeter a few times (press B). That affects the pitch.

(I forgot the point I was making, if any, but I hope the info helps.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't run the 747, but from what I can gather it's flaps are set when the next

flap setting maneuvering speed is met. It's a bit different than the 737's I run.

From a real worlder post on another forum concerning the 747-400, which is

different from the 747 classics..

An example: at 310t, Vref30 will equal approximately 160kts. Thus flaps 5 minimum speed

will be 200 (VREF + 40), flaps 1 will be 220 (REF + 60) and flaps up will be 240 kts (REF +

80). While "cleaning up", flaps 5 are set passing 200, flaps 1 at 220 and flaps up at 240

(although above 307-ish tons, full maneuvering speed will only be achieved at Ref +100) .

Note that this is different from the classic where the +20/+40/+60/+80 are referenced to V2... on the -400 they're referenced to the Vref flap 30 speed for the current weight.

So.. Normally I would expect to be at 250 knots and flaps up by the time I get

to 10k.. With the 737, I'm cleaned up and climbing at 250 knots well before getting

to 10k. I'll usually have the flaps up by the time I get to about 200-210 knots or so

with the 737, even though the flaps placard limits allow flaps 2 up to 240 knots

with that plane. But the 747 is a bit different animal..

Great responses guys. That really brings clarity. And to answer, I didn't mean that I'm at 240 while still on the rwy. I meant once i'm climbing out of the airport.

That means that once you get above 10.000 and speed up, you can really start increasing vertical speed. And as you go to Mach speed there's another little bump.

)

Actually in the real world, the climb below 10k can be mighty steep depending on

load, and is usually a faster climb rate than after passing 10k and goosing up to

speed. But with the default and freeware planes you don't see this as they don't

have an N1 mode.

With the 737, it will often climb like a scalded house cat below 10k. The reason being

it's using a constant N1, and adjusts speed by pitch. So to keep it at 250 knots,

you ended up climbing like a rocket. Once passing 10k, the plane will pitch down to

increase speed, and in most cases will never climb quite as fast as the initial climb

even after it builds up speed and continues it's N1 climb. With the 737-600 I sometimes

run with a light BBJ load, it's not uncommon to climb out in the 4000-5000 fpm range

below 10k ft. It will never be that high once I pass 10k and build speed to the usual

290-300 knots or whatever depending on the cost index.

Oh, and don't forget to reset your altimeter a few times (press B).

Why is that? I've taken the step of adjusting altimeter given by ATIS and ATC but other than that I ignore adjusting it until my system autoadjusts it at FL180.

I use fsrealwx lite.

Before departure, at the have I set the altimeter correctly. I use B for that. (setting manually is possible too, but I'm lazy as usual.)

by the time I'm lined up for takeoff the weather may have updated, so I reset again. (if it had changed, resetting with B you will see the altitude on altimeter jump.)

Then on departure I overfly different airports. Each one has its own barometer value. So resetting once or twice is nice. But not essential as differences are usually small.

Crossing 18k it needs to be set to 29.92 value. No matter the actual local pressure.

In my aircraft that does not happe automatically.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use fsrealwx lite.

Before departure, at the have I set the altimeter correctly. I use B for that. (setting manually is possible too, but I'm lazy as usual.)

by the time I'm lined up for takeoff the weather may have updated, so I reset again. (if it had changed, resetting with B you will see the altitude on altimeter jump.)

Then on departure I overfly different airports. Each one has its own barometer value. So resetting once or twice is nice. But not essential as differences are usually small.

Crossing 18k it needs to be set to 29.92 value. No matter the actual local pressure.

In my aircraft that does not happe automatically.

ATC also tells you the current pressure often as well. I just don't worry too much about it except when setting up for takeoff and landing. BTW: It's not R.W., but I have no problem hitting B when the ATC gives me a pressure reading way off what my altimeter is set at. However, if mine is close and I'm in cruise mode, I usually don't even bother to do that.

Another not R.W. shortcut in FSX which I love is the radio and I.F.F. frequency changes. I like it that when I respond to a frequency change instruction my sim does it without my input. For one thing, ATC instructs way more frequency changes than I typically experienced while R.W. flying. Not having a FO while simming, I'm happy to let the FSX be my FO stand in for frequency changes too.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Not sure if thats 20 cables....or 20 feet...thats an awful lot of flaps, 20 feet worth...

Brian

The numbers are degrees down from the up position.

This explains it better than I ca.

Bruce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_%28aeronautics%29

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Check you flight manual for that 747 you are flying. It will tell you what the TO flaps should be. Someone mentioned 15 and that sounds about right. I don't fly the 747 but I do fly the 737NGX and the procedures are fairly similar.

Flap retraction after TO: for almost all jetliners this is the procedure:

1. There is a "flap retraction schedule" that is listed in your 747 flight manual. Basically, you will retract flaps one notch at a time as your airspeed increases.

2. After take off, you should be leveling off at what is called an "acceleration altitude"...I use 5000 feet as my standard but in the real world it will depend on the airport TO procedures...but you can use 3000 or 5000 feet and you'll be close.

3. While the aircraft is leveling off, it will be picking up speed...this is to give you the opportunity to retract the flaps, one notch at a time, until they are fully up (clean configuration). Do not leave your flaps out until you reach 10,000 feet. That is never done in the real world (how do I know that?).

4. Check you minimum flaps maneuvering speed chart in your flight manual...you MUST know what airspeed is safe for each TO flap setting before you retract...the PFD usually has a flaps marker bug on the airspeed tape so all you have to do is LOOK!

5. Your goal is to be accelerating towards 250 KIAS (remember this is the speed limit below 10,000 feet). Once you are cleaned up and at or near 250 knots, you can resume your climb and get on with your route.

This is the general procedure for flap retraction after taking off.

Hi Ralph,

You say,(quoted freely): "On the runway, setting up, use flaps 15."

Are those real world values? It may be true in real life. I have no idea of the real values.

But in FSX that I don't think it's the right way to fly the 747.

The pitch at which that thing flies is already way to steep. Takeoff with flaps 15 and you will be pitch up 20% or more. And you will probably get a tailstrike and crash if you fly with crash detection on. Especially with fuel on board for crossing an ocean.

In fsx a steep pitch in flight may be survivable. But in real life flying with over 20 degrees pitch up you will most definetely stall.

To takeoff in the default 747_400 you will need full flaps. If light maybe one notch less, but that's it.

Btw, here's the info from the kneeboard regarding takeoff. It's no help at all. All "As Required".

It does make you think and look things up. For that it is very usefull. But the list does not really provide many straight answers.

BEFORE TAKEOFF

[ ] Flaps

SET FOR TAKEOFF

(press F7 as necessary)

[ ] Flight Director

ON

[ ] Autothrottle

ARM

(if using TO/GA mode for takeoff)

TAKEOFF

[ ] Brakes

RELEASE

(press PERIOD key)

[ ] Strobe Lights

ON

[ ] Transponder

ALT

(press SHIFT+2 to display radio stack)

[ ] Thrust Levers

ADVANCE TO 1.05 EPR

(press F2 or F3 as necessary)

[ ] Thrust Levers

ADVANCE SMOOTHLY TO 100% N1

(press F2 or F3 as necessary)

--or--

[ ] TO/GA Mode

ENGAGE

(press CTRL+SHIFT+R)

[ ] Thrust

VERIFY CORRECT FOR TAKEOFF

[ ] Airspeed 80 KIAS

CALLOUT "80 KNOTS"

[ ] Airspeed V1

CALLOUT "V1"

[ ] Airspeed VR

CALLOUT "ROTATE"

--ROTATE TO APPROX. 10 DEGREES PITCH UP--

[ ] Airspeed V2

CALLOUT "V2"

[ ] Landing Gear

UP (WHEN POSITIVE CLIMB ESTABLISHED)

(press G)

[ ] Autopilot Heading Select switch

ON IF DESIRED

[ ] Airspeed

MAINTAIN V2+15 KIAS

[ ] Autopilot

ENGAGE

[ ] Flaps

START RETRACT ON SCHEDULE AT 1,000' AGL

(press F6 as necessary)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. You are manually flying the TO...so I don't know where you are getting the 20 degrees pitch up from? I don't mention 20 degrees so I'm wondering where and why you are mentioning it? (its a friendly question).

You won't hit the tail skid if you make a normal rotation. That has nothing to do with your flaps or weight...your rotation should be the same for each TO...smooth...and always aware if you pull to much you'll hit the tail. And BTW a good target is to pull 2 degrees per second until you reach what ever INITIAL pitch up attitude the flight manual says to stop at (10 degrees?) so you don't hit the tail. But what flaps you are using has nothing to do with hitting the tail...YOU are in control of that. After clearing the ground, now you can adjust your pitch to your target airspeed -- V2 + 15 as you say or what ever it is (in the flight manual).

2. I don't use the knee board and have no idea where that data comes from...but you should be using the take off procedures from the flight manual that came with your 747 or get one if you don't have one. Those are the procedures you need to follow. Notice how often I mention the flight manual? There is a big clue there.

3. I don't know why anyone would want to TO with full flaps. That certainly is NEVER done in the real world. You cannot even calculate your TO V Speeds with full flaps...that data exists NO WHERE because its never done. If someone has to TO using full flaps then something is very wrong with their setup/configuration.

4. Taking off and establishing a nose up climbing attitude of 20 degrees pitch up will NOT stall a real jetliner. I'm not saying to establish 20 degrees nose up for the 747...you will establish the pitch up necessary to maintain V2 + 15 (or what ever the flight manual says to target for your initial climb airspeed).

Your airspeed will determine what pitch you end up with on initial climb out...but I can tell you 20 degrees is not going to make it stall in the real world. In fact, many jetliners are capable of taking off and establishing a nose up pitch beyond 20 degrees, but it's too much for the cabin crew to roll carts around...so many of the airlines have lowered the max pitch climb out angle ONLY because of that, not because the plane was nearing a stall.

5. I don't know what model 747-400 you are flying but maybe the flight dynamics isn't the best or maybe your CG is out of limits. If its the PMDG model, that one flys pretty close to the real deal so if that's the one you have, then you are doing something wrong because your pitch shouldn't be "way too high" during any phase of fight.

6. Another friendly question: I assume you are setting your pitch trim before take off? Where do you get that number from? If you're just guessing then most likely that is the pitch problem you are experiencing. It has to be set pretty close to what is correct and your FMS should tell you what that value is. If you don't have that value in the FMS then you're really stuck. In order to fly a jetliner correctly you must know the correct pitch trim value, otherwise you are going to have pitch problems for the whole flight.

Please let me be clear: if you're not all that worried about flying a 747 "the correct way" then by all means, just go fly, get it into the air anyway you can and just have fun!!! Enjoy your game. On the other hand, if you're having problems flying your 747, it usually means you're not doing something right. Through questions and answers in these forums we can usually find the answer and solve the specific problem.

All meant well from me too.

The plane I am talking about is the default fsx B747_400.

And if you would set flaps 15 in that, you would get a tailstrike when you rotate. Especially at full weight. Less pitch, and it just wont lift.

(Except of course if you get to an enormous speed while still on the ground.)

(Actually the default 747_400 does not have a flaps 15 setting, but that is beside the point.)

The maximum speed given for the B747_400 in the kneeboard is 220 knots.

What is there against seting full flaps, rotating at 150 knots, and calmly and safely climbing out at 180 knots for the first 2000 to 3000 feet.

Flaps are devices that add more lift at low speeds. Why not use them as such.

I see people on various forums saying you should take off with flaps 5. To me that seems like thie most silly thing one could do.

I could be completely wrong though. But my basic aerodynamics knowledge tells me I can't be far off.

If you can clear things up I would be glad to hear it.

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

>The maximum speed given for the B747_400 in the kneeboard is 220 knots.

Well, this just flat out wrong. ANY FSX 747 should be climbing out at 250 KIAS below 10,000 feet. Period. Saying (the kneeboard) the max speed is 220 is just wrong.

>What is there against seting full flaps, rotating at 150 knots, and calmly and safely climbing out at 180 knots for the first 2000 to 3000 feet.

Wow...there are so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin. I guess you didn't read my previous post: (1) You can't determine your TO V Speeds for a full flaps take off. (2) That is never done in the real world. (3) You shouldn't just rotate at 150 knots and (4) you shouldn't just climb out at 180 knots.

However -- it seems to make you happy, so I guess continue doing what you are doing and have fun!! I'm done here.

Hi Ralph,

The Maximum speed given for....

What I meant of course is: The maximum speed given for flaps 20 in the kneeboard 1s 220 knots.

I'll show you what I mean.

Here are images of two takeoffs, full weight, 13000 foot runway.

Both in default 747_400. Both at full weight.

First image at flaps 10. Pulliing back the stick as far as I can, Rotation never happens until I also start adding more and more pitch trim. Then it starts to rotate at 180 knots, and finally lifts off at 190 knots. Pitch is at that moment 10 degrees nose-up. and increases very quickly to 15 degrees nose up.

I hi Escape at that point. I was in outside view. But even if in the cocpit at that time it would have been very hard to control.

Notice how steep it pitched up and how close it gets to a tailstrike.

Notice also I run off the end of the runway.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Here another takeoff. Same basic ingredients. Now with full flaps.

Rotation starts at 160 knots. Liftoff occurs at 176.

At the time the pitch is a very leisurely 8 degrees nose up.

I overspeed the flaps slightly (186 knots where 180 is allowed) shortly after liftoff but that would not happen when in the cockpit.

Notice the much lower pitch of the aircraft. And the much earlier liftoff.

After that I took a few more snaps. The pitch stayed the same.

The second approach, full (or almost full) flaps seems much more controlled to me.

But I am not used to flying the way you described. I may have not done what you mean.

il88pp

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope you will pop in again.

I would like to know, why is it not possible to calculate V-speeds for full flaps?

From experience in ffsx I know V-Rotate speed when using full flaps in the B747_400 is around 150-160 knots, depending on weight. At full weight it will rotate and lift off at 160 knots. When almost empty it rotates and lifts just above 150 knots.

I like calculations. What is the reason this could not be calculated? Thank you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[TABLE=width: 100%][TR][TD=class: gstable]Boeing 747–400 Flight Notes[/TD][/TR][TR][TD=bgcolor: #000000]http://krepelka.com/fsweb/common/images/1ptrans.gif[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=align: right][TR][TD]C[TABLE=class: relatedlinktablethin, width: 1][TR=class: article-bodycopy][TD]http://krepelka.com/fsweb/common/images/relatedbullet.gif[/TD][TD]

[/TD][/TR][TR=class: article-bodycopy][TD]http://krepelka.com/fsweb/common/images/relatedbullet.gif[/TD][TD]

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD=colspan: 2, align: center]http://krepelka.com/fsweb/common/images/1ptrans.gif[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Many factors affect flight planning and aircraft operation, including aircraft weight, weather, and runway surface. The recommended flight parameters listed below are intended to give approximations for flights at maximum takeoff or landing weight on a day with International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) conditions.

[TABLE=class: note][TR][TD]Important: These instructions are intended for use with Flight Simulator only and are no substitute for using the actual aircraft manual for real-world flight.

Note: As with all of the Flight Simulator aircraft, the V-speeds and checklists are located on the Kneeboard. To access the Kneeboard while flying, press SHIFT+F10, or on the Aircraft menu, click Kneeboard.

Note: All speeds given in Flight Notes are indicated airspeeds. If you're using these speeds as reference, be sure that you select "Display Indicated Airspeed" in the Realism Settings dialog box. Speeds listed in the specifications table are shown as true airspeeds.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=class: note][TR][TD]By default, this aircraft has full fuel and payload. Depending on atmospheric conditions, altitude and other factors, you will not get the same performance at gross weight that you would with a lighter load.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Required Runway Length

The length required for both takeoff and landing is a result of a number of factors, such as aircraft weight, altitude, headwind, use of flaps, and ambient temperature.

Lower weights and temperatures will result in better performance, as will having a headwind component. Higher altitudes and temperatures will degrade performance.

Engine Startup

The engines are running by default when you begin a flight. If you shut the engines down, it is possible to initiate an auto-startup sequence by pressing CTRL+E on your keyboard.

Taxiing

Maximum taxi weight is 853,000 pounds (386,913 kilograms).

Reverse thrust is forbidden for backing the 747–400 out of parking or at any time during taxiing.

• The –400's response to thrust change is slow, particularly at high gross weights. Idle thrust is adequate for taxiing under most conditions, but you'll need a slightly higher thrust setting to get the aircraft rolling. Allow time for a response after each thrust change before changing the thrust setting again.
  • The –400 has a ground speed indication on the HSI. Normal straight taxi speed should not exceed 20 knots. For turns, 8 to 12 knots are good for dry surfaces.

In Flight Simulator, rudder pedals (twist the joystick, use the rudder pedals, or press 0

or ENTER

on the numeric keypad) are used for directional control during taxiing. Avoid stopping the 747 during turns, as excessive thrust is required to get moving again.

Flaps

The following table lists recommended maneuvering speeds for various flap settings. The minimum flap-retraction altitude is 400 feet, but 1,000 feet complies with most noise abatement procedures. When extending or retracting the flaps, use the next appropriate flap setting depending on whether you're slowing down or speeding up.

[TABLE=class: article-bodycopy, width: 50%][TR][TD]Flap Position[/TD][TD] ½ fuel[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps Up[/TD][TD]210[/TD][TD]220[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps 1[/TD][TD]190[/TD][TD]220[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps 5[/TD][TD]170[/TD][TD]180[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps 10[/TD][TD]160[/TD][TD]170[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps 15[/TD][TD]150[/TD][TD]160[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Flaps 25[/TD][TD]140[/TD][TD]150[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Remember, these are minimum speeds for flap operation. Flying slower than this at bank angles of 40 degrees would initiate the stick shaker. For VFE speeds, see the Kneeboard. Adding 15 to 20 knots to these speeds is recommended if maneuvering with large bank angles, and in general, provides a good safety margin. On climbout, lowering the nose to give an additional 15 to 20 knots will also give you better forward vision from the cockpit.

In adverse weather conditions, taxi with the wing flaps up, and then set takeoff flaps during your Before Takeoff checklist procedure. Likewise, retract the flaps as soon as practicable upon landing.

Flaps are generally not used on the 747–400 to increase the descent rate during the descent from en route altitude. Normal descents are made in the clean configuration to pattern or Initial Approach Point (IAP) altitude.

Takeoff

All of the following occurs quite rapidly. Read through the procedure several times before attempting it in the plane so you know what to expect.

Run through the Before Takeoff checklist, and set flaps to 5 (press F7, or click the flap lever on the panel).

With the aircraft aligned with the runway centerline, advance the throttles (press F3, or drag the throttle levers) to approximately 40 percent N1. This allows the engines to spool up to a point where uniform acceleration to takeoff thrust will occur on both engines. The exact amount of initial setting is not as important as setting symmetrical thrust.

As the engines stabilize (this occurs quickly), advance the thrust levers to takeoff thrust—less than or equal to 100 percent N1. Final takeoff thrust should be set by the time the aircraft reaches 60 KIAS. Directional control is maintained by use of the rudder pedals (twist the joystick, use the rudder pedals, or press 0

or ENTER

on the numeric keypad).

Below about 80 KIAS, it's easy to stop the airplane on the runway using the brakes only.

• V1, approximately 159 KIAS, is decision speed. Above V1, you probably won't be able to stop the airplane on the runway after an engine failure or other problem.
  • At Vr, approximately 177 KIAS, smoothly pull the stick (or yoke) back to raise the nose to 10 degrees above the horizon. Hold this pitch attitude and be careful not to over-rotate (doing so before liftoff could cause a tail strike).
  • At V2, approximately 188 KIAS, the aircraft has reached its takeoff safety speed. This is the minimum safe flying speed if an engine fails. Hold this speed until you get a positive rate of climb.

As soon as the aircraft is showing a positive rate of climb on liftoff (both vertical speed and altitude are increasing), retract the landing gear (press G, or drag the landing gear lever). The aircraft will quickly accelerate to V2+15.

At 1,000 feet (305 meters), reduce flaps from 5 to 1 (press F6, or drag the flaps lever). Continue accelerating to 200 KIAS, at which point you can go to flaps up (press F6 again).

Climb

As you retract the flaps, set climb power to approximately 90 percent N1 (press F2, use the throttle control on your joystick, or drag the thrust levers). Maintain 6- or 7-degrees nose-up pitch attitude to climb at 250 KIAS to 10,000 feet, then 340 knots to 25,000 feet, then 0.84 Mach to cruise altitude.

Cruise

Cruise altitude is normally determined by winds, weather, and other factors. You might want to use these factors in your flight planning if you have created weather systems along your route. Optimum altitude is the altitude that gives the best fuel economy for a given configuration and gross weight. A complete discussion about choosing altitudes is beyond the scope of this section.

Let's say you've filed a flight plan for FL350. Approaching your cruising altitude, take 10 percent of the rate of climb or descent, and convert that number to feet. For example, if you're climbing or descending at 1000 FPM, start leveling off 100 ft before you reach the target altitude.

You'll find it's much easier to operate the Boeing 747–400 in climb, cruise, and descent if you use the autopilot. The autopilot can hold the altitude, speed, vertical speed, heading, or navaid course you specify. For more information about using autopilots, see Using an Autopilot

Normal cruise speed is Mach 0.85. You can set .85 in the autopilot Mach hold window and engage the Hold button (click the Mach button). Set the A/T Arm (click the switch to engage the autothrottles), and the autothrottles will set power at the proper percent to maintain this cruise speed. The changeover from indicated airspeed to Mach number typically occurs as you climb to altitudes of 20,000 to 30,000 feet (6,000 to 9,000 meters).

Remember that your true airspeed is actually much higher than your indicated airspeed in the thin, cold air. You'll have to experiment with power settings to find the setting that maintains the cruise speed you want at the altitude you choose.

Descent

A good descent profile includes knowing where to start down from cruise altitude and planning ahead for the approach. Normal descent is done using idle thrust and clean configuration (no speed brakes). A good rule for determining when to start your descent is the 3-to-1 rule (three miles distance per thousand feet in altitude). Take your altitude in feet, drop the last three zeros, and multiply by 3.

For example, to descend from a cruise altitude of 35,000 feet (10,668 meters) to sea level:

35,000 minus the last three zeros is 35.

35 x 3=105.

This means you should begin your descent 105 nautical miles from your destination, maintaining a speed of 250 KIAS (about 45 percent N1) and a descent rate of 1,500 to 2,000 feet per minute, with thrust set at idle. Add two extra miles for every 10 knots of tailwind.

To descend, disengage the autopilot if you turned it on during cruise, or set the airspeed or vertical speed into the autopilot and let it do the flying for you. Reduce power to idle, and lower the nose slightly. The 747–400 is sensitive to pitch, so ease the nose down just a degree or two. Remember not to exceed the regulation speed limit of 250 KIAS below 10,000 feet (3,048 meters). Continue this profile down to the beginning of the approach phase of flight.

Deviations from the above can result in arriving too high at the destination (requiring circling to descend) or arriving too low and far out (requiring expenditure of extra time and fuel). Plan to have an initial approach fix regardless of whether or not you're flying an instrument approach.

It takes about 35 seconds and three miles (5.5 kilometers) to decelerate from 290 KIAS to 250 KIAS in level flight without speed brakes. It takes another 35 seconds to slow to 210 KIAS. Plan to arrive at traffic-pattern altitude at the flaps-up maneuvering speed about 12 miles out when landing straight-in, or about eight miles out when entering a downwind approach. A good crosscheck is to be at 10,000 ft AGL (3,048 meters) 30 miles (55.5 kilometers) from the airport at 250 KIAS.

Approach

The 747–400 won't slow down quickly just because you throw the gear and flaps down. Have your aircraft configuration (flaps and landing gear) set and your target speed hit well in advance. Excess speed in the –400 will require a level flight segment to slow down.

If you're high coming into the approach, you can use the speed brakes to increase descent. If possible, avoid using the speed brakes to increase descent when wing flaps are extended. Do not use speed brakes below 1,000 feet AGL.

On an instrument approach, be configured for landing and have your speed nailed by the final approach fix (where you intercept the glide slope), usually about five miles from touchdown.

Set flaps to 1 (press F7, or drag the flaps indicator or lever) when airspeed is reduced below the minimum flaps-up maneuvering speed. Normally, this would be when entering the downwind leg or at the initial approach fix, so you should be at the desired airspeed by this point. You can then continue adding flaps as you get down to the speed limits for each setting.

Flaps 30 is the setting for normal landings. At flaps 40, which is used for short runways, the aircraft settles rapidly once you chop the power.

When the glide slope comes alive, extend the landing gear (press G, or drag the landing gear lever).

The proper final approach speed varies with weight, but a good target speed at typical operating weight is 135 to 140 KIAS.

With landing gear down and flaps at 30 degrees, set the power at 55 to 60 percent N1. This configuration should hold airspeed with a good descent angle toward the runway. Use small power adjustments and pitch changes to stay on the glidepath. You're looking for a descent rate of about 700 fpm.

Prior to landing, make sure the speed brake handle is in the ARM position.

Landing

Maximum landing weight is 630,000 pounds. Select a point about 1,000 feet (305 meters) past the runway threshold, and aim for it. Adjust your pitch so that the point remains stationary in your view out the windscreen.

As the threshold goes out of sight beneath you, shift the visual sighting point to about ¾ down the runway. When the aircraft's main wheels are about 15 feet (4.5 meters) above the runway, initiate a flare by raising the nose about 3 degrees. Move the thrust levers to idle, and fly the airplane onto the runway.

To assure adequate aft fuselage clearance on landing, fly the airplane onto the runway at the desired touchdown point. DO NOT hold the airplane off the runway for a soft landing.

Set the autobrakes before landing. When the main gear touch down, apply brakes smoothly (press the PERIOD key or Button 1—typically the trigger—on the joystick).

If you armed the spoilers, they will deploy automatically. If not, move the brake lever into the UP position now. Add reverse thrust (press F2, or drag the thrust levers into reverse). Make sure you come out of reverse thrust when airspeed drops below 60 knots.

Retract the flaps (press F6, or drag the flaps lever), and lower the spoilers (press SLASH [ / ], or click the brake lever) as you taxi to the terminal.

*from http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/aircraft/flightnotesboeing747-400.htm

Archived