Can old add-ons work with Prepar3d?

jefferysitz

I am just downloading my copy of Prepar3d and have not even installed it yet.

FSGenesis - I have (if I remember right, whatever the best was for 2004) 75m mesh for 2004 and 150m Mesh for FSX. I was wondering if I could use these products with Prepar3d.

FSUIPC and FS Navigator for 2004.

Ultimate Terrain for 2004.

a few payware and a bunch of freeware planes for 2004.

One I would really like to keep is the old Flight1/Dreamfleet C-177 Cardinal with the 2004 update. This is my favorite plane.

I might have USA Roads and Rails, or maybe I just thought about buying it.

I would appreciate any help as to which of these would be compatible.

Thanks in advance

jefferysitz

I don't think FS2004 mesh is compatible with FSX or P3D2. I wouldn't install it with the installer, but you could copy the .bgls from the disks or .zip files into a test_area\scenery folder somewhere and try adding it to the scenery library to see what happens. That way if it doesn't work you just remove it from the library and delete the folder - otherwise the installer will mix them into the scenery\global\scenery folder with a bunch of default files and you'll have to sort out which ones to remove to uninstall it. I've never let an FSGenesis installer have it's way with my installation for that very reason. An added bonus is that I can add my FSGenesis mesh to FSX and P3D2 both from the same folder which saves several Gb of disk space by not duplicating the installation for each sim.

On first try, I would say yes. I simply pointed the scenery to my existing 2004 mesh and moved it down to where it was just above the FSX mesh. I checked my local airport and it even had the big bank to the left of the runway. Flying around, the hills looked in the right spots and I did not see any flashes or tile effect.

FS Genesis does have a problem with sometimes one end of a runway being below ground level or up on a hill, but that problem is that MSFS cannot make a runway that is not level. When you get in the real world small airports are frequently not level. I have even flown to one where you cannot see an airplane on the other end of the runway because it goes over a hill. They may have fixed this in P3D but probably not because it is only noticeable if you use mesh.

Archived